Life with a Dog

Now that Buddy’s been here for a few weeks I remember all that I’ve missed by not having a dog in my life.

Like always having a supply of poop bags in my pocket, and never assuming a trip outdoors won’t call for one.

And keeping a ball cap handy for heading outdoors first thing in the morning.

Being able to tell the time based on the way the neighborhood sounds. Do you also have a neighbor that mows at 6 am?

Identifying the Cool House by the number of pee-mails found there. I trust Buddy to fill me in on that one.

Calling neighbors not by their names but by the breed of dog they live with.

As much as I love the cats, there’s just something different about living with a dog.

During our follow-up visit to the vet she voiced concern that Buddy could have low thyroid levels so she sent off a blood sample for testing and it appears she was correct. He’s started on meds and we’ll follow up in a month for more bloodwork so see how he’s doing. This would explain part of his skin problems (he also has allergies) and maybe his feverish desire to snack in the litterbox.

I am living alone now. Buddy and the cats seem to be taking it well. I’m less stressed and I’m sure they sense that. Now the work around here truly begins.

I'm Jen, caregiver to the late, great Rumpydog and now to some rather pesky kitties. You can follow us on Twitter - @FineMellowFella and @HissyFitJones. And don't forget to LIKE our Facebook pages! Thanks!

16 thoughts on “Life with a Dog

1. I am finding it odd not having a dog in the house. I miss my Chev so much. Can’t believe it’s been 2 months since she passed. But I am not sure if I will get another dog. So you are on your own now? That must feel great. Hope it happened without too much drama.

Posted by Jo Bryant | August 13, 2020, 3:06 PM
    • I understand those feelings. I waited two years after Rumpy died, but last Christmas at my brother’s house with his dogs convinced me it was time for another dog. And the reason I bought this house was to have a dog. Am I nuts? Yes, but that’s beside the point.

Posted by Rumpy's Kitty Siblings | August 14, 2020, 8:53 AM
  2. Having Honey and walking her wherever we go plugs me into a place more than anything else. Cats are adorable. But unless yours enjoy walking outside on a leash, they’re just not going to help you keep track of your neighborhood in quite the same way.

Posted by Pamela | August 13, 2020, 3:11 PM
  3. The post at the end of our drive is one of the pee-mail spots. It’s very handy to always be up to date!

Posted by Clowie | August 13, 2020, 3:21 PM
  4. Living alone? I’m sure there’s a story there that we won’t hear. That’s understandable. I’m gad that Buddy is getting the care he needs!

Posted by KDKH | August 13, 2020, 3:49 PM
  5. oh, handsome, sensitive face there! wow! hi, buddy!

Posted by Susie Sexton | August 13, 2020, 4:53 PM
  6. There’s that wonderful devotion in his eyes. Nothing else like it. Someday we hope to have another dog(s). Probably one who needs Final Refuge from Old Dog Haven in Washington state. Buddy was definitely worth the long drive. Love to you all…Diana, Tim & RainbowCatsx12

Posted by dogsleder | August 13, 2020, 5:09 PM
  7. It sure looks like Buddy has settled in quite nicely!

Posted by Brian | August 13, 2020, 5:38 PM
  8. Sounds like things are going well! Hope his health issues are simple and inexpensive.

Posted by Kate Crimmins | August 13, 2020, 6:23 PM
  9. we hope you will get good news from the vet… hugs to you , buddy and the cats ;O)

Posted by easyweimaraner | August 14, 2020, 2:01 AM
  10. So glad Bubby is settling in. It is wonderful to have a dog around 💜. I hope the vet issues are sorted soon. Has your mum moved out… You said you guys were on your own 💜

Posted by willowdot21 | August 14, 2020, 3:33 AM
  11. HURRAH!! I am relieved you now have the house to yourself Jen! And thrilled Buddy is settling in so well & that the Felines are accepting Buddy too!
    I’d love a dog but with all the health & mobility issues it is better for me to have a cat as companion. I AM so HAPPY you & Buddy found each other!!!!
    ((hugs)) Sherri-Ellen & **purrss** BellaDharma

Posted by BellaDharma an LadyMew | August 14, 2020, 10:38 AM
  12. Glad things are going well with Buddy; we’ll keep our paws crossed that Buddy’s thyroid levels start balancing out. I just love his adorable face. 🐶

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | August 14, 2020, 12:05 PM
  13. That face! Life is so full with a dog around. Glad your life is settling in.

Posted by Becky | August 14, 2020, 5:11 PM
  14. It’s wonderful to read how well Buddy has settled in, and neat how all the things you had forgotten have come rushing back. My goodness, he is handsome and adorable. That face!

Posted by meowmeowmans | August 15, 2020, 9:41 PM
  15. OMD, I can totally relate to this!

Posted by Andrea Kenner | August 17, 2020, 9:01 AM

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )