Buddy the Con Artist

Buddy has been trying to jump on the bed and sometimes falling. I bought some steps for him to use to climb up and down the bed, but he refuses to even try to use them.

I thought it was because he didn’t know how and have been trying to teach him. It’s mostly been an utter failure.

So imagine my surprise today when I took the steps out to the car to help him in for our trip to the vet and the little stinker walked right up them. Not just once, but twice – once at home going and once at the vet coming back.

Rumpy was a smart dog, but I knew he was smart. Buddy is a flat-out con artist. He is one of those smart dogs that pretends not to be.

Like when we go outside and he decides he wants to stroll around the block and check his pee-mail. He won’t say he wants to go for a walk. He just wants to go outside to potty. So here I am with the door wide open and no bra on and he heads for the corner of the yard which is where we usually start our walks. I’m like, “Buddy, I can’t go like this!” And he’s like, “Sure you can. Look at me, I’m practically naked!”

Or when he casually strolls over to where I’m serving up supper and in one bite inhales Yella’s dinner. It’s funny to me because Yella has stolen lots of other meals in his lifetime but he can’t handle it when his gets stolen.

Buddy has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. He’s on meds and we went today for bloodwork to see if he’s on the right dosage. I can tell he’s less lethargic and doesn’t act like he’s starving all the time like he used to. He’s also on a medication for his allergies that affect his skin, and I use a special shampoo and rub mousse on his feet and legs regularly. He’s also got some arthritis in his back legs. But despite all that he’s happy, funny, and absolutely smitten with me.

I’m glad Buddy decided to take a chance on me. We’re a good fit, my dog and I.

I'm Jen, caregiver to the late, great Rumpydog and now to some rather pesky kitties. You can follow us on Twitter - @FineMellowFella and @HissyFitJones. And don't forget to LIKE our Facebook pages! Thanks!

17 thoughts on “Buddy the Con Artist

1. He’s a perfect fit for the whole house! A truly smart pet prefers that you don’t know. They can get away with more that way.

Posted by Kate Crimmins | September 10, 2020, 1:28 PM
  2. Nice to know he’s got you where he wants you.

Posted by pensitivity101 | September 10, 2020, 1:29 PM
  3. We’re sure glad that Buddy found his happy with you!

Posted by Brian | September 10, 2020, 2:11 PM
  4. If he has a bit of the breed like our neighbor’s dog he is certainly a con artist. Mister Maverick is American Bulldog and boy does his personality fit his name of Maverick – he is a maverick, sly, con artist, cagey, stubborn, selective hearing, etc. type of dog. It has provided for some much needed entertainment in the neighborhood – ha! I am glad to hear Buddy is fitting right in and giving you a run for your money at times – he sounds like he will keep you on your toes ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy Day – Enjoy

Posted by cravesadventure | September 10, 2020, 2:16 PM
  5. I am so glad that you are both happy and he has settled in with everyone โ˜บ๏ธ

Posted by willowdot21 | September 10, 2020, 4:14 PM
  6. ROFL?MOFL!! Oh Miss Jenn Buddy sure iss a grate con artiste! You an LadyMew sound alot alike. Shee went thru that with ‘angel’ Unkell Siddhartha when hee wanted a ‘short’ walk….then he wuud try to shlep her ’round THE buildin an no bra on! LadyMew was mortyfied!!! Say was mee Unkell reelly a poochie like Buddy???? Mew mew mew…
    **purrss** BellaDharma

Posted by BellaDharma an LadyMew | September 10, 2020, 6:30 PM
  7. Looks like Buddy is enjoying his โ€œretirementโ€ / new life in your household, Jen! And, at his age, what does anybody care?!

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | September 10, 2020, 11:20 PM
  8. He’s trying to teach you to always be ready for an adventure! ๐Ÿ˜€

Posted by Clowie | September 11, 2020, 1:14 AM
  9. So lovely to see them all sleeping in a row. Buddy certainly knows how to run you from behind ๐Ÿ˜€

Posted by Animalcouriers | September 11, 2020, 5:08 AM
  10. Buddy is so awesome, and we are glad the two of you found each other, Jen. ๐Ÿ™‚

He sounds like such a character! XO

Posted by meowmeowmans | September 12, 2020, 8:55 PM
  11. Love that image of the whole pack together. Very sweet.

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | September 13, 2020, 11:05 AM
  12. I’m glad to see that the cats accept him, too. He really is a good fit!

Posted by KDKH | September 21, 2020, 11:15 AM

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

No Instagram images were found.