dogs, pets

Rump’s Visit to the Vet

So Rumpy’s condition quickly got worse, and today we went to see the vet.

First, she felt him all over and was very concerned about what felt like enlarged lymph nodes. The good doctor aspirated 3 of them and was heartened to find they were lypomas. She discovered his right hind leg was much larger than the left, but couldn’t tell why.

Then she and I discussed whether to proceed with x-rays first or blood work. We did the x-rays.

Rumpy has an enlarged lymph node at the base of his heart. He also has a large tumor behind the muscle of his right hind leg.

Next the blood work. Rumpy’s white blood cell count was very high. The vet says he most likely has pneumonia. And the pneumonia is probably because of the laryngeal paralysis.

So we’re home with two different antibiotics to treat the pneumonia. If we’re lucky, it will also shrink that enlarged lymph node.

If the lymph node doesn’t shrink, it’s possible the tumor is cancerous. If Rumpy recovers from pneumonia and the lymph node shrinks, then the next thing is surgery on his leg to remove the tumor and biopsy to determine if it’s malignant. It’s a large tumor and has grown pretty fast- like DeDe’s did.

And then if all that happens, there’s still the issue of laryngeal paralysis. I could subject him to yet more surgery to tie back one of his laryngeal flaps. I’ve written about that before, and I don’t know if I want to do that to him.

So for now I’m going to focus on the pneumonia. The vet recommended a vet diet canned food that he ate fine in their office but turned his nose up at once we got home. But he did eat a can of his regular food and he took his meds in peanut butter so I feel better about that.

And I’m accepting that I don’t think we’ll be together much longer.

Please keep the Rumpster in your thoughts.

103 thoughts on “Rump’s Visit to the Vet

1. Sending lots of purrs to Rumpy…and you too.

Posted by The Island Cats | February 8, 2017, 7:58 PM
  2. Is removing the hind leg an option to have a tripod baby and possible doing Chemo? You all are in my Prayers

Posted by Stephanie | February 8, 2017, 8:01 PM
  3. Oh I shouldn’t have read that sitting at my desk – even though I’ve been keeping up on social media. Sending lots of love to you and Rumpy and hoping for completely resolvable pneumonia and benign rather than anything else tumor. You’re both in my thoughts. xx

Posted by bumpyroadtobubba | February 8, 2017, 8:04 PM
  4. So sorry to hear this news,we will send lots of paw prayers that he recovers from it

Posted by livelaughbarkblog | February 8, 2017, 8:09 PM
  5. I’m sorry, Jen. Please give Rumpy a hug from me. I know this is hard, but I’m so glad he’s with you. Best place he can be.

Posted by Maria Appleby | February 8, 2017, 8:20 PM
    • I’d argue that point, but here he is and so we will take it a day at a time.

Posted by rumpydog | February 9, 2017, 4:05 AM
      • My point….was simply that I am glad Rumpy is with you…..what is there to argue? I’m being supportive here Jen, because I understand. Losing Sasha for us, is still very fresh. I’m very sorry this is happening to Rumpy. I’m sorry I’m not a good enough friend that nothing I ever post is ever taken in the spirit it is intended. I meant to offer comfort and support (and I did read the whole blog) instead of contention. I don’t even know what to say to you anymore. I will leave it at that. I’m sorry Rumpy is going through this.

Posted by Maria Appleby | February 9, 2017, 5:35 AM
      • For gods sake would you please not make this about you? I’m hurting. I need support, not having to comfort you.

Posted by rumpydog | February 9, 2017, 5:54 AM
      • I’ve tried to be a supportive friend to you for years. Like I said….I’m sorry this is happening to Rumpy. I’m sorry for your pain. I don’t need comfort from you. I just wanted to be a friend. I can’t be one unless you allow it. I do understand what you’re going through. Going forward, I will just say nothing, because that seems to be what you want from me. I wish you well.

Posted by Maria Appleby | February 9, 2017, 6:34 AM
  6. Aw, hoping for a fast recovery!

Posted by darcyish | February 8, 2017, 8:21 PM
    • You really didn’t read the blog post, did you?

Posted by rumpydog | February 8, 2017, 8:23 PM
      • ….I did. Pneumonia. Two antibiotics. Ate the canned food at the vet. Didn’t at home. Ate the regular food. Took medicine with peanut butter. Hopefully will shrink the lymph node as well. After that if cancer, possible surgery or chemo on the hind leg….
        Just trying to stay hopeful and a speedy full recovery would mean less pain for Rumpy..and a great friend still around for you!

Posted by darcyish | February 8, 2017, 8:27 PM
  7. Poor Rumpy. Thinking of you at this difficult time x

Posted by Catherine Johnson | February 8, 2017, 8:27 PM
  8. love you Rumpy. Years of seeing you, reading posts, breaks my heart for you and your momma. Bless you, prayers for healing to come fast, comfort and love..

Posted by Karen Simpson | February 8, 2017, 8:28 PM
  9. We’re sending purrs and prayers to you and to Rumpy.

The Florida Furkids

Posted by The Florida Furkids | February 8, 2017, 8:30 PM
  10. I’m very very sorry about what’s been happening to Rumpy….I feel sad, too….and am not able to accept it now…..I’m praying for him very hard…..keep him in my thoughts…..I love you Rumpy….we all love you…hugs

Posted by eripanwkevin | February 8, 2017, 8:37 PM
  11. We always enjoying reading Rumpy’s blog and were we sorry to learn that he is not well. We hope he feels better soon and he is in our doggy thoughts.

Posted by jaspersdoggyworld | February 8, 2017, 8:52 PM
  12. I can’t like this. 😥 I know that we only get our beloved dogs for a short time because they don’t need to work on themselves for seven or eight decades, but I don’t want you be be left behind.

Keeping Rumpy in my thoughts and prayers. And you as well. No matter how many minutes or hours we have in this life we need to make them count because they are always so short!

Hugging my foster and my nearly 9-year-old girl tonight.

Posted by anotherboomerblog | February 8, 2017, 9:09 PM
  13. Soft paws of love from Tweeter, Mic and Gracie, and hugs, Jen.

Posted by Kim Norris (4goodideas) | February 8, 2017, 9:19 PM
  14. I’m so sorry. You’re a good mother

Posted by C.A. | February 8, 2017, 9:24 PM
  15. Love you Rumpy I am praying for you so hard! Hope you get well real soon!

Posted by Paige Lovelace (@ohiogirl429861) | February 8, 2017, 9:43 PM
  16. Good luck, buddy. Mom and I said prayers for you and your mom and your doctors to stay strong and brave and smart. We love you. You’re our favorite cookie monster. xoxo

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | February 8, 2017, 9:53 PM
  17. Oh, man. We are so sorry to hear of all these issues poor Rumpy is having, and that you are facing together. Please know that we love you both, and are sending big purrs, prayers and all good thoughts.

Posted by meowmeowmans | February 8, 2017, 10:14 PM
  18. I don’t comment often, but I read your blog all the time. My heart goes out to you and Rumpy.

Posted by ravensgolden | February 8, 2017, 10:18 PM
  19. Rumpy we love you and your mom. Indy and Hannah_nannah

Posted by Indy the cat (@indykitty) | February 8, 2017, 10:20 PM
  20. Oh I am so sorry to read this. My thoughts are with you both. ❤

Posted by pensitivity101 | February 8, 2017, 10:42 PM
  21. Praying for you Rumpy. My vet visit today turned out much better. I just have warts.

Posted by Bongo | February 8, 2017, 10:55 PM
  22. I hope he gets better soon poor love. He’s in the best hands!

Posted by morningfrost | February 8, 2017, 11:25 PM
  23. Much love and potp for you both.

Posted by Becky | February 8, 2017, 11:29 PM
  24. Hang in there sweet Rumpydog. Pixie sends lots of love and energy your way!

