Really? Two Months?

It’s been so long since I logged in that I had to reset my password. Really? It’s been two months since I wrote a blog post?

I’ve had some down days, but I keep working with my therapist and turning off the news. And things are getting better.

But enough about me. I have a question about Yella Fella.

He continues on his diet, and is doing well. I upped his food to two cans of Fancy Feast per day and a few treats. I did this because he was always crying that he was hungry, even soon after he ate. It’s helped, but he still cries some for food.

For you who have helped a pet lose weight, is this what you’ve noticed in your cat or dog? I feel so guilty, like I’m starving him or something, but he’s not wasting away. He’s down to 17 pounds and I want him to not gain his weight back, which I fear he’d gladly do if given the chance. Just watching him eat treats can be scary: he gobbles his then tries to steal treats from the other cats. If there areย  none left, he sniffs the carpet for crumbs.

He’s become much more affectionate. Instead of hiding in his Tomcat Cave, he lies on the bed with me at night until I go to sleep. He asks me for petting in the mornings after breakfast. He plays a lot more, and when Hissy gets on his nerves, he lets him know. Yella’s coat is healthy and the dandruff has cleared up.

I’m saving money to take him to an eye vet. There’s one in Nashville and another in Birmingham. Maybe one of them can help with those knots on his eyelids.

My sweet baby boy.

40 thoughts on “Really? Two Months?

1. Thanks for the update. Heโ€™s lookinโ€™ better!

Posted by justdrivewillyou | May 10, 2019, 6:18 PM
  2. Nice to see a post from you. I find not watching the news improves my mood too. Glad Yella’s diet is going well. He is a handsome boy.

Posted by 15andmeowing | May 10, 2019, 6:27 PM
  3. When I put Hazel on a diet, she lost 5 pounds over a year. She eventually regained a pound (I’m weak and she would eat the other cat’s food if they didn’t finish it). She always wanted food although she rarely cried. When she did cry, I gave her some because (refer to second sentence). She maintained that weight for the rest of her life. It’s hard. I always felt that she had so little enjoyment although she was able to jump and play much better after she lost weight.

Posted by Kate Crimmins | May 10, 2019, 6:34 PM
  4. We had a choc lab 30 pounds overweight. He complained when we cut his food back and licked the floor clean of every crumb. He was conditioned to get more and he acted out for a couple months after we got the weight off him and then he settled down. I can’t say that Yella’s complaining is similar but it might be. If he’s not “starving” as you say, then maybe just endure it and see if it quiets down? I know, I know, easier said than done. And that’s so sweet about more affectionate. Last but definitely not least, I’m glad you’re doing better and still seeing your therapist. Agree about turning off the news. It’s just too much negative overload that shows no immediate stopping. smooch smooch to ya’ll. โค

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | May 10, 2019, 6:43 PM
  5. Good to see you, and he does look better

Posted by ksbeth | May 10, 2019, 6:44 PM
  6. Whn you are on a diet, you are always hungry.At least Yella probably isn’t driven nuts by all the delicious fast food commercials he might see. Good for all of you !

Posted by catladymac | May 10, 2019, 6:45 PM
  7. Hmmm I am no expert on this topic….but I DO have a suggestion. Could you afford a Feliway Diffuser?? I wonder if it would calm Yella Fella down as he diets…
    I never really thought Feliway worked as it didn’t do much for Purrince Siddhartha. I started using Feliway again this January with BellaDharma & her acting out/play aggression has all but vanished….
    Different problem but maybe Felieway would just take the ‘edge’ off Yella Della’s hunger?
    Good luck!
    (((hugs))) Sherri-Ellen & **purrsss** BellaDharma

Posted by BellaDharma's LadyMew | May 10, 2019, 7:51 PM
  8. I don’t know if this would work, but it is an idea. When Yella Fella hollers for food, could you get out a wand toy or something and play with him a few minutes? He might get the idea – I hope – that you interpret his yowling as needing attention, and it could be. Maybe you can condition him to enjoy something else each time he yowls other than food, so he gets something (just not food.) Just a thought, and ignore it if useless!

Posted by derrycats | May 10, 2019, 8:33 PM
  9. We adopted a overweight cat, he is totally food obsessed. He eats so quickly, it is literally gone in seconds. He will beg for food all the time, every time we go in the kitchen or come home. I think it is like a habit now rather than him actually being hungry. He is down to 5kg/11lb now. We have 2 cats so have to feed them seperately but feed him 4 times a day on a raw diet as he didn’t get on with tinned food. Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted by Emily the Cat Lady | May 11, 2019, 12:23 AM
  10. When I was told that my dog had to lose weight, I also found it difficult. She was clearly hungry all the time. I finally began making the dogsโ€™ food from scratch. It contained lots of vegetables, which filled her up without being as fattening as starchy carbs or meat. She has slowly lost much of the weight she needs to and is happier getting to eat what feels like a proper amount. Of course, cats are more difficult. As carnivores, vegetables donโ€™t work for them. Good job helping YF to be healthier. I know it feels like punishment to you both.

Posted by KDKH | May 11, 2019, 8:09 AM
  11. I am no expert but it sounds like you are working wonders with Yella, keep it up ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

Posted by willowdot21 | May 11, 2019, 10:51 AM
  12. I am glad Yella’s diet is going well..as for his complaining Not sure what you can do about that.Speedy had a vaccination on thursday plus a health check only to find out that he has gain a bit…so disheartening.I’m putting down to the fact he has arthritis and hasn’t been very mobile but he has been taking CBD Hemp oil for a week and a half and he’s acting like he’s a couple of years younger ,so much more active…so maybe that will help with his weight loss,xx Rachel

Posted by speedyrabbit | May 11, 2019, 11:32 AM
    • It’s worth a shot. I used CBD with Rumpy before his death and it did help some.

Posted by Rumpy's Kitty Siblings | May 11, 2019, 12:42 PM
      • It does seem to be helping,he’s back using his litter trays again,Back to playing and looking to go out in the garden again to that is good.The next week will be the real test as we’re off on vacation tomorrow so with all the new sights and smells he should be looking to explore more…we’ll see,give you kitties some cuddles for me,xx Rachel

Posted by speedyrabbit | May 12, 2019, 12:17 AM
  13. Some cats and dogs diet without noticing it … but others act like they’ve never been fed — EVER — and you are killing them. That’s how they GOT fat in the first place. One of our dogs is not food driven. The other two are crazed for treats, but one of the two ONLY likes treats and won’t eat dinner.

Dogs and cats are as strange about food as people are.

Posted by Marilyn Armstrong | May 11, 2019, 1:11 PM
  14. Welcome back! Always good to read an update with happy news. Having dealt with an overweight pet, I had guilt too but then I realized I was saving their life and that took care of the guilt. Keep moving forward with progress-you’ll all be happier and healthier. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | May 11, 2019, 1:35 PM
  15. Yay! It’s so nice to see a post from you, Jen. ๐Ÿ™‚

With regard to Yella, we’ve seen that with some of the dieters at the shelter. They just always seem hungry. We’ve been much luckier here. Our cats who we’ve put in diets have just kind of gotten used to eating less.

Posted by meowmeowmans | May 12, 2019, 9:06 PM
  16. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cat with stye. I would guess a warm compress wouldn’t work like for humans. When TW had Nicky and Autumn on diets, they got 2/3rd of a 6 oz. can of food (which is now 5 oz) divided into two meals and about 10 pieces of kibble. They hosed in all their food. What helped Autumn was daily playtime with Da Bird.

Posted by Cathy Keisha | May 13, 2019, 2:02 PM

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )