The Soothing Sound of a Purring Cat

This morning I woke to find June Buggie lying on my chest purring loudly. Immediately a feeling of peace washed over me.

How is that?

June Buggie works his zen magic on Rumpy too.

June Buggie works his zen magic on Rumpy too.

Purring happens when cats contract both their laryngeal and diaphragmatic muscles. That’s how they can purr while inhaling and exhaling. Purring happens at low frequencies of between 25 and 150 hertz. This frequency is considered calming toward other cats. It’s why cats purr to let other cats know it’s OK to approach, and why mama cats purr to soothe their babies. Kittens begin to purr within the first week of life. The purrs helps solidify the mother/child bond.

Did you know that purring can also help cats soothe and even heal themselves and each other? True! The low frequency of purring has found to heal bones and wounds, build muscle and repair tendons, ease breathing and lessen pain and swelling. It’s thought that cats purr when stressed to soothe themselves.

June Buggie is the master of calm.

June Buggie is the master of calm.

Humans also benefit from all that good stuff. People who live with cats are 40% less likely to suffer a heart attack. Cats purring lowers our blood pressure, helps us heal, and lowers stress. Broken bone? You want your cat nearby and purring. The frequency of the purrs promotes bone density. Regular contact with a contented cat should be a given for all sufferers of osteoporosis.

Funny, isn’t it? We have millions of homeless cats here in the US, and each one of them has this innate ability to facilitate healing in humans in return for a regular meal and a daily scoop of the litter box. But we humans in our infinite wisdom would rather pop a pill. Do you think we could convince doctors to start prescribing cats instead?

Perhaps not. But I will continue to listen to my sweet kitty’s soothing sounds. His purring will ease my mind when I’m stressed and heal me when I’m sick or injured.

And then he will insist I get up to feed him.

34 thoughts on “The Soothing Sound of a Purring Cat

1. When we sleep on OurPeople’s chests, we like to purr up their noses. They say it tickles. We say that’s the idea!!

Posted by Annabelle Essert (@RainbowCatsx8) | August 31, 2015, 4:31 AM
  2. I wish dogs could purr! I could help Mom to always feel strong!

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | August 31, 2015, 5:07 AM
  3. Missing a purring cat on our laps is what led the Ex and I to get the Evil Kittenz. They are wild, unruly, sarcastic, pointy in far too many places, obnoxiously nocturnal, and shed more fur than can be explained by the laws of nature. The only thing saving them is the purring!

Posted by nissetje | August 31, 2015, 6:46 AM
  4. Loved this! Happy to connect ❤ Do check out my writings too, will appreciate your reviews 😊

Posted by messupdressup03 | August 31, 2015, 6:52 AM
  5. Wow! I didn’t know that purring sound was so good to humans health, too!!! This is great! Thank you very much for telling us the fact! My kitties make purring sound often but smallest one. We don’t know why she doesn’t purr….Awwww…I wish I could hear June Buggies purring sound….❤️❤️❤️🐱

Posted by eripanwkevin | August 31, 2015, 6:55 AM
  6. I wish the dogtors would do so… a cat has no after- or sideeffects… except some furballs on the carpet :o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | August 31, 2015, 7:37 AM
  7. I have the same response when I hear my dog breathing, while he’s resting comfortably. There’s nothing like a pet to soothe your soul!

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | August 31, 2015, 7:48 AM
  8. Purrrfect! I knew Hannah had more roles than allowing us to pet her sometimes, covering our dark clothes in her white fur and waking us up 5 am asking for food! I just love to let her sleep with my kids – I wish she could sleep in my room but she has the bad habit of biting my wife’s toes, so she doesn’t want Hannah sleeping with us. And I can’t even defend her 😛

Posted by renatohm99 | August 31, 2015, 8:30 AM
  9. My cat purred me through cancer treatments. It’s the only time he would sleep on top of me during the night. When it was over, he went back to his favorite lounge to sleep. What a cat!

Posted by Kate Crimmins | August 31, 2015, 10:54 AM
  10. Fabulous post! I adore cats .. I find their purring so soothing. I had no idea of these benefits .. Another reason to love them.

Posted by Julie@frogpondfarm | August 31, 2015, 2:15 PM
  11. I agree with the puuuuurrrr prescription 🙂 Happy Week – Enjoy!

Posted by cravesadventure | August 31, 2015, 2:42 PM
  12. I have a very loud purr when I am happy, but also when I am at the vets when I am not happy! It’s a calming measure! But it is true, humans love to hear us purr!

Posted by Austin Towers | August 31, 2015, 4:02 PM
  13. The mom loves when we purr. She says I’m the loudest purrer she’s ever heard. ~Wally

Posted by The Island Cats | August 31, 2015, 6:34 PM
  14. Hot damn, that is one kickass post…and I’m more of a dog person than a cat person. But it made me want to rush right over to the rescue centre and pick up a kitty.

Alas, I can’t do that because neither my husband nor my surviving dog is a cat person in any way, shape or form (except they wouldn’t hurt a cat – our family, including my adult son and daughter, are animal people).

Anyhow, Jen and Rumpy, thanks for collaborating on that interesting and useful post. I’m going to share it with my friends, cat lovers and otherwise.

Posted by Sandra Bell Kirchman | September 1, 2015, 2:30 AM
  15. I love this and all you wrote about the healing benefits and comfort benefits of purring. I know it’s always made me feel totally “aww” inside my body when I’m around it. Love the photos. ❤

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | September 1, 2015, 8:49 AM
  16. It is odd to think how purring is so comforting to both cats and humans. Why should we respond to this sound? It is even more fascinating when you realize that cats are the only animals that make such a sound, in such a way. You may have posted about this in the past, but another interesting dynamic in regards to human and cat interaction is that, while cats of course purr with other cats, you will hardly ever hear one adult cat ‘meowing’ to another adult cat. They tend to only meow to us humans, and to their mothers when they are kittens. Tells us something about our cats, I think!

Posted by EricT | December 21, 2015, 10:19 AM