activism

Happy Labor Day!

Today is Labor Day in the US. It’s a day set aside to celebrate the American worker and how his or her work contributes to the American economy. Sadly, the meaning of the day has faded, and now most see Labor Day as the end of summer, the start of the school season, and the cut-off for those in “high society” to wear white.

008

To honor those who work so hard for so little, I rest on your behalf.

To learn about past struggles of American workers, you might want to familiarize yourself with the Haymarket affair, the Pullman Strike, or the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire.

102

Today in the US, 1 out of 5 American workers earns at or below the poverty level. These are the people that are serving your lunch, stocking the shelves at the stores where you shop, and providing care for your children and your parents. Ironically, these people can’t afford many of the very services they provide.

054

Many (over 285,000) of our low wage workers are college graduates. The average age of the American minimum wage worker is 35.

It’s a sad state when people working for some of the biggest money-making industries in the country are struggling to get by (read one woman’s story profiled inΒ Forbes magazine).

019

So while you’re out shopping the Labor Day sales, or cooking out with family and friends, take a moment to thank the American worker who made your day off possible. Many of them will be at work today.Β

42 thoughts on “Happy Labor Day!

1. Happy Labor Day!!! We posted a little bit about the history of Labor Day on our blog today too.

The Florida Furkids

Posted by The Florida Furkids | September 2, 2013, 8:03 AM
  2. That is so so SO! ADORABUBBLE!!!!!!!!! ❀

Posted by purpleperceptions | September 2, 2013, 8:06 AM
  3. Fabulous post Rumpy!! It is impawtant to remember why we celebrate this holiday! Barks and licks and love, Dakota

Posted by Dakota/Caren/Cody | September 2, 2013, 8:18 AM
  4. Great post! Power to the people, right on!

Posted by Russell Smith | September 2, 2013, 8:19 AM
  5. Awesome post! Thank you so much, Rumpy for posting this. I know how hard you work. Most people don’t realize that typing isn’t easy, if you don’t have thumbs.

Posted by bitcodavid | September 2, 2013, 8:20 AM
  6. This is a timely post to remind all of the the true meaning of Labor Day. Hope you all have a peaceful one today! Take care
    x

Posted by Old Kitty | September 2, 2013, 8:26 AM
  7. It’s so true that the real meaning of the holiday is disappearing. On another note, I live in Florida and I’m not ready to stop wearing my absolute favorite white sandals! :Q And you’re orange kitty looks just like my Charlie! Adorable!

Posted by Linda Arthur Tejera | September 2, 2013, 8:35 AM
  8. Happy Labor Day, Rumpy! I’ve read this post thinking of our economy situation in Japan.

Posted by eripanwkevin | September 2, 2013, 8:45 AM
  9. It’s very sad that some well known companies get away with treating their employees so badly.

Posted by Clowie | September 2, 2013, 9:03 AM
  10. Great post. Hopefully those working hard on this day, that was supposed to be set aside as a respit, appreciate posts like this and those who still respect the history of the day. Even though they don’t have time to read it… Sad…

Posted by cascadiannomads | September 2, 2013, 9:18 AM
  11. You don’ just consider animals but humans as well how kind πŸ™‚ workers often get overlooked by shoppers and the boss.

Posted by LifeOfBun | September 2, 2013, 10:05 AM
  12. My mom has always had jobs where she ends up working when the rest of the world has a day off, so we are used to it and it doesn’t bother us too much but sometimes it is hard. There are lots of hard working people that really don’t earn enough money for what they do and that is sad. Mom always tells us pets that we live better than many people, so we should appreciate it. We don’t understand but it is important for her to tell us anyway.

Posted by Emmadog | September 2, 2013, 10:12 AM
  13. Happy Labor Day to you and your family pal. Enjoy.

Posted by mariodacat | September 2, 2013, 11:35 AM
  14. Have a wonderful Labor Day and you’re right, Rumpy :o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | September 2, 2013, 11:43 AM
  15. Happy Labor Day and thank you to the workers of America.

