It’s National #BlackCatDay in the UK!

Folks across the pond are celebrating National Black Cat Day. Cats Protection started the day to highlight black cats because they feel black cats remain in shelter longer than cats of other colors.

This is Graybow, AKA Graybie Baby. Crossing his path is very unlucky because he might jump in your arms and force you to pet him.

RSPCA, on the other hand, say there are more black cats in care simply because black is the most common color for cats.

I can’t speak for what goes on in the UK, but I can say that here in the US it is believed that black cats are less desirable because we are a superstitious lot and fear them as being unlucky, even though Dr. Emily Weiss of the ASPCA studied the numbers and found that black cats and dogs are actually adopted at HIGHER rates than dogs and cats of other colors.

IMG_4963

This is Little Girl. She’s unlucky because if you walk into the kitchen, she’ll meow at you non-stop until you either give her a treat or leave.

But hey! Don’t let a little thing like fact get in the way of a good story, right?

26 thoughts on “It’s National #BlackCatDay in the UK!

1. Black cats are beautiful… it’s like having a little panther… and if we could live with a kitty, it would be black :o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | October 27, 2015, 7:24 AM
  2. Jen thanks for the important reminder. I am an an indoor-cat only guardian, and have turned a whole stray into one, so I know it isn’t easy, but I do believe it is the right thing. It is especially important to protect dark colored cats this time of year. Halloween visitors produce unexpected results in our feline family (and canine) while stupidity and folklore may bring out cruelty in people. Thank you Jen.

Posted by candygai | October 27, 2015, 7:39 AM
    • I doubt though that cruel intentions are more apparent on Halloween, only that news media outlets blow them up to be.

Posted by rumpydog | October 27, 2015, 8:04 AM
      • I bet you are correct about true cruelty; I suspect stupidity & immaturity could get sparked. You would know more, being a social worker on the frontlines of dysfunction in humanity. Thanks for easing my mind.

Posted by candygai | October 27, 2015, 8:40 AM
  3. One of my favorite fur babies was my black cat, Rufus. A slithering gem whom I loved. Black is beautiful. Pardon the cliche but I mean it.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | October 27, 2015, 9:39 AM
  4. In Japan, black cats don’t have any bad reputation, so some of my best friends have black cats who are so lovely.
    Besides, black shiba-inu dog is more popular than normal color shiba-Inu dog.
    Graybie and Little girl are adorable!!! 😍😍😍😍😍

Posted by eripanwkevin | October 27, 2015, 9:46 AM
    • As with most silly beliefs in the US, the idea that black cats bring bad luck comes from religious superstition. Fundamentalist Christians believed women who were not submissive were practitioners of witchcraft, and their cats were really demons in animal form.

Posted by rumpydog | October 27, 2015, 9:53 AM
  5. Here in the UK Black cats are lucky, White cats are the one we consider unlucky!

Posted by willowdot21 | October 27, 2015, 10:03 AM
  6. Yay! I have 3 black cats (all female) and 2 blue cats (both male)…all brothers and sisters from same litter

Posted by realeyezlife | October 27, 2015, 12:41 PM
  7. There also seems to be a stigma about black dogs. I don’t know what the deal is with the color black. It’s a natural tone in the color spectrum. And yes, black is a color.

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | October 27, 2015, 2:33 PM
    • I know. It’s all so ridiculous. But, really rescuers? Do you HAVE to perpetuate these silly stereotypes that are PROVEN to be untrue? But then, we believe what we want to believe, and that’s not necessarily what is true.

Posted by rumpydog | October 27, 2015, 3:12 PM
  8. Aww… so cute! We have a friendly kitteh named Poe. 🙂

Posted by gh0stpupp3t | October 27, 2015, 4:00 PM
  9. It is true that here in the UK black cats are considered to be lucky…… or they were at one time! My own idea about why they are less likely to be adopted is because most cats are indoor/outdoor cats and completely black ones are notoriously difficult to see in the dark – for obvious reasons! Austin’s white paws and tux are a boon!

Posted by Austin Towers | October 27, 2015, 4:50 PM
    • Yeah well you don’t have the history of fundamentalist religious hysteria that we do here in the US. How in the hell did you manage to dump such a lot on us and we turn out to be such a powerful country?

Posted by rumpydog | October 27, 2015, 5:57 PM
  10. We’re big fans of black cats here. 🙂

Posted by The Island Cats | October 27, 2015, 6:26 PM
  11. Oh great, the cats don’t have enough of an attitude – wait until they find out they’re getting entire days dedicated to them. The little black one already thinks she’s queen of the house, this will decidedly go to her head.

Posted by Saved by dogs | October 28, 2015, 5:46 AM
  12. I suspect that you are absolutely right … such a shame. Any cat is a great cat! 😀

Posted by Julie@frogpondfarm | October 29, 2015, 9:46 PM