Posted by Pixie | February 8, 2017, 11:38 PM
  25. Damn….I always hate when our pets get old and more prone to getting sick.The having to face the mortality of them in situations like this where we have to face that reality that sooner or later we are going to have to say goodbye to them.I really hope the the antibiotics help Rumpy fight the pnemonia and that he gets better again……and that tough old dog Surprises you and the rest of us with the length of time he has left.much love to you and and to Rump,xx Rachel and Speedy

Posted by speedyrabbit | February 9, 2017, 12:32 AM
  26. Oh dear Rumpy, Cookie-saurus & Rumparoni we hope so much that the meds work and that no evil c is inside of you…. hugs and crossed fingers and paws….

Posted by easyweimaraner | February 9, 2017, 12:35 AM
  27. Try liverwurst for Rumpy’s pills. You can buy it where the hot dogs are in the store. Sometimes it’s called Braunschweiger. It comes in a chunk like bologna used to. It worked to give our guy his pills when he wasn’t feeling good. Hugs to you and Rumpy❤

Posted by Sandi | February 9, 2017, 12:54 AM
  28. Jen, I’m sorry. My thoughts are with you and Rumpy and sending prayers that your time together is much longer.

Posted by Candace | February 9, 2017, 1:22 AM
  29. I am so terribly sorry. I don’t have any words that will make it better, just … I understand. And maybe it won’t be as bad as it looks. I wish for you the most possible quality time with Rumpy.

Posted by Marilyn Armstrong | February 9, 2017, 1:49 AM
    • Let’s be honest. IF he lives through the pneumonia and IF the lymph node shrinks, I couldn’t afford two surgeries and even if I could, I don’t know i want to put an old dog through all that. His last days shouldn’t be of him being subjected to invasive medical procedures. His last days should be home with us loving him and comforting him.

Posted by rumpydog | February 9, 2017, 4:18 AM
  30. My thoughts are with you and Rumpy.

Posted by Clowie | February 9, 2017, 2:25 AM
  31. O my stars how hard and what a dear fog. I thonk those of who tead you havr your back. It is sorrowful and to have known and loved our majestic animals is a wondrous thonh

Posted by sorrygnat | February 9, 2017, 2:34 AM
  32. Dear Rumpy, I pray that that your medicine will work, and everything will be fine.
    Kosmo

Posted by Photofinland by Rantasalot | February 9, 2017, 3:19 AM
  33. Bad news … Bongo and I think of Rumpy, hope he will get fine soon.

Posted by puzzleblume | February 9, 2017, 3:50 AM
  34. One step at a time and may each one lead to a healthier Rumpy and happier Jen. Sending positive / healing thoughts.

Posted by marina kanavaki | February 9, 2017, 4:18 AM
  35. Bumpy is very much in our hearts. One thing at a time.

Posted by Animalcouriers | February 9, 2017, 4:38 AM
  36. As Marina, says, try to be positive. The medicine will help him to gain strenght…
    I know how you feel when a beloved pet got old and sick… you suffer with them the pain and the fear of “what after”… stay with Rumpy the longer you can.
    That so sad 😦 claudine

Posted by Giovannoni Claudine | February 9, 2017, 4:43 AM
    • I am not a Pollyanna. I am a realist. I am not going to miss my chance to help Rumpy have a good death by clinging to foolish hopes that won’t come true.

Posted by rumpydog | February 9, 2017, 5:24 AM
      • I am sorry… I didn’t mean to be rude… I just wanted to say I am sorry. Please forgive me if I am not of mother tongue english and for this reason a didn’t use the right words. I am not Pollyanna either, just a woman who loves very much all sentient beings. Forgive me for writing a comment to your post, won’t happen anymore.

Posted by Giovannoni Claudine | February 9, 2017, 6:04 AM
  37. So very sorry 😦 Maybe the medicine will help and all will be well for a while longer.

Posted by grannyK | February 9, 2017, 5:07 AM
  38. Sending love and healing energy! ❤

Posted by becca givens | February 9, 2017, 5:09 AM
  39. Sending purrs for you and your sweet boy! ❤

Posted by Andrea Kenner | February 9, 2017, 5:55 AM
  40. One thing I really hate about being on the poverty line is I can’t afford to take Jamima patch the pirate cat to the vet. She has lost much weigh & I like you fear the worst. I only just met Rumpy so you are both in my thoughts. Putting out positivity.

Posted by Helen Caligiuri | February 9, 2017, 6:04 AM
    • I just charged $500 to a credit card I can’t afford to pay back. So when people say things like get well soon I get upset because I can’t afford to make him well. They seem so damned thoughtless to me.

Posted by rumpydog | February 9, 2017, 10:03 AM
  41. Keeping you in our thoughts, Rumpy.

Posted by Zach S-L (@ZachieDoo) | February 9, 2017, 6:04 AM
  42. Holding Rumpy in our thoughts that he rebounds and has many more good day.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | February 9, 2017, 9:07 AM
  43. Rooting and praying for you Rumpy!! ❤

Posted by willowdot21 | February 9, 2017, 12:02 PM
  44. Thinking of both of you. It’s so hard to love so deeply and know we’ll never have every minute together we’d want.

Posted by somethingwagging | February 9, 2017, 12:14 PM
  45. Sending gentle hugs to Rumpy, keeping you in my thoughts, Jen.
    Love,
    Martha

Posted by Martha | February 9, 2017, 12:36 PM
  46. We will keep Rumpy – and you – in our thoughts. We know just how tough it is to face the illnesses of our senior pets. 😦

Posted by Jan K | February 9, 2017, 1:01 PM
  47. Holding you, Rumpy, and your whole furry family in Love and Light, Jen. xoxoM

Posted by Margarita | February 9, 2017, 1:52 PM
  48. Here’s wishing the best for you and Rumpy, Jen. There are no easy or right ways to deal with the death of a loved one, even a pet. I still miss my mini schnauzer, but I know I was able to provide him a good home for 14 years. Please keep us posted.

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | February 9, 2017, 3:07 PM
    • Thank you Alejandro. I needed someone to say this. I don’t want to be given false hope. My dog is not well, and I want to be there fully for him so he knows in death he was loved just as much as he was in life.

Posted by rumpydog | February 9, 2017, 5:33 PM
  49. Pain every which way you turn…I’m so sorry to read about this, sometimes we find ourselves in such impossible and unjustified situations when all we can do is hope. I wish you and Rumpy strength for the battle. Battles tend to be thought of as fighting for survival, which mosrly they are of sorts, but there’s always that much less spoken of form of battle, the one where you battle to accept and survive the worst case scenario if that it what you must do. When you are fighting both battles at once as I imagine you must be right now it is tougher than anyone else knows and it is lonely, so strength and courage to you, and a big Wolfie hug.

Posted by europasicewolf | February 9, 2017, 3:34 PM
    • Thank you. Yes, and the battle for acceptance is the most lonely of battles. As you see, there are plenty of hopes and wishes, not not many who will be with me while I battle to accept what is and what will be.

Posted by rumpydog | February 9, 2017, 5:38 PM
      • I guess not everybody is emotionally equipped to be there with you in the way that you need. Some may simply not understand, lacking in the experience to do so, others perhaps are not emphatic or distance themselves because your situation cuts to close to the bone for them, bringing up all too painful memories of their own. Most times I travel my paths alone too. It is not good feel so alone at times like this, but if I learned nothing else from it, I realised that no matter how tough and heartbreaking what you’re struggling to deal with is, and there’s no doubt it is heartwrenching, but when you rise back up from the broken ashes you have become something different…stronger…bruised but not broken….and the world looks on and wonders….you become the person others want to be. You’re mentally and emotionally battered and bruised no matter what the outcome and you’ve probably cried a 1000 tears before the final outcome occurs, whichever way it goes. But life will lead you into a better place and it won’t be someone else leading you, it’s that wonderful, strong even when broken, heart inside of you. May wolf walk ever beside you and give you rest in his shadow.

