veganism

But Don’t Take My Word for It…

Recently I blogged  about the health benefits of a vegan diet.

img_6703

I went vegan for my health. And, as you can see, I’m eating much healthier!

Well, lo and behold, I get an email from Faunalytics (a research library for those of us promoting a more humane lifestyle) that includes an abstract from a position paper published by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics providing guidelines for helping vegans and vegetarians reach optimal health.

What does the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics think of a vegetarian or vegan diet?

It is the position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that appropriately planned vegetarian, including vegan, diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits for the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.

Whoa! Read that again my friends! They actually said that my diet can prevent and treat certain diseases.

img_7464

That’s a vegan cheese sauce made with white beans and nutritional yeast. Check out Chocolate Covered Katie for the recipe.

I didn’t actually read the paper because I would have had to pay to do that, and, well, that ain’t happening.

But here’s a paper you can read in its entirety: Farm Animal Investment Risk and Return’s The Future of Food: The Investment Case for a Protein Shake Up. In a nutshell, this paper says what we all know: animal agriculture is not sustainable to meet the protein needs of a growing population. They discuss where investors would best serve their needs as well as the needs of the planet through their investments. If you have money or simply have a conscience, give it a go. I just skimmed but found it fascinating.

img_7405

Meat-free protein sources are the future, my friends!

The wave of the future is eating less meat, people! Want to be a trendsetter? Go vegan!

Rumpy has gone on from this plane. We, his kitty siblings,continue to blog about animal welfare and responsible care of companion animals at rumpydog.com in his stead. You can follow us on Twitter - @RumpyDog. And don't forget to LIKE our Facebook page! Thanks!

19 thoughts on “But Don’t Take My Word for It…

1. we had vegan schnitzels today… guess what? they were much better than any meat…. I totally love it to cook without any animal related things… sadly the prices here are eggstremely high… :o(((

Posted by easyweimaraner | January 19, 2017, 4:18 AM
  2. A vegan diet can definitely improve the health of someone eating the Standard American Die (SAD) in the short term, but eating that way in the long term requires vigilance. I think a vegetarian diet that includes pasture raised eggs would be easier. I usually eat a raw vegan diet (except for one or two hard boiled eggs) for breakfast and lunch and then have a dinner with my wife that may or may not include meat.

Posted by Charles Huss | January 19, 2017, 5:18 AM
  3. That there are lots of vegan food blogs, as you wrote in response to a comment, is really helpful because buying vegan made foods can be very expensive. Thanks for this.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | January 19, 2017, 8:45 AM
  4. Good for you. Works for us

Posted by dogdaz | January 19, 2017, 4:06 PM
  5. Good article, even for those of us who would LIKE to be vegan but just can’t ‘digest’ the whole idea yet. I agree, the world needs to change its eating habits and find better places for a protein diet to replace meat. Unsustainable and inhumane. I eat as much non-meat meals as I can, and have a new-found love for ALL veggies. 🙂

Posted by roughwighting | January 20, 2017, 5:47 AM
  6. Giving up meat was the best decision I made. Well that and deciding to get divorced, but that’s another story. LOL

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | January 20, 2017, 7:55 AM
  7. Veganism is so daunting to me…but I am getting a little closer everyday. I really enjoy the taste of vegan “cheese.”

Posted by notcomingdownblog | February 22, 2017, 7:42 AM
  8. To be honest, I don’t eat meat as much as I used to and I’m feeling the benefits. Loved this post. 🙂

Posted by Jennifer Smith Nutrition | February 26, 2017, 2:48 PM
  9. Well about time they admitted it lol!! But seriously that is great news – we’re moving forward!

Posted by thebalancebrigade | April 1, 2017, 12:19 PM

Hissy Fit Jones takes a nap #formerferal #gingercat #cat #cats #catstagram #catsofinstagram