I attended NYU at Washington Square and had classes in the building of the Triangle Fire. After while I stopped reading the plaque that was affixed to the front of the building, I never forgot. I had a funny sensation knowing that I was in the building where so many people died. It makes one grateful.

Posted by BJ Pup | September 2, 2013, 12:12 PM
  16. Thank you for the beautiful tribute to American workers on this Labor Day. Many are unaware of – or have forgotten – the struggles made by workers in previous generations so that we can enjoy the many benefits we have today.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | September 2, 2013, 12:22 PM
  17. Happy Labour day Rumpy,xx Speedy

Posted by speedyrabbit | September 2, 2013, 12:24 PM
  18. Happy Labor Day Rumpy! Your statistics are very sad and true. I was making poverty level income while working as a veterinary technician. And yes, sadly I still could not afford most of the services I helped other people’s pets with… even with a large discount for employees.

Posted by Ann "Paws" Staub | September 2, 2013, 12:56 PM
  19. It grieves me that anyone in a ‘civilized’ country can possibly accept anything below the poverty line as a minimum wage. I hope and pray it’ll change one day, and the sooner the better. In the meantime, it’s very important that good souls like you help to make others more aware of this problem. Thanks!

Posted by kathryningrid | September 2, 2013, 3:20 PM
  20. Happy Labor Day to you as well!

Posted by Roberta | September 2, 2013, 4:19 PM
  21. Rumpy, life was much more pleasant when there were days that everyone got a holiday – everything was closed. How hard is it to not shop – not go out to eat – to stay “home” with friends of family and all celebrate. Maybe ALL deserve a bit of rest and reflection.

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | September 2, 2013, 5:16 PM
  22. Happy Labour day Rumpy seems to be a universal problem with wage equality. Hoping your day is restful and reflective and hugs from us Fozziemum x

Posted by fozziemum | September 2, 2013, 5:18 PM
  23. Thank You for that reminder. We do tend to take things for granted.

Posted by wigglebuttryker | September 2, 2013, 6:47 PM
  24. Your post makes a very good point about equality… some are still struggling for it. PMOTH made me aware of ‘food deserts’. None of the so called progress and evolution that’s been achieved in our society is worth it if people get left behind, and there is collateral damage.

Posted by EllaDee | September 2, 2013, 7:08 PM
    • Most people don’t think about food not being available with Wal-Mart being located in most every town. But when you don’t have a car, and public transportation is not available, Wal-Mart may as well be on the moon.

Posted by rumpydog | September 3, 2013, 5:00 AM
  25. Happy Labor Day, Rumpy and family! Great reminders of what today is all about!

Posted by fivesibesmom | September 2, 2013, 8:04 PM
  26. Thank you for your post! My humanz were on holiday in the US. They saw a lot of signs of Labor Day, but they didn’t know what the history. Walking through the malls, you would think it was only about sales.

*head bonks* Noodles

Posted by Noodles the Cat | September 3, 2013, 10:41 AM
  27. Reblogged this on Rumpydog and commented:

Today is Labor Day in the US, yet my garbage will be picked up and practically every store in town will be open. The only people who actually get the day off are white collar workers, not the average worker this day was designed to honor.

Posted by rumpydog | September 6, 2015, 11:10 PM
  28. Dear DeDe……I still remember her adorable doggie smile……I hope she now enjoys her new life with Sage in RB.

Posted by eripanwkevin | September 7, 2015, 3:46 AM
  29. I say thank you today to all workers and a special thanks to all dogtors ,pawlice men and people who have to work today. It’s great to see DeeDee today… I remember her saying: never leave your house with a smile…:o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | September 7, 2015, 6:51 AM
  30. Happy Labor Day…or as we call it…No Labor Day. Because there’s not much laboring going on…at least at our house. πŸ™‚

Posted by The Island Cats | September 7, 2015, 9:17 AM
  31. Thank you!πŸ’œ

Posted by hairballexpress | September 7, 2015, 3:47 PM
  32. Thanks for the great lesson about the origins and meaning of Labor Day!

Posted by meowmeowmans | September 7, 2015, 9:27 PM