The Joy of Non-Judgmentalism

I’ve just gotten home from a law enforcement assist. A caregiver is going to jail, and I was needed to watch a young child until a relative could come pick him up.

kids-swinging

As we waited together in the parking lot of my office building, the little one asked me to hold him, and I did. We talked about the dark sky and the stars.  We talked about seeing and hearing the water spray onto the grass from the sprinklers. We watched a truck pass by, and he told me he likes trucks. He wasn’t clinging or scared. He just was a bright and beautiful little boy sharing a moment with me.

That little boy touched me deeply. He didn’t judge me. He didn’t care that I’d just gotten out of bed to come care for him and my hair was all kinds of kinky due to the humidity. He didn’t care that I’m old. Or fat. Or don’t believe in God.

children-happy

Compare that sweet little soul to many people I meet who seem to get their panties in a wad because I have opinions and I’m not afraid to express them. Who see me as somehow unworthy because of my age. My size. My propensity to like cats.

As that little boy grows, will he continue to be the same non-judgmental soul he is today? Or will we older, wiser, humans teach him to hate others because their skin tone is different, or they have different sex organs?

I don’t know. I only know that today I was gifted with the opportunity to spend some time with someone I didn’t judge, and who didn’t judge me. It was an amazing experience, and if you haven’t done so lately, I highly recommend you try it.

kids-on-teeter-totter

Clipart from MyCuteGraphics.com.

29 thoughts on “The Joy of Non-Judgmentalism

1. What a gift that exchange was…for both of you.

Posted by Jo Bryant | July 19, 2015, 4:33 AM
  2. That DOES sound like a moment of joy. And good for you seeing it, being in it, and not letting it slip away unnoticed.

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | July 19, 2015, 4:40 AM
  3. Sounds as if you are doing a great job. Well done.

Posted by granny1947 | July 19, 2015, 4:55 AM
  4. A treasured moment! Let’s hope he doesn’t grow up to follow the masses! Cats, of course, never grow up to be judgemental! x

Posted by Austin Towers | July 19, 2015, 6:10 AM
  5. so wonderful…sharing…again! saw the craziest post on a self-proclaimed Christian’s page the other day…under Gore’s picture was the label SCIENTIST…under Obama’s PRESIDENTIAL…under Bruce Jenner’s WOMAN, etc. so hateful…as if the label was nowhere near what each person was? I wanted to add the posting person’s profile pic and underneath write CHRISTIAN??????? 😉 love this piece…

Posted by murphysmission | July 19, 2015, 6:13 AM
  6. Yes, it was an amazing experience!!! I kind of understand how you feel….because I sometimes find this ‘non judge mental soul’ when I am in foreign countries…. very touching….

Posted by eripanwkevin | July 19, 2015, 6:21 AM
  7. Lovely way to start a day.

Posted by candygai | July 19, 2015, 6:23 AM
  8. What a beautiful post ❤️❤️❤️

Posted by Chloe Archer (@ourChloePup) | July 19, 2015, 6:45 AM
  9. A lovely thought, and a precious gift.

Posted by pensitivity101 | July 19, 2015, 7:49 AM
  10. A gift and blessing for you both. ❤ ❤ ❤

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | July 19, 2015, 8:21 AM
  11. I hope his heart stays pure. Even for the poor conditions he came from somewhere along the line someone reinforced his thinking or at least did not try to teach him to hate. What a wonderful moment to hold on to in your job.

Posted by Bernadette | July 19, 2015, 8:54 AM
  12. Children are amazing and innocent. 😀

Posted by gh0stpupp3t | July 19, 2015, 9:22 AM
  13. For us, it was worth your getting out of bed and for your sharing a lovely experience.

Posted by Hi folks. It's BJ Pup | July 19, 2015, 2:03 PM
  14. My heart is warmed to know that you can be woken in the middle of the night to go to work and be open enough to what’s in front of you to have such joy with this young person. ❤

Posted by somethingwagging | July 19, 2015, 2:10 PM
  15. Oh so dear, so very dear; I hope mercy follows the young boy’s days, and it clearly is embued within you. thanks for the post

Posted by sorrygnat | July 19, 2015, 3:04 PM
  16. You and the boy were there for each other at that moment in time, a tender moment which was beautifully shared. I think he too, will remember it always because it was so simple and so special. We forget what people do for a living and we forget their names, but we always remember the way someone makes us feel.
    Thank you for sharing that tender moment with us.

Posted by Barb | July 19, 2015, 3:37 PM
  17. Rumpy Dog. I am sorry to say but you are not my type of dog and I am going to not follow you any more. I am very young and do not understand you.

Posted by Quinlyn | July 19, 2015, 6:39 PM
  18. When I was teaching, we would get records from the previous years. I refused to read them until several months had gone by. Others started out with preconceived notions that never changed. You have to give everyone a chance to make that first impression.

Posted by corkscot | July 20, 2015, 6:41 PM
  19. Sounds to me like you just experienced the simplicity of human nature the way God intended us all to be. Nicely written. What an unforgettable moment for both of you.

Posted by Groovy Goldendoodles | July 21, 2015, 9:18 AM

I say I'm helping Jen work, but she says I'm a hindrance. I say shes full of it. #eldercat #gingercat #cat #cats #catsofinstagram #cats_of_instagram