art

Don’t Listen to Podcasts? Time to #trypod

Do you listen to podcasts?

If you do, you’re one of 20% of the US population who do. If you don’t, I gotta tell ya, you’re really missing out.

Podcasts started out as a fad that some of us oldsters thought would phase out, but it doesn’t appear to be the case.

I got turned onto podcasts when I figured out I didn’t have to wait for my local public radio station to broadcast my favorite shows. I have a few podcasts I listen to regularly, and others I listen to intermittently. Here are my faves.

BS

BackStory is my absolute favorite podcast. I first heard the show on public  radio when I lived in Dothan, AL, but my current local radio station doesn’t broadcast it. BackStory takes current events, such as advocacy in journalism, and discusses the topic from a historical perspective. For instance, think advocacy journalism is a new phenomenon? Nope. Ida B. Wells was considered an advocate journalist because of her writings on lynching, but hers was one of the few voices out there telling the truth about lynching. White journalists typically assumed those who were lynched had committed the offenses they were accused of.

I love that BackStory gives me a historical perspective that, at times, changes how I see what’s happening today.

onthemedia

On the Media is another public radio show turned podcast that covers the media and 1st Amendment issues. This week’s show covers how Wikileaks played the media. It also addresses how the media has covered Trump’s budget as well as how the budget affects Americans.

HB

Hidden Brain  uses scientific research to help explain some current events. Why do so many Americans believe vaccines lead to autisum even though there is absolutely no evidence to support their stance? Shankar Vedantam presents neuroscience studies to explain why we discount facts to believe what we want to believe. Fascinating stuff to me.

During the month of March, podcasts are asking each listener to tell others about what they listen to and why, using the hashtag #trypod.

How about sharing with us what podcasts you listen to and why. I’m always open to try something new!

Rumpy has gone on from this plane. We, his kitty siblings,continue to blog about animal welfare and responsible care of companion animals at rumpydog.com in his stead. You can follow us on Twitter - @RumpyDog. And don't forget to LIKE our Facebook page! Thanks!

15 thoughts on “Don’t Listen to Podcasts? Time to #trypod

1. Malxolm Gladwell’s Revisionist History. Catch up on last season. Overdue a crazy book show.
    Popculture Happy Hour. History of England. He’s up to Henry VIII. Watchlist on Ringer…Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald.
    Can you tell if love podcasts?

Posted by MrsB | March 19, 2017, 7:00 PM
  2. This American Life: I listen to lots of different stories via TAL – one of my favourites https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/550/three-miles
    This American Life {Serial}: The story of Adnan Syed who was tried and sentenced for the murder of his girlfriend in 1999 … but did he do it? 12 part podcast from TAL producers – https://www.thisamericanlife.org/about/serial
    Stuff You Should Know: which really is a dip your toe in to any topic you are interested in and find out something you should know about it … http://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/

Posted by bumpyroadtobubba | March 19, 2017, 7:03 PM
  3. Nope, I don’t…maybe I would if I could figure out the technical issues though!

Posted by turnipsforbreakfast | March 19, 2017, 7:42 PM
  4. I’m a dinosaur … I never tried it… but now I will give it a try …thanks for a great post ;o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | March 20, 2017, 2:12 AM
  5. I’m missing out I imagine. I like my podcasts to be music orientated. And generally electronic. Soz.

Posted by helentastic67 | March 20, 2017, 7:07 AM
  6. I’ve only listened to an occasional one here and there when someone sends me a link but my cousin swears by the ones that tell stories of peoples histories. Don’t know the name but he, and now this from you, have sparked a greater interest. I must admit though that I prefer a book in my spare time. Hope all’s going okay your end.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | March 20, 2017, 9:30 AM
  7. Many (most?) podcasts are very unfriendly to the deaf/Deaf and Hard of Hearing. I rarely listen them because of that.

Posted by anotherboomerblog | March 23, 2017, 11:02 AM
    • Good point. I hadn’t thought of that.

Posted by rumpydog | March 23, 2017, 12:14 PM
      • Because I am hard of hearing, I rely on close captioning unless it is music. If you use close captioning that comes with YouTube frequently it ends up reading like Klingon. I do have friends who have close captioned or who provide vlogs where I can also get American sign language along with captioning and audio.

It’s not something that the hearing think about much.

For actual Podcasts that are nothing but audio and can be downloaded as podcasts from places like iTunes there really isn’t any help unless a transcript is provided.

The reason I mention this is that hearing loss is going up due to environmental exposure. Additionally the population is aging and the older you get the more likely you are to have hearing loss. By the time we’re 75 three quarters of us are likely to have hearing loss.

Simply points to ponder 🤔

Posted by anotherboomerblog | March 23, 2017, 5:12 PM
  8. This is a podcast I host and it is still in its infancy stages. Always looking for constructive criticism as we move along but if you have some time take a listen.

Tailspin Podcast the weekly show that focuses on how to navigate the dive bombs of life, will be posting new episodes on SoundCloud iTunes and Stitcher every Thursday . We cover all topics with quick wit and satire and unlike other hot button shows, we don’t just read you the news, we invite you into our real-life struggles and offer up comedic applicable advice on how to manage it. This NSFW comedy is raw uncut and non PC. Just like the obstacles we face, we don’t pull any punches, but you can be damned sure we’re gonna have a good time.

Posted by tailspinpod | May 21, 2017, 5:41 PM

Hissy Fit Jones takes a nap #formerferal #gingercat #cat #cats #catstagram #catsofinstagram