dogs, pets

And We Have a New Vet!

It was time for Rumpy’s annual vaccinations, and I was scared.

IMG_4814

This is Rumpy BEFORE he realized he was going to the vet.

I’ve talked about how uncomfortable I was with the vet that had been treating Bubba. I’d already decided they weren’t a good fit for the Rumpster.  I’d honestly thought of driving him to Dothan to see our old vet, but I knew that was not realistic. I need a vet for him HERE.

So I got on the phone and started calling. I asked questions. I explained my concerns. I held my breath and made an appointment.

IMG_4820

This is Rumpy at the vet’s office. He’s not nearly as happy.

I knew when I got to the office that I’d struck gold. They loved Rumpy! And he did OK with them, even when the tech couldn’t find a vein for the heartworm test and had to keep poking him. The vet asked relevant questions relating to a big dog Rumpy’s age. And he was warm and affectionate toward Rumpy. I couldn’t have felt more comfortable.

I’ve been thinking about why I didn’t like that other vet clinic. It’s not that they’re bad people. They’re not inept. But they didn’t speak my language. They’re not a part of my world. I’m a down-to-earth kind of person who prefers the company of like-minded people.

Anyway, I’ve already made an appointment to take Bubba in. I think this clinic is a keeper.

47 thoughts on “And We Have a New Vet!

1. Woofhoo! Glad you finally find a great vet! Looks like you pals are in good hands! Hunter

Posted by Daisy C Chan | March 6, 2015, 11:11 PM
  2. Thank DOG. It’s so important. Your new vet sound a lot like the one we go to. We love them and they are all super warm to our whole family :}

Posted by bumpyroadtobubba | March 6, 2015, 11:44 PM
  3. It’s soooo important to feel that trust and be able to discuss things you need to know. Rumpy may feel differently!

Posted by Bernadette | March 6, 2015, 11:48 PM
  4. That’s like winning the lottery, Congrats!

Posted by easyweimaraner | March 7, 2015, 1:05 AM
  5. So glad that Rumpy has a vet who’s good for him.

Posted by anniegoldfisher | March 7, 2015, 1:36 AM
  6. You are so right. When we moved, as well as Doctors, Opticians and a Dentist for us, it was important to find a good vet for Maggie, one we felt comfortable with, had confidence in, and talked ‘doggie language’. Our previous vet was brilliant, Maggie didn’t mind going and she was made a fuss of. Also they were considerate towards us and our concerns, especially when Maggie had her leg problem and had to be knocked out for xrays. We were allowed to stay with her as she went under, and we were there when she came round. We’ve signed her on with a practice here (the best of 6 I ‘visited’) but we haven’t found ‘The Vet’ yet.

Posted by pensitivity101 | March 7, 2015, 1:46 AM
    • I know the feeling. I was signed on with a practice, and have taken Bubba Cat there twice, but I could tell from those experiences that that place wasn’t a good fit for Rumpy. He needs to be loved on… and forgiven when he poops in the yard.

Posted by rumpydog | March 7, 2015, 6:19 AM
  7. Happy to hear you have a vet who is the perfect for your four-legged family!

Posted by Barb | March 7, 2015, 2:21 AM
  8. Phew! A good vet makes life so much less worrying.

Posted by Animalcouriers | March 7, 2015, 3:36 AM
  9. Yay for the new vet. Talking the same language is important at a stressful place like the vet. What is the strategy of the 2 leashes? Am I seeing it right?

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | March 7, 2015, 5:39 AM
    • Rumpy is a handful, and wasn’t the star pupil at obedience school. When we are outside a fenced-area, I do two leashes. The one on the collar is for control, as he responds better to commands when they include a tug on that leash. But he’s slipped his collar before, so the harness and leash are a necessary accessory. I know, but it works for us, so I’m sticking with it.

Posted by rumpydog | March 7, 2015, 6:22 AM
  10. We are lucky also in that Ray has a vet who not only seems to be very proficient, but explains everything to us and … most importantly ….. loves dogs and shows it. Ray does not like needles but loves going to the vet! I guess it’s no different from family doctors in that some are very “normal” and friendly while others can make you feel as if you are an inconvenience.

Posted by colinandray | March 7, 2015, 6:47 AM
  11. We have a new holistic vet. She speaks cat and dog very well.

Posted by dogdaz | March 7, 2015, 7:01 AM
  12. That is great! Even though Austin hates going to the vet – hates doing anything outside daily routine – the vet, though awkward with humans, is so gentle with Austin; talks kindly and softly to him while prizing open his mouth and stabbing needles in him! As a result as soon as he’s on his way home, he’s his old self again. He just makes sure that I’m not out of his sight for a good few hours! I guess he wants me where he can see me!

Posted by CATachresis | March 7, 2015, 7:08 AM
  13. What a relief! Happy to hear this. 🙂

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | March 7, 2015, 8:28 AM
  14. We’re so happy, too to hear that Rumpy got a new vet who loved him! Hopefully the vet loves Bubba, too and helps his arthritis well! 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | March 7, 2015, 8:36 AM
  15. Did it help that you said, “Hey, I’m a world famous blogger, with millions of views, and tens of thousands of loyal followers?”

From a legend in his own mind… me. 🙂

Posted by bitcodavid | March 7, 2015, 9:28 AM
  16. Our long-term vet is slowly cutting back on hours. I have had to find a back up because my old cat gets sick weekends and holidays. I have been lucky. Although the new vet has both dogs and cats in her practice (the old one just did cats), there are two separate waiting areas. She has a lot of equipment on hand and does the blood tests on site rather than sending out. She (and her techs) are so gentle with Jake, he loves them. I have loyalty issues moving the other 3 cats to her but as my old vet moves to retirement, I will take them all to the new one. It’s unfortunate that my old vet hasn’t been able to partner with someone.

Posted by Kate Crimmins | March 7, 2015, 9:35 AM
  17. I think that I tried 7 vets before I found the perfect match. It is your money and you have to be happy with the vet. Glad that it finally worked out for you.

Posted by corkscot | March 7, 2015, 9:42 AM
  18. Yay! It’s always nice to find a good vet that you and the furry ones like!

Posted by Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom | March 7, 2015, 10:01 AM
  19. Dat’s so pawsum. Weez glad yous found and like yous new vet. Seems lots of peeps awe havin’ a change of Vets these days fur a vawiety of weasons. Sure hope weez not hav to change anytime soon.

Luv ya’

Dezi and Lexi

Posted by DezizWorld | March 7, 2015, 1:20 PM
  20. A good vet is one you can relate to. We’re glad you found one. 🙂

Posted by The Island Cats | March 7, 2015, 2:24 PM
  21. Yay! Makes all the difference in the world when you can relate to your fur babies’ vet. 🙂

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | March 8, 2015, 11:52 AM
  22. As much as I hate going to the vet, I know how important it is to have a good one – Glad you found a good one fur the Rumpster!

Posted by hairballexpress | March 8, 2015, 3:30 PM
  23. Finding a great vet is hard and very important. I also look for a staff that welcomes my pups with open arms, talks to them to help keep them calm and asks questions, although I usually do all the question asking! The most recent doctor they say I loved! He continually rubbed on Harmony, talked to her, explained procedures and medications and we left with a future health plan that gives me a goal to achieve for her health.

Posted by The Frugal Fur Mom | March 9, 2015, 9:01 AM
  24. that is great news,xx

Posted by speedyrabbit | March 10, 2015, 12:14 PM

1. Pingback: And We Have a New Vet! | Catgurl40's Blog - March 6, 2015

I say I'm helping Jen work, but she says I'm a hindrance. I say shes full of it. #eldercat #gingercat #cat #cats #catsofinstagram #cats_of_instagram