Jen's thoughts

Why Do We Still Believe Sexism Doesn’t Exist?

I have questions.

Is Joy Behar truly sorry for her comments, or is she sorry she messed with the mostly female nursing profession when she dissed Miss Colorado for her monologue on her career as a nurse? And is it irony that she becomes more contrite as more sponsors break ties with The View?

from Behar's twitter account

from Behar’s twitter account

Is it more concerning that the leading Republican presidential candidates have never held office, or that the current leader is an unapologetic bigot and the female candidate wants government (AKA the church) to take control of other women’s bodies?

Did Alabama lose to Ole Miss in part due to this jerk’s angering of the Goddesses?

Looks like beating Bama was also easy, eh dude?

The adoring Stepford Wives is a nice touch, wouldn’t you say?

Looks like beating Bama was also easy, eh dude?

Did Blake Dodge speak the truth about subtle sexism in her essay, The Struggle to be Taken Seriously in the Age of Subtle Sexism, or is it, as conservative commenters have noted, “…an example of political correctness and victimization gone over the edge (newsobserver.com).”

And, finally, why is it that despite the blatant sexism in our country and in our world, we can’t even convince some women that it’s real, much less men?

12 thoughts on “Why Do We Still Believe Sexism Doesn’t Exist?

1. I watched the show and she said that she didn’t understand why someone was reading emails as their talent. In no way did she say that the woman was a nurse. Things are always taken out of context. Your other statements are also out of context and in my opinion do not represent people in an accurate way. I have always been a fan of you and your positions on social ideas, but this is a little over the line.

Posted by corkscot | September 20, 2015, 10:20 AM
  2. We just seem to be going backwards at such an accelerated pace. Money, ratings, and power. What chance does commonsense and kindness have against those?

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | September 21, 2015, 11:57 AM
  3. I’ve thought about this from another angle: Why is it that those of us who know sexism exists and consider ourselves feminist can still get caught in the traps of sexism ourselves?

I was listening to the radio recently and a scientist (woman) from NOAA was talking about weather. Her content was interesting and I was learning a lot. But I thought to myself how “young” she sounded (and by extension, less authoritative).

I’ve spent most of my life hearing male voices explaining big issues in the media. When an intelligent and experienced woman speaks I have to correct my ears because they’ve been trained to only hear other voices.

It breaks my heart.

Posted by somethingwagging | September 23, 2015, 7:39 AM
    • I have a new co-worker. She’s smart and a hard worker. And she talks in a baby voice that drives me up the wall. I want to say something but then I remember that she does it for a reason or else she wouldn’t do it. I, on the other hand, talk with a low voice and people see me as “butch.” I’m sure she doesn’t want that.

Posted by rumpydog | September 23, 2015, 7:45 AM
      • Unfortunately, women are screwed either way. If they talk softly they aren’t respected. If they speak with a deep voice they’re accused of trying to act like a man.

There’s no way to win except to be yourself and say to hell with the haters.

Posted by somethingwagging | September 23, 2015, 12:23 PM
      • If only it weren’t the haters who were in charge…..

Posted by rumpydog | September 23, 2015, 12:26 PM
  4. Well said/questioned! Don’t even get me started on Ms. Fiorina’s recent rape comments. Sheesh, where do these people crawl out from under?

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | September 23, 2015, 10:20 AM

I'm hanging in the linen closet today. I'm feeling better! #gi#eldercat #caturday #cats #cat #catsofinstagram #cats_of_instagram #catstagram