pets, Product Reviews

It’s Bravo! and Away We Go!

So here in the Gulf Coast region, it’s time everyone should have their emergency preparedness kits and plans in place.  In areas where hurricanes are always a possibility, one must be ready to either stay or go at short notice.

One thing I’ve always struggled with when planning is food. Having extra on hand if we’re stuck at home for a few days is a no-brainer. But I also need food on hand to take with should we need to evacuate.

Coincidentally, it was at that same time that Ashlee Gonigam contacted me about trying Bravo!, a new feeding choice for animals on raw diets. Bravo! is a company that sells both frozen and freeze-dried raw foods for dogs and cats.

IMG_5108

This is Bravo! freeze-dried turkey for dogs. It contains turkey, turkey organs, veggies, and added vitamins and minerals.

Well, I’m not sure that this is what Bravo! had in mind when they contacted me about their food, but I’ve decided that freeze-dried is perfect for an emergency preparedness kit. Bravo! is grain and gluten free, contains no added hormones, antibiotics, or artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.

To serve, simply measure out the amount you need, add equal parts warm water, then allow to sit for 15-20 minutes to soak, and serve.

And the food is lightweight, so I can easily toss into the car, along with a case of water, and that’s it for feeding.

Will they eat it? What do you think?

Will they eat it? What do you think?

Now this is important: making a significant change to your dog or cat’s diet is NOT something you want to do when you’re in the middle of a crisis situation. So I’m reading up about transitioning the gang to a Bravo! diet NOW. Fortunately, I was sent some helpful information about diet transition. You can access the same info at bravopetfoods.com.

So, emergency preparedness? Raw food diet? Lots to talk about there. What are your thoughts?

20 thoughts on “It’s Bravo! and Away We Go!

1. that’s a very good idea… I will buy some fod for emergency cases too, we have no hurricanes, but you never know what kind of bad things could come our way…Happy 4th of july, have a wonderful independence day weekend o)
    easy rider

Posted by easyweimaraner | July 4, 2015, 6:49 AM
  2. WOW. THis really could be an option. Emergency Food is a struggle for us, too. It’s bulky and you don’t want it to get stale.
    Do you have any problem with sudden change of diet? The German get really cruddy tummy immediately – and Molly loves new food, – we have to keep her from gobbling, but after a bit she suffers. Not good if evacuating/not at home. Any ideas?
    Be sure to add water bottles for pets, too. Especially if possibility of being stuck in traffic

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | July 4, 2015, 8:05 AM
    • Yeah , Rumpy doesn’t adapt well to dietary changes. It’s something i don’t want to spring on Rumpy should we be in the middle of an evacuation, so I’m going to look into how to incorporate Bravo! Into his diet slowly.

Posted by rumpydog | July 4, 2015, 9:47 AM
  3. You’re thinking ahead smartly and for the actuality. We’ve dry food for their daily meals and an extra bag for emergencies. Happy 4th to ya’ll and hope the noise doesn’t stress you Rumpy.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | July 4, 2015, 8:53 AM
  4. Awesome emergency provisions. Plus, it’s like astronaut food. You’re ready to take off, R.!!

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | July 4, 2015, 9:02 AM
  5. We have used the Bravo frozen in the past and I would like to start doing that again. It is just difficult getting all the cats to eat it. There is always one finicky cat in the bunch.

Posted by Charles Huss | July 4, 2015, 2:21 PM
  6. This sounds like a great option. Thank you for sharing, Rumpy!

Posted by fivesibesmom | July 4, 2015, 8:18 PM
  7. That’s a really great idea, Jen. We have some finicky eaters here, though … Moosey, Gracie and Zoe are all so particular about what they eat, so we just have to make sure they all have enough in case of emergency. 🙂

Posted by meowmeowmans | July 4, 2015, 10:17 PM
  8. I am not too sure what you mean about raw food???
    Jasmine just eats pellets with a few teaspoons of meat or fish and she thrives on it.
    Thank God we don’t have hurricanes or snow storms here!

Posted by granny1947 | July 4, 2015, 11:39 PM
    • raw as in uncooked. For some pet “experts,” feeding uncooked meat and vegetables to dogs and cats is the ideal diet. But for people like me, it’s expensive and messy. But this stuff? Not so much.

Posted by rumpydog | July 5, 2015, 5:59 AM
  9. I’ve never though of “freeze-dried raw foods ” exsists for animals….but it seems to be a great idea for emergency occasions…as we have earthquakes often in Japan. Unfortunately we haven’t seen “Bravo! products here…we have to find the similar ones at the pet stores….

Posted by eripanwkevin | July 5, 2015, 1:41 AM
  10. Great idea to have canine MREs on hand. I like the idea of an emergency kit just for the dog.

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | July 6, 2015, 9:41 AM
  11. What a great product to have on hand for emergencies. A couple of years ago, we were evacuated quickly because of a threatening forest fire. Something like this product would have been handy.

Posted by noofmitchell | July 7, 2015, 7:03 PM