Pet Health

Bacon Linked to Cancer….. in Dogs?

In the US, there is nothing more revered than the breakfast meat known as bacon. Clever marketing has unleashed in us a love for bacon rivaled only by chocolate.

Not many foods we love more than bacon!

Not many foods we love more than bacon! Click on the photo to take you to a 10 hour video of nothing but bacon.

There are bacon cocktails and even a bacon-infused vodka.

There are bacon ice creams, and at one time Burger King offered a bacon sundae. Oh, and don’t forget chocolate covered bacon,.

Bacon seasons veggies, especially crisp salads.

Then there is the tried-and-true bacon cheeseburger, bacon-egg-and-cheese on a breakfast sandwich, and everyone’s favorite- a delicious BLT.

So despite the World Health Organization’s announcement that bacon and other processed meats can cause cancer in humans, the expectation is that Americans will either ignore the news or lash out against it.

You can get this costume at dogvills.com.

You can get this costume at dogvills.com.

After all, you don’t expect me to give up food that both my dog and I love equally, do you? So a 2-ounce serving eaten daily increases my risk of colorectal cancer by almost 20%. My ancestors ate processed meat for years and they never developed cancer. No! They all died of heart disease.

Well here’s a news flash for you who either are canine or know and love one:

Processed meats are linked to cancer in dogs too (source: National Canine Cancer Foundation).

So defy your doctor’s advice and guzzle down that Bacon Bloody Mary, or chow down on that BLT.

But leave the processed meat out of your dog’s diet.

20 thoughts on “Bacon Linked to Cancer….. in Dogs?

1. The only time McKinley gets bacon or processed meats is if something falls on the floor. There’s too much salt in them for her – for any dog, really. And despite the fact I like bacon I don’t eat tons of it for the same reason. If I eat much salty food in a day I will gain up to 3 pounds of water weight.

Posted by anotherboomerblog | October 26, 2015, 9:12 AM
  2. Easy never got bacon… I can’t remember when I bought it the last time… think that was last century…somewhere in 1997 …

Posted by easyweimaraner | October 26, 2015, 9:40 AM
  3. Yeah, we’re one of those weird non-bacon households too (weird for America it would seem anyway.)
    An occasional BLT when out to eat but it doesn’t make it home to the poor deprived doggies.

Posted by Saved by dogs | October 26, 2015, 10:11 AM
  4. I love bacon and eat it only at a buffet or occasionally have a BLT. I doubt that the amount I eat will cause any harm. And if so, well, at least I enjoyed eating.

I don’t bring bacon in any form including BJ treats, into my apartment so there’s little chance BJ will get any.

Posted by BJ | October 26, 2015, 11:15 AM
  5. Does that go for Beggin Strips too? That what Guinness gets for a treat once a day. 🙂

Posted by Susan Langer | October 26, 2015, 11:40 AM
  6. I think “processed” refers to the nitrites & nitrates used as preservatives. Where I live in California, it’s possible to buy Canadian bacon that doesn’t contain those preservatives (and comes from humanely raised pigs too). It’s expensive, and it tastes more like ham than the “streaky” bacon (English term) Americans are used to, but I prefer it because it doesn’t have much fat. I bake it in my toaster oven.

Posted by Rhiannon Paine | October 26, 2015, 1:37 PM
    • Yes, the link between nitrites and cancer is not breaking news, but I’m happy to see the WHO come out and say it, because heaven knows our government won’t say anything to piss off the hog farmers.

Posted by rumpydog | October 26, 2015, 1:54 PM
  7. Bacon is now linked to cancer in humans too!

Posted by willowdot21 | October 26, 2015, 4:10 PM
  8. Boomer would ADORE some bacon, but No, I never give it to him.

Linda

Posted by dayphoto | October 26, 2015, 5:29 PM
  9. I only eat bacon when I’m out, so Cupcake is bacon free. I, on the other hand, am out to breakfast a LOT, so……

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | October 26, 2015, 8:00 PM
  10. I Love bacon – especially the bacon I am currently growing in the field – But I do agree that processed foods are no good for anyone.. I give my dogs meat but sometimes i do cave in and give them the common processed dog foods. In the old days John would pour the left over bacon grease on his old dogs processed food dinner and the old dog lived to be VERY old indeed and died peacefully under his tree.. so I guess that proves nothing at all!! But yes, the dogs can’t choose so no bacon and no corn please..

Posted by Cecilia Mary Gunther | October 26, 2015, 9:00 PM
  11. I don’t know why people would think that food that is bad for humans would be good for pets. They classify food as human grade and anything that falls below that is given to animals. That is stupid if you want your animals to be healthy. As far as bacon goes, it is good but not so good that I can’t do without it.

Posted by Charles Huss | October 27, 2015, 5:47 AM

I say I'm helping Jen work, but she says I'm a hindrance. I say shes full of it. #eldercat #gingercat #cat #cats #catsofinstagram #cats_of_instagram