Requiem for the Goodest Dog

As I write this I’m sitting on the sofa. Normally Buddy would be lying beside me with his head touching my thigh.

But Buddy died today.

It’s crazy. We were just at the vet yesterday having a growth on his tail checked out. The vet who saw him said it was no big deal. Buddy flirted with the techs and ate treats.

The Goodest dog

This morning I called the vet clinic again because Buddy wouldn’t get up. He didn’t want to go potty or even into the living room with me. I somehow managed to get him in the car and back to the vet clinic where they determined he had a ruptured hemangiosarcoma on his spleen. After talking with the vet, I agreed to have him euthanized.

Just like that my sweet dog is gone.

At the vet yesterday

I know he didn’t want to go. It was so unfair! He finally had a home where he was loved and cared for, and cats who doted on him. But life isn’t fair, and no amount of wishful thinking was going to change his fate. Still, he wasn’t happy about it and bit a vet tech as she attempted to insert a catheter in his leg for the euthanasia drugs.

Buddy, I will miss your always being close to me. How you looked at me like I was the most wonderful person in the world. How you barked at me to make room for you on the couch, And how you snuck around trying to get into a litterbox when you thought I wasn’t paying attention.

Sniffing my tires to see where I’d been

You were the goodest dog, Buddy. And I am never going to forget you.

I'm Jen, caregiver to the late, great Rumpydog and now to some rather pesky kitties. You can follow us on Twitter - @FineMellowFella and @HissyFitJones. And don't forget to LIKE our Facebook pages! Thanks!

50 thoughts on “Requiem for the Goodest Dog

1. Oh honey, I am so very sorry.

Posted by Andrea Kenner | September 23, 2020, 1:44 PM
    • I am so sorry Jen, It seems like he only just came to live with you so recently and yet he was truly a loved member of your family. I am so sad that this terrible illness came upon him so suddenly and now he is gone . Please know in your heart you made the end of his life very special by living with such a loving family ❤

Posted by Diane Lo Nigro | September 24, 2020, 12:52 AM
  2. Oh no, poor Buddy and poor you. We are so very, very sorry to hear this news. Although he wasn’t there long enough, we all could sure see the love in his sweet eyes. Hugs, hugs and more hugs from all of us.

Posted by Brian | September 23, 2020, 1:52 PM
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. Our Waldo was ripped away from us by the same awful cancer three years ago. He was ten. It was not enough time. He was the most amazing dog we ever had, and my heart will never be the same. Henangiosarcoma is vile, how it lurks undetected until it’s ready to take it’s victim. It steals years of companionship away. We either Waldo, to, because we didn’t want him to suffer a single moment of pain. He was too special. We loved him too much to allow that. He was confused. He didn’t understand what we were doing or why. He didn’t bite, but he fought to stay with us. I hope you can find peace eventually in your boy’s passing, that the pain softens, that his memory is a blessing. 💔

Posted by yelodoggie | September 23, 2020, 1:55 PM
  4. So sorry for your loss, Jen and kitties. RIP, Buddy. At least you knew unconditional love before you passed, and wasn’t it all worth it?

Posted by Cat Crazy | September 23, 2020, 1:55 PM
  5. Oh Jen I am so sorry. I know you loved Buddy and I know how hard it is to lose an animal friend, especially when the time is too short. Buddy had loving care from you and your kitties and I hope you can take comfort in that. Hugs.

Posted by Catwoods | September 23, 2020, 1:59 PM
  6. Oh no – I am so very sorry. My heart and soul is breaking for you. Buddy had a GREAT life with you. Take Care (((((prayersandhugs))))))

Posted by cravesadventure | September 23, 2020, 2:03 PM
  7. We are so sorry. Buddy was lucky to have such a wonderful life and a loving family. (((hugs)))

Posted by The Florida Furkids | September 23, 2020, 2:17 PM
  8. Oh no Jen! I’m so very sorry. Buddy was the goodest dog. I was so glad when you brought him home. Buddy loves you and you love Buddy so much. I hope in time you will bring another sweet dog home to love. My heart is breaking for you and Buddy. (((hugs)))

Posted by bigdogmom2013 Angie | September 23, 2020, 2:21 PM
  9. Oh no! I am so very sorry, this is just so sad and totally out of the blue. At least he had found a loving home, albeit for a short time, but it doesn’t make it any easier. I feel your pain, and my thoughts are with you.

Posted by pensitivity101 | September 23, 2020, 2:23 PM
  10. Oh, no!!!!!!! I’m so so sorry, Jen! Not fair at all… Sending you a hug and my thoughts.

Posted by marina kanavaki | September 23, 2020, 2:38 PM
  11. Oh no! How terrible! I’m so sorry. It certainly isn’t fair. But at least he had found a good home with you for the short time you were together. Hugs.😥

Posted by jowensauthor | September 23, 2020, 2:42 PM
  12. It’s so so sad and unfair 😿 You are in my thoughts!

Posted by janinka1 | September 23, 2020, 2:50 PM
  13. I am so sorry. I knew he was the goodest dog ever. He put up with your cats like they were his besties. RIP sweet Buddy. Hugs to everyone in your household.

Posted by Kate Crimmins | September 23, 2020, 2:54 PM
  14. So sorry to hear of your loss. Buddy was a handsome boy.

Posted by Animalcouriers | September 23, 2020, 3:06 PM
  15. Oh noooo! I’m so sorry. Bless you for taking him in and giving him love in his last days. What a sad situation. Take good care.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | September 23, 2020, 3:11 PM
  16. I’m so very sorry to read this, my heart breaks for you. Your family did not have enough time with Buddy, but the time you had sounded so special. ♥

Posted by Jan K | September 23, 2020, 3:19 PM
  17. This is so sad…we are so very sorry.

Posted by The Island Cats | September 23, 2020, 3:44 PM
  18. I am heartbroken for you and precious Buddy. I lost all 3 of my Sibes years ago to that same damn cancer growth n the spleen. He spent his last weeks being loved by you and his kitties.

Posted by Savannah's Paw Tracks | September 23, 2020, 3:51 PM
  19. So very sorry. I know you and the kitties will miss him terribly. 😢😢😢

Posted by justdrivewillyou | September 23, 2020, 4:16 PM
  20. I am so very sorry, too, about your losing Buddy. We’ve been there too many times so Pretty and I send our deepest sympathy. Nothing takes their place. Stay safe and sane for his sake, tho.

Posted by Sheila Morris | September 23, 2020, 4:19 PM
  21. So sorry to read this sad and painful news about Buddy. I hope you can find some comfort in the warm memories of a beautiful dog. You are in my thoughts.

Posted by Herman | September 23, 2020, 4:27 PM
  22. No tail wagged better. Buddy your charm made the world better.

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | September 23, 2020, 4:32 PM
  23. So sorry for your loss. You gave him such a good home and gave him comfort.

Posted by grannyