dogs

Rumpy’s Tummy is Under Attack by Terrorist Bacteria!

The Rumpster is sick.

Yesterday morning while we were walking, Rumpy produced a particularly stinky poo.

When I got home for lunch, he’d had an accident in the laundry room. It smelled awful. I switched him to a bland diet, but he continued to have diarrhea today, and this afternoon there was blood in the discharge.

So off to the vet we went.

Poor Rump. He was not happy at the vet’s office.

Rumpy’s ear canal was raw and infected. Dr. Gillespie cleaned out his ear, then put some medicine inside.

Dr. Gillespie shaved the Rumpster’s behind to get the poo off his bottom.

They shaved Rumpy’s butt to clean him up. Yep, that’s all from his behind.

The vet said Rumpy’s gut bacteria are out of whack. So a steroid shot and prescription meds, and he should be back on track in a few days.

I’m not sure what’s the cause of Rumpy’s gastric distress, but the vet wanted to know if he’s eaten any human food. I told him sure, every chance he gets.

But he won’t be eating anymore anytime soon.

63 thoughts on “Rumpy’s Tummy is Under Attack by Terrorist Bacteria!

1. Sounds like he needs some probiotics, too and some TLC. Poor baby!

Posted by KDKH | June 17, 2015, 7:13 PM
  2. Oh no…get well soon Rumpy. Chevvy has had tummy trouble too lately. I know how awful that is.

Posted by Jo Bryant | June 17, 2015, 7:20 PM
  3. Oh no, Rumpy, we’re so sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. Sending you good wags and barks that you’re better ASAP.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | June 17, 2015, 7:20 PM
  4. Sorry Rumpy is sick. Hope the meds help asap. Hard on mama’s of furkids too when the kids are sick.

Posted by Patricia | June 17, 2015, 7:21 PM
  5. poor thing- hope he feels better soon ❤

Posted by DailyMusings | June 17, 2015, 7:29 PM
  6. What a bummer, Rumpy. I hope you’re all better and begging for cookies soon. Hang in there, buddy. xoxo

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | June 17, 2015, 7:35 PM
  7. Oh Rumpy! Gets all betters sooowoooowoooooon!

Posted by Kuruk | June 17, 2015, 7:39 PM
  8. This happens sometimes. Hope the meds help a lot and quickly.

Woos – Ciara and Lightning

Posted by The OP Pack | June 17, 2015, 7:41 PM
  9. Me and Nellie hope you are feeling better soon

Posted by jaspersdoggyworld | June 17, 2015, 7:45 PM
  10. Riley says to tell Rumpy she knows what he’s going through and hopes he feels better soon!

Posted by rileysyear | June 17, 2015, 7:46 PM
  11. Poor baby. It’s not fun to have a tummy upset like that. Mommy was so quick to take you to the vet to get you meds to get you better. Ask mommy about giving you some white rice. That’s what mommy gave me when I was sick like you are. Feel better Rump. Hugs and licks and my paws are together to pray for you to get better FAST.

Posted by BJ Pup | June 17, 2015, 7:49 PM
  12. Feel better Rumpy! Yogurt and pumpkin might help. They both do very good things for puppy tummies.

Posted by ravensgolden | June 17, 2015, 7:57 PM
  13. Rumpy, I think they’re tricking you to keep the people food away from you. Don’t let them fool you. Keep eating that people food. And if they won’t let you near it, insist on lots of cookies. I hope you feel better soon.

Posted by Bongo | June 17, 2015, 7:59 PM
  14. Sorry to hear Rumpy isn’t feeling well. We hope the vets work will clear things up soon.

Posted by harrispen | June 17, 2015, 8:16 PM
  15. Awh poor Rumpy. Get well soon

Posted by Catherine Johnson | June 17, 2015, 8:54 PM
  16. Sorry to hear. Get well soon

— Your pal, Jack.

Posted by bitcodavid | June 17, 2015, 8:55 PM
  17. Poor guy! Feel better soon!

Posted by noodle4president | June 17, 2015, 9:23 PM
  18. Poor Rumpy! WE hope those meds help you feel better soon. And we will be purring and praying, and sending you love.

Posted by meowmeowmans | June 17, 2015, 9:43 PM
  19. Rumpy is getting…. Rumpy is getting…. Rumpy is getting…. Not eating man food would be not nice for Rumpy…. 🙂

Posted by rike jokanan | June 17, 2015, 9:43 PM
  20. Rumpy is getting well…. Rumpy is getting well…. Rumpy is getting well…. Not eating man food would be not nice for Rumpy…. 🙂

Posted by rike jokanan | June 17, 2015, 9:44 PM
  21. Feel better soon, Rumpy!

Posted by The Island Cats | June 17, 2015, 10:38 PM
  22. Oh no….I’m very sorry to hear that Rumpy had to be suffering from his bad condition….but am relieved to know that he didn’t have a
    difficult illness. I strongly hope that he gets better soon. hugs

Posted by eripanwkevin | June 17, 2015, 11:50 PM
  23. Poor Rumpy get well soon.

Posted by willowdot21 | June 18, 2015, 2:02 AM
  24. Get well soon lovely Rumpy, hugs and love, nia

Posted by niasunset | June 18, 2015, 2:36 AM
  25. Oh, I hope this is resolved soon, poor Rumpy! I can’t tell you how much I can relate to this as we’ve been fighting salmonella and now constant diarrheas 2 months now [after having taken tons of antibiotics, probiotics [fortiflora or yeast], a number of diarrhea pills, gastrointestinal food and now wd… At least now we don’t have to go out about 10 times in the middle of the night! So, Rumpy, GET WELL SOON and follow Jen’s order’s!!! 😉

Posted by marina kanavaki | June 18, 2015, 3:47 AM
  26. Oh poor cookie saurus… please get well soon… I hope so much that the bacterias run away when you take your meds and that you are back to a happy Rumpy soon…

Posted by easyweimaraner | June 18, 2015, 4:09 AM
  27. Poor Rumpy! Get well soon! ❤ ❤

Posted by Austin Towers | June 18, 2015, 4:23 AM
  28. Poor old Rumpster. Have you tried giving him live yogurt after the course of meds? Helps build up the good bacteria.

Posted by Animalcouriers | June 18, 2015, 4:39 AM
  29. I hope he is feeling better soon. Perhaps a probiotic like FortiFlora might help, or at least prevent a future episode.

Posted by Charles Huss | June 18, 2015, 6:07 AM
    • I’m going to try it as several have suggested it. He’s always before had a cast-iron stomach, but he is getting older.

Posted by rumpydog | June 18, 2015, 10:03 AM
      • Commenting again…if you try the probiotic, give them apart from the antibiotic. If you give them at the same time the antibiotic will kill the good bacteria in the probiotic along with the bad bacteria in Rumpy’s gut. Dog probiotics are super expensive, just want to make sure they’re as effective as possible.

Posted by connornoter | June 21, 2015, 10:29 PM
  30. Poor doggy, and poor doggy parent! My dog went through that a couple of times. Not fun!

Posted by grannyK | June 18, 2015, 6:27 AM
  31. We’ve just been through icky poo and icky ears ourselves! So I hope Rumpy gets to feeling better soon 😦

Posted by Saving Sammie | June 18, 2015, 8:05 AM
  32. Hope woo feel better soon Rumpy!

NukNuk

Posted by Nanuk | June 18, 2015, 8:50 AM
  33. Now that is what I call a fluffy butt!
    I hope you feel better soon Rump!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | June 18, 2015, 9:09 AM
  34. Feel better soon. Mine sometimes pick up something while we are on a walk. they are so sneaky.

Posted by corkscot | June 18, 2015, 10:16 AM
  35. poor Rumpy, he is never going to make the connection between no human food and a happier belly..

Posted by Connie | June 18, 2015, 11:06 AM
  36. I hope he’ll be better soon, poor thing.

Posted by CrimsonCorundum | June 18, 2015, 1:57 PM
  37. Poor guy… I hope he’s feeling better soon!

Posted by Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom | June 18, 2015, 2:04 PM
  38. We send our sympathy! Our Springer Ed is recovering from a similar problem, with similar treatment. Our vet said his problem could be due to eating bird poo! Smelly boys!
    I hope Rumpy is better soon x

Posted by Christine Davidson | June 18, 2015, 4:28 PM
  39. Aw, poor thing. Sorry for the upset tummy. Hope the Rumpster feels better soon. ❤

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | June 18, 2015, 4:37 PM
  40. Really sorry to hear that, Rumpy and Co. Nothing worse than a pup with an upset tum.

Posted by shacklefordlb | June 19, 2015, 5:30 AM
  41. Awww… poor Rumpy! Please get better soon!

Posted by Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey | June 20, 2015, 7:55 AM
  42. My dog had a problem like that just a few weeks ago. Started with an ear problem and a week later he had poo the consistency of tar with blood in it. Turned out to be a clostridium overgrowth. After some medication, dog probiotics, and a bland diet he’s been fine. Get well soon Rumpy!

Posted by connornoter | June 21, 2015, 10:25 PM
  43. Neko (American Akita) does this all the time. She gets three big spoons of yoghurt a day, and no treats but carrots… And still goes off her food. First time it happened it was liquid blood-poop. Nothing like that smell. Ghastly! And cleaning it out of the grooves in our wood floor was AWFUL. Vet hasn’t a clue, but if we catch it early we fast her for one day, then three days of white rice and something like chicken or tuna.
    Sometimes I think she refuses to eat because she wants rice and tuna!

Posted by heretherebespiders | June 23, 2015, 1:36 PM
  44. The Fluffy Dog is particularly prone to awful stinky cannonbutt when the weather gets hot. The Brindle Dog, as she ages, is more and more often getting the Hershey squirts if her meal is too big. Or too small. Or too late. Canine Runny Bum Disorder is such a messy, smelly pool of ickyness. Here’s hoping Rumpy and his poo are back to normal!

On a related note, a vet I once interned with advised his clients to always feed bits of different kinds of food, including human food. His opinion was that dogs who only ever get the same brand of kibble will develop tummies that are more sensitive to any variation (stray gunk outside, the occasional dead bird or old sandwich off the street) and thus likely to be more prone to vomiting and diarrhea. A school of thought that differs from the “no human food!” philosophy!

Posted by nissetje | July 15, 2015, 10:55 AM
  45. Poor Rumpy, an upset tummy is a horrible thing. Hope you feel better soon.

Posted by twoblackdoggies | July 15, 2015, 3:16 PM

I say I'm helping Jen work, but she says I'm a hindrance. I say shes full of it. #eldercat #gingercat #cat #cats #catsofinstagram #cats_of_instagram