cats, Pet Health, pets

A Tale of Two Doctors

Bubba wasn’t eating. Again.

So this morning I loaded him up and back to the vet we go.

img_8294

Bubba does not like the vet!

Dr. M. looked him over, then checked his teeth. Yes, he had a bad one.

So she did a blood panel to make sure he was OK for surgery, then I left him there for her to extract the tooth.

She ended up extracting five.

One with a deep pocket could have lasted a little longer, but the good doctor said it would eventually have to go, and she didn’t want to risk having to do surgery again.

After plunking down $700, I brought Bubba home. First thing he wants to do is eat, so I open a can of Fancy Feast, and watch him devour most of it. Way to go, Bubba!

The vet also upped the dose on his thyroid meds.

img_8298

At the rate he’s going, Bubba is going to outlive us all.

I swear, this cat is going to live forever. That makes me happy.

While Bubba was in recovery, I was visiting my doctor’s office regarding recurring pain in my ankle. For the past couple of days there’s also been swelling, and I was concerned.

After looking at and feeling around on my leg, the good nurse practitioner said she thought it’s arthritis. Then she offers to do X-rays and bloodwork. And I’m like, why would you do all that if it’s arthritis? So she wrote me a prescription for Mobic and sent me home.

46 thoughts on “A Tale of Two Doctors

1. Good for Bubba!!
    Arthritis no fun…my empathy and sympathy to you.

Posted by Sheila Morris | July 20, 2017, 9:34 PM
  2. Yay for Bubba, not so yay for Jen x

Posted by bumpyroadtobubba | July 20, 2017, 9:35 PM
  3. So glad for the good news for Bubba! I’m not sure the nurse practitioner was right about the ankle though. You might want to try a chiropractor.

Posted by KDKH | July 20, 2017, 10:27 PM
  4. “I wish they had vets for humans. Health care would be so much easier if they did.” Amen. Glad Bubba is feeling better.

Posted by Roy Sexton (Reel Roy Reviews) | July 20, 2017, 10:37 PM
  5. Try using Voltoral gel on the ankle it will help quite a bit on the inflammation and pain,Good to hear Bubba is doing well now after his surgery,xx Rachel and Speedy

Posted by speedyrabbit | July 20, 2017, 11:39 PM
  6. that#s what I often throught too!!!! wish we could go to a vet too…. and it’s good to hear that Bubba is such a trooper, big hugs to you and the feline hero ;o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | July 21, 2017, 12:51 AM
  7. yay bubba. glad hes ok now. as your ankle xrays could confirm its that and not anything else and would help with right treatment. are they really expensive to get done?

Posted by Michelle Daisy Cantillon | July 21, 2017, 3:55 AM
  8. Go, Bubba! No foods should ever go to waste! Good that your foods are mushy. Teeth are overrated. Gobbling works just as well as chewing – trust me, I know.

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | July 21, 2017, 4:51 AM
  9. Gosh, Bubba is quite the survivor!

Arthritis can be exacerbated by foods that cause inflammation in the body. For me, I discovered that eggs are the worst culprit. I have eliminated them (even the trace amounts in cookies and cakes, etc). I walk better now (without pain) at age 60 than I ever could at age 38! At age 50 I couldn’t even walk across a room without hobbling. Now I can walk 12 miles at a time.

Posted by colettebytes | July 21, 2017, 5:55 AM
  10. Good for Bubba ! Hope your ankle starts to recover !

Posted by Mary McNeil | July 21, 2017, 7:00 AM
  11. Tooth pain can make any cat cranky. Glad you got to the bottom of it and it’s fixed. Another round of Fancy Feast!

Posted by Kate Crimmins | July 21, 2017, 12:18 PM
  12. They used to say “trust the horse doctor if you need help – better than a human one”
    Probably once true – now they both order way too many tests
    Hope you feel better and Bubba keeps on trucking’ along

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | July 21, 2017, 12:55 PM
  13. So glad Bubba had his bad teeth removed. It’s hard to eat when your mouth hurts so much. Hopefully Bubba will gain weigh. Better Bubba than me.

Hugs to you and Bubba.

Posted by Lynda | July 21, 2017, 2:12 PM
  14. Hope Bubba isn’t in too much pain after losing his teeth, bless him. I agree about vets and docs though. Sometimes we think we’d get better service going to a vet for our ailments rather than trying to get an appointment with the doc, which is usually something like two weeks time. By that time whatever the problem was has probably resolved itself.

Posted by pensitivity101 | July 21, 2017, 3:14 PM
  15. Sorry Bubba had to lose some teeth..but hopefully he’ll be eating better now.

Posted by The Island Cats | July 21, 2017, 5:03 PM
  16. Glad that Bubba is better. There are few things that are more painful than bad teeth.

Posted by corkscot | July 21, 2017, 6:35 PM
  17. Bubba looks like he was one ticked off cat. I’m glad the vet found out what was wrong and Bubba’s doing better.

I agree. Vets should treat humans as well. It would be better.

Posted by Whyteferret | July 21, 2017, 10:03 PM
  18. Bubba has those black murderous eyes. So he must totally love the cat condo(as I like to say) Great to have his appetite back. Cheers,H

Posted by helentastic67 | July 22, 2017, 6:13 AM
  19. Most people would opt for the Rx. We’ve been conditioned for the magic pill to solve all healthcare issues. Glad Bubba is on the mend.

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | July 22, 2017, 9:37 AM
  20. I’m glad to read that Bubba is getting better and loves eating, he had to lose five teeth though……I hope that Jen’s ankle pain would disappear before long.

Posted by eripanwkevin | July 23, 2017, 5:48 AM
  21. Indeed!

Posted by willowdot21 | July 23, 2017, 5:10 PM
  22. Mee-you Bubba yur one tuff mankat! Mee iss sendinn you POTP fur a speedy reecovurry……
    An Lady Jen sumtimess Dockturss do X-rayss an bloodwerk to diagnosis what kind of Arfuritis a purrson has. LadyMum said you probablee have to pay fur yur own X-rayss so that iss why you just wanted meddysin!! Mee hopes thee Mobick werkss good.
    Sinseerlee, Siddhartha Henry =^,.^=

Posted by Nylabluesmum | July 23, 2017, 5:57 PM
    • I didn’t want the X-ray because the doc said she’d do it to rule out a fracture. I asked if she thought it was fractured and she said no. So I asked what was the point of an X-ray? The blood work was to measure inflammation levels. Again, I don’t see the point.

Posted by rumpydog | July 24, 2017, 3:02 AM
  23. Awesome news about Bubba. Well, not the $700 part, but certainly that he’s doing so much better after his extractions. We hope your ankle is feeling with the Mobic, Jen.

Posted by meowmeowmans | July 23, 2017, 10:13 PM
  24. just went through the same with my cat…she was like Gandhi? finally fed her baby food with a syringe and she rebounded…and yes, I am arthritic, too…and finally, I wonder if husbands are the most thoughtless nuts alive? I am all alone with cat saving and hobbling…he cares not one whit…and lots of humans inquire as to why I walk funny? about at the end of my rope these days…glad bubba is better…our vet appraised surgery at 1700 bucks…so happy she started eating after seeing the proposed bill….totally sympathetic I am with your plight…

Posted by murphysmission | July 24, 2017, 2:56 AM
  25. I’ve long thought vets would make good human doctors! I’m glad your kitty is better!

Posted by dayphoto | July 25, 2017, 10:34 AM