Posted by europasicewolf | February 9, 2017, 6:11 PM
  50. Sending you much love…

Posted by Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom | February 9, 2017, 5:46 PM
  51. I am so sorry my heart knows your pain as I am dealing with large growths on my girl fatty or cancerous not sure I need to know I try to love her and make her comfortable but it is killing me. We must remember how much they love us sending a virtual HUG for you both.

Posted by nutsfortreasure | February 9, 2017, 6:26 PM
    • I’m hoping they’re just fatty tumors. Fortunately most of Rumpy’s were, and there’s always the chance the large one beneath his muscle is a fatty tumor. Deciding whether or not to put him through surgery depends on what happens with that lymph node.

Posted by rumpydog | February 9, 2017, 6:28 PM
  52. Rumpy & you are both in. My prayers it’s so hard as our babies get older xoxo Christina Juneau & Sunny

Posted by Christina M Agans | February 9, 2017, 8:12 PM
  53. Word has it – Facebook that Rumpy is eating a little bit more today. The girls and I are so excited. Every time I hugged him I told him that this is going to Rumpy to make him feel that much better!

We are pulling for you. Both of you.

Posted by anotherboomerblog | February 9, 2017, 8:20 PM
    • He wouldn’t eat the special food the vet suggested so in desperation I bought chicken. He ate one and then two chicken breasts. Right now I’m just happy he’s eating but the fact that he’s not eating his regular food does concern me.

Posted by rumpydog | February 9, 2017, 8:22 PM
      • Bit by bit, little by little. When I got my latest foster everything went slo-mo for awhile. She was sicker than anyone realized. As the days went by and she was getting the care she needed (medication) things started to come together. I am pulling for your guy.

He’s coming back one step at a time. I’ll keep the faith for you if you need me to. You do it for so many others. Lean now and then.

I’ll keep him and you in my workings.

Posted by anotherboomerblog | February 10, 2017, 9:06 PM
  54. I am with you with all my heart dear Jenny and Lovely Rumpy! I pray for you both Love, nia

Posted by niasunset | February 9, 2017, 11:55 PM
  55. So very sorry to reach this update. We are sending strong POTP healing thoughts your way for Rumpy and digital hugs for you.

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | February 10, 2017, 9:39 AM
  56. I’m so sorry to see Rumpy isn’t well. There are no words that make this easer. You and Rumpy are in my thoughts. xx

Posted by Christine | February 10, 2017, 3:21 PM
  57. All of us at DogDaz Zoo are sending healing. May the powers that be keep hold you close, Rumpster.

Posted by dogdaz | February 11, 2017, 8:07 AM
  58. It’s difficult but I am sure that you will make the right decision – fingers crossed it will be a while yet. Get well Rumpy…

Posted by Nachthawk | February 11, 2017, 11:30 AM
  59. Hang in there dear Rumpy .. and get well

Posted by Julie@frogpondfarm | February 11, 2017, 11:27 PM
  60. I’m sorry you are in this overwhelming place. You are guided by love. That is why he’s yours.

Posted by OhMelvin | February 13, 2017, 6:25 PM
  61. So sorry to see this post. I know you love him so much. Big hopes for the best outcome for him, and you.

Posted by heretherebespiders | February 14, 2017, 2:28 PM
  62. love and hugs to rumpy…<3!!

Posted by murphysmission | February 15, 2017, 4:41 AM

1. Pingback: The most amazing thing your body can do | bumpyroadtobubba - February 14, 2017

RumpyDog Fan Club!

Rumpy continues to eat. Unsteady on his back leg, but can walk ok. Loves going outside but gets easily winded. #pawcircle #dog #alaskanmalamute #dogstagram #elderdog