Dating, pets

New Beginnings

I’ve been ghosted again.

Graybie doing a bit of bird-watching

I wasn’t surprised, and though my ego never likes when that happens, I wasn’t particularly bothered by it. I don’t take it personally when they leave because the way I see it, I’ve learned something about myself with the encounter and take that lesson with me as I move on.

Saturday I learned that men who ghost you don’t always stay ghosted. That first date that I thought went well but he never called? He called me Saturday and asked to see me. It was obvious this wasn’t an “I’m still interested in you” kind of call and since I have no desire to be a booty call for a ghost, I said no thanks.

Actually I’ve decided that this whole dating thing just isn’t working for me as is and that I need a new game plan. My original goal was to get back on that dating horse and ride. Now I’m ready for more than a date and a disappearing act. If you’ve tried online dating, how’d you do it? All tips are greatly appreciated.

Some of you asked why I haven’t talked about the house? I bought my mom’s house. She’s still living here because she hasn’t found a place to move to yet. It doesn’t feel like home to me; it’s like living on an episode of Hoarders. There’s stuff everywhere, it’s impossible to keep clean, I can’t arrange it the way I want and I have no solitude. Mom doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon either, so I’m not sure what to do. If she isn’t gone by the end of the month I’m going to ask her to put her stuff in storage so I can do something with the place and make it mine.

Be it ever so humble…

As for the shelter dog, I thought the visit went well. She who had no name was 2 years old, active, and responded to basic commands like Come and Sit. The shelter staff seemed kinda put off by me for some reason, still they offered to cat test her and get back to me. That was Thursday and they have yet to call. I know it’s some sort of sacrilege to talk bad about animal shelters and rescues, but if your job is to place pets with people maybe you should do a better job of communicating with people. Or maybe I am the only potential adopter to have been ghosted by a shelter. I’m starting to see a pattern here.

A lovely lady on Facebook who has known me since the Rumpy days has worked relentlessly to help me find the perfect dog, and after hearing about the shelter fiasco she again reached out to her contacts who got me in touch with a cat rescue in Ocala, FL who has…. yes, a dog available for adoption! I talked with the director about the dog, she checked me out, and I am pleased to announce that next weekend I’ll be driving down to pick up Buddy and bring him home.

I’m in love!

Buddy is around 10 years old. He has some health issues due to neglect, but they are treatable and are being treated. I was told he spent much of his previous life crated. I want him to have something better in his golden years, and we all know he will give me far more than I could ever give him.

So here’s to new beginnings. Though they have been rocky on all fronts, may they soon smooth out and give me the joy and contentment I’ve worked hard for and am ready to receive.

I'm Jen, caregiver to the late, great Rumpydog and now to some rather pesky kitties. You can follow us on Twitter - @FineMellowFella and @HissyFitJones. And don't forget to LIKE our Facebook pages! Thanks!

38 thoughts on “New Beginnings

1. Awww, Buddy looks like a real sweetie! I adore those older animals, they have so much love to give.

Posted by Catwoods | July 13, 2020, 2:38 PM
  2. HURRAH fore Buddy!! Hurrah fore you Miss Jen!! Wee so xcited fore yore mew bee-ginnin… Buddy iss furry cute. Mee hopess all THE catss will love Buddy as much as you do.
    An yore house iss lovelee Miss Jen. Mee an LadyMew hope yore Mummy findss a mew place soon so you can make it yore own!
    ***purrss*** BellaDharma

Hi Jen: I am so sorry this dating deal is not working out. I wish I could give you some great tips or ideas….I tried online dating for 2 years & it was a complete bust for me. All I can say is be true to yourself &follow your intuition.
    {{hugs}} Sherri-Ellen

Posted by BellaDharma an LadyMew | July 13, 2020, 2:42 PM
  3. New beginnings and new adventures!!! Buddy is such a handsome dude – those eyes – just look into my eyes – hehe – here’s to play time, treats, belly rubs, etc. Wishing You the Best – Be Safe and Take Care.

Posted by cravesadventure | July 13, 2020, 2:51 PM
  4. Buddy is a handsome boy! Congrats to you and him. I hope he gets along with the cats. And good luck on the dating and home fronts. Personally I’m too busy to really worry about dating and am leary of trying online dating.

Posted by jowensauthor | July 13, 2020, 2:55 PM
  5. Great news about Buddy. Who needs a man when you have furbabies? 🙂

Posted by 15andmeowing | July 13, 2020, 4:24 PM
  6. Forget about dating, Jen! Go with the dog! They’re more loyal and loving.

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | July 13, 2020, 5:14 PM
  7. Looking forward to meeting Buddy.

Posted by pensitivity101 | July 13, 2020, 5:28 PM
  8. You got the best buddy, better than any date. He looks so sweet! Thank you for adopting him. I add my wish to yours that joy and contentment are on their way to you.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | July 13, 2020, 5:56 PM
  9. OH, thank you for rescuing Buddy – he looks like he has a lot of hope and companionship to give. Nothing is as grateful and loyal as a shelter dog who has been waiting so long for home. Can’t wait for the Welcome Forever Home, Buddy post.
    Dating. Sigh. You are brave to try the online stuff. Too much weirdness out there and it’s easy to hide. Maybe you and Buddy will unexpectedly bump into someone in real.
    Yea for new beginnings ( and I know what you mean about the house. We bought my parents’ house…you have to get your stuff where you like it …and once they are out of the way, then think about any changes ( easy ones! Only easy ones!!!)

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | July 13, 2020, 6:48 PM
  10. OMG, Buddy is so cute. I can see the love in his beautiful face. So excited for you both! 🙂

Posted by meowmeowmans | July 13, 2020, 10:30 PM
  11. I like the look of the house, it looks friendly. I imagine it could take a while to feel like it’s yours. It’ll probably happen gradually.

I hope Buddy settles in well. He looks a sweetie!

Posted by Clowie | July 14, 2020, 2:23 AM
  12. It’s all go on all fronts then! The house situation is very complicated though — have you found a good storage facility yet? Here’s to Buddy arriving and everyone being happy.

Posted by Animalcouriers | July 14, 2020, 4:26 AM
  13. Can you rent one of those pods. It’s a trailer container you can park in your driveway to store stuff. Maybe your mom would feel comfortable with that. Glad things are turning around. New house, new dog and maybe new love although those are never easy to find. You will need to find another animal lover for sure.

Posted by Kate Crimmins | July 14, 2020, 7:24 AM
  14. Squeals, Buddy is adorable! Online dating can be entertaining but I either just didn’t have the patience to weed through the weeds or I’m far pickier than I think. Now whenever I feel the need, I make a date to visit a shelter. As for not getting a call back on the pet you liked, shelter staff are often a lot like online dates. Sometimes you click, sometimes you don’t. Although I think the responsible thing is to not be a coward and let people know they just weren’t into you. Safe travels bringing Buddy home. And yup I think getting a storage unit for mom’s stuff makes good sense. Here’s to putting your personal stamp on the new home and new pup!

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | July 14, 2020, 12:54 PM
  15. you make my day, jen! where have you been all of my life!

Posted by Susie Sexton | July 14, 2020, 4:32 PM
  16. So pleased you have a woofie in your life again. Just hope he’s kitty friendly so his transition will be easy for all

Posted by Savannah's Paw Tracks | July 15, 2020, 9:05 AM
  17. Welcome home Buddy!! Hope you are enjoying your new furry friend 😊🌿

Posted by mindbeautysimplicity | July 27, 2020, 8:36 AM

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )