veganism

Did Going Vegan Lower My Cholesterol?

So I told you last August I went vegan to lower my cholesterol.

Yesterday I had a biometric screening for my insurance- my employer requires it for me to get lower insurance costs. I get a basic health exam and if the health professionals find something wrong, like say high blood pressure or diabetes, I would have to agree to work with a health coach to get it under control, otherwise I’d have to pay more for coverage.

And how’s that vegan thing going?

certified-vegan-copy

I’ve lost a total of 25 pounds in the last year. I’ve gone from no exercise to regular exercise.

My blood pressure is normal and my heart rate was good. My glucose was within the normal range (almost right smack dab in the middle, actually).

Oh, but the cholesterol? What about the cholesterol?

Well…

*drum roll*

My total cholesterol has gone down 25 points in the past 7 months! I am thrilled! All my levels were within the normal range, and none were barely hanging in there. I am proud of myself for all the hard work I’ve done for… me!

promise-to-self

I gotta tell you that I feel mighty strange talking up my accomplishments at the same time as I’m hurting so over Rumpy. But in a way it’s all related. I’m determined to improve my life. That means I’m taking steps to improve my physical health. Through this I’ve internalized that I deserve to treat myself with respect, and I’m expecting others to treat me with respect as well. I’m not putting up with other people’s stuff. You have a right to be where you are, but that doesn’t mean I have to deal with it.

Today I will advocate for Rumpy and for myself. I will be here for him just like I am here for me. Together we will decide what steps we should take for his health.

FYI, the next time you hear someone ask what’s the point of going vegan, send them my way. I got lots of reasons I can share.

005603ce811b8c416aa4605ccefa2326

33 thoughts on “Did Going Vegan Lower My Cholesterol?

1. I am so happy about your vegan journey and that its working so well for you health, that is great news !

Posted by Diane Lo Nigro | February 9, 2017, 9:51 PM
  2. I mightdo so. My sugar is awful i dont mean diabetes by use of the word sugar. I wat too many sweets

Posted by sorrygnat | February 9, 2017, 11:07 PM
  3. wow that’s good! and a big YAY to you for being so consequent and strong at the vegan food front.

Posted by easyweimaraner | February 10, 2017, 12:52 AM
  4. Well done,that is good News,As for Rumpy We all know you will do what is right for him,we wouldn’t expect anything else.I hope the Antibiotics are helping him feel a bit better in himself,though Its probably to early for that.any little bit of improvement for that cute fella is what I am hoping for ,for both of you,much love to you and Rumpy,xx Rachel and Speedy

Posted by speedyrabbit | February 10, 2017, 2:46 AM
  5. A lot of questions answered. I don’t think I’m going to do it, but at least now I know why I should.

Posted by Marilyn Armstrong | February 10, 2017, 4:11 AM
  6. Congratulations, Jen. That vegan diet really did the trick for you. Way to go! You must feel so much healthier, too. All the best to you and a hug to poor old Rumps. Thinking of you and how tough it must be dealing with his poor health. You are a strong lady and I admire you.

Posted by catchats | February 10, 2017, 5:24 AM
  7. That’s great! Some good news mixed in with the bad. Hugs to you both.

Posted by Kate Crimmins | February 10, 2017, 7:35 AM
  8. Great job:)

Posted by tylersat99 | February 10, 2017, 8:13 AM
  9. Excellent job! It’s so beautiful to hear people making positive changes to their health and the welfare of all animals. People deserve to be happy, healthy and enjoy life to the fullest. It took me ten years after becoming vegetarian to make the change to a vegan lifestyle, mainly because I found it difficult at first and needed support, but once I did I lost so much weight and felt a lot better about myself. Once again congrats on going vegan!

Posted by CaffinatedKarma | February 10, 2017, 10:26 AM
  10. Wow, wonderful news! Great job on taking care of yourself, it’s important!

Posted by grannyK | February 10, 2017, 11:24 AM
  11. Yes! Well done! 😉 xoM

Posted by Margarita | February 10, 2017, 11:29 AM
  12. Wow, that’s fantastic on your lab values and weight loss and what you’re doing that’s working. Very encouraging. 🙂

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | February 10, 2017, 12:52 PM
  13. Congratulations. You earned it.

Posted by C.A. | February 10, 2017, 4:31 PM
  14. Wonderful congrats on eating for life. You will figure out what Rumpy needs soon enough.

Posted by dogdaz | February 11, 2017, 8:04 AM
  15. Congrats on doing the hard work and the resulting results. Well done. Continued POTP thoughts for Rumpy. ❤︎

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | February 12, 2017, 10:15 AM

RumpyDog Fan Club!

I'm still smiling! I love you!!!!! #dog #dogs #dogstagram #dogsofinstaworld #alaskanmalamute #dying