dogs

Wednesday is National Dog Day….. Whatever….

Oh, how exciting! Wednesday is National Dog Day! We’re going to celebrate all that’s right with the world because of dogs.

Will there be cookies?

Will there be cookies?

And spend money.

We’re going to show our dogs how much we love them by buying them treats and toys. We’ll get them groomed and smelling good. We’ll commission art so the world can remember our beloved pets long after we’re all gone.

It’s totally fucking ridiculous.

want to spend some money on a dog? Phoebe still needs donations to help reach her goal.

Want to spend some money on a dog? Phoebe still needs donations to help reach her goal.

Oh, not the dog thing. I think dogs deserve a day. In fact, I think they deserve all the holidays set aside for them, from National Dog Week at the end of September to Adopt a Shelter Dog Month in October, to Take Your Dog to Work Day in June to National Mutt Day in December. (source: gone-ta-pott.com)

To be clear, National Dog Day isn’t about dogs at all. It’s about dog-related businesses getting you to buy their stuff.

Because if you have to have a holiday to remind you of all that your best friend has done for you, you’re not much of a friend to your dog.

Oh, and while you’re at it, you can celebrate ME! too, because this is my 1200th blog post! YAY!!!!

23 thoughts on “Wednesday is National Dog Day….. Whatever….

1. congratulations dear Rumpy and dear Jenny, you are a great team and I love you, Happy celebration, love, nia

Posted by niasunset | August 25, 2015, 6:47 AM
  2. Exactly

Posted by Mel | August 25, 2015, 6:50 AM
  3. You know my friend EVERY DAY should be National Dog Day – Just sayin’ XOXO – Bacon

Posted by PigLove | August 25, 2015, 7:47 AM
  4. Don’t need a special day to love my pooch. And as for Dog related merchandise, if she needs it, she has it.
    Congrats on your 1200th post. Now that’s worth a celebration!

Posted by pensitivity101 | August 25, 2015, 8:06 AM
  5. Like all ‘days’ they are aimed at product …every day is dog cat sheep day here 🙂

Posted by Fozziemum | August 25, 2015, 8:21 AM
  6. Holy Moly 1200th is a whole lot of BOLing. Right on about one day. We deserve every day and hey if bipeds are going to celebrate us, then how about a parade where we all get walked and the people hold signs: adopt from a shelter, don’t buy. Okay, ’nuff of our growling. wag wag, Max & Bella

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | August 25, 2015, 9:06 AM
  7. Congratulations on your 1200th blog posts Rumpy!
    This is great! Your posts taught me a lot about animals!
    Iove from angel Kevin

Posted by eripanwkevin | August 25, 2015, 9:13 AM
  8. “Because if you have to have a holiday to remind you of all that your best friend has done for you, you’re not much of a friend to your dog.”

Well said!!!

Posted by All Things Collie | August 25, 2015, 10:13 AM
  9. You are wise. And I feel this also applies to Mother’s Day and Father’s Day and Valentine’s Day and Earth Day. If you’re not loving the ones you love each day of the year, you’re doing it wrong!

Also, “Will there be cookies?” is obvs the most important question. Ever.

Posted by nissetje | August 25, 2015, 3:56 PM
  10. Congrats on your 1200th post, Rumpy!

Posted by The Island Cats | August 25, 2015, 6:15 PM
  11. Congratulations on your 1,200th post, Jen! I also don’t need a special holiday to honor our canine family members. I thank my dog every day for just being here with me and doing what he does best: just be a dog!

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | August 25, 2015, 9:26 PM
  12. I can certainly join in this day. With BJ’s UTI and stones, I’ve been giving the vet and stores plenty of business. I’m sure that Jen bought you cookies.

Posted by Hi folks. It's BJ Pup | August 25, 2015, 10:04 PM
  13. Congrats – that’s a lot of posts!

Posted by Animalcouriers | August 26, 2015, 2:45 AM
  14. Congrats on that milestone! And honestly, every day is a dog day at my house. However, Jeffie, Rudy and Rosie love any excuse for EXTRA treats, toys and fun 🙂

Posted by Sue | August 26, 2015, 11:31 AM
  15. Well, we kind of think that dogs should be celebrated EVERY day. So here’s to you, dear Rumpy! 🙂

Congratulations to you on 1200 posts! (WOW)

Posted by meowmeowmans | August 26, 2015, 8:28 PM
  16. Congrats on the 1200th post! Impressive. Here’s hoping this one will reap positive changes for all dogs, but especially Phoebe. ❤

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | August 27, 2015, 10:45 AM