pets, wild animals

Her Name Was Nola. She Was a Showgirl.

The world is mourning the death of Nola, the beloved Northern White Rhino of the San Deigo Zoo Safari Park. She was 41.

nola nola

RIP Nola. PHOTO SOURCE: Twitter @sdzsafaripark

Nola was around 18 months old when she was captured in the wild and taken to the Dvůr Králové Zoo in The Czech Republic. In 1989 Nola was again moved, this time to the San Diego Zoo where she lived out her days.

Nola was considered elderly and after her condition deteriorated, she was euthanized.

Since Nola’s death, there are only 3 known living Northern White Rhinos; those three reside under armed guard in Kenya’s Ol Pejeta Conservancy. The last 4 known northern white rhinos living in the wild were killed by poachers in 2005,  and the species is now effectively extinct.

nola 1

Nola enjoying a favorite pastime. PHOTO SOURCE: Twitter @sdzsafaripark

In typical human fashion, we called ourselves acting “humanely” when we captured Nola in the wild to save the species, moved her to Europe, then later moved her again, this time to San Diego where we doped her with hormones to encourage her to get pregnant, though she never did. And because we loved her so much, she was forever on display for our amusement.

Rest in peace, Nola. You’ve earned it, and in death you are finally set free from our constant meddling.

13 thoughts on “Her Name Was Nola. She Was a Showgirl.

1. ….. 🙂 Loved so much, and the song in my ears too now. Thank you dear Jen and Lovely Rumpy, have a nice day, love, nia

Posted by niasunset | November 23, 2015, 1:04 AM
  2. 😥😡 when are we going to learn to coexist instead of lording it over other creatures? It makes my heart hurt.

Posted by bumpyroadtobubba | November 23, 2015, 1:16 AM
  3. I didn’t know about Nola until today but I’m glad to learn what had happened to her life. Rest in peace Nola, yes she has earned it.

Posted by eripanwkevin | November 23, 2015, 3:28 AM
  4. So sad.

Posted by Andrea Kenner | November 23, 2015, 5:45 AM
  5. RIP Nola… and I bow my head and say sorry for all what we humans did to you and your bro’s and sisters…

Posted by easyweimaraner | November 23, 2015, 6:39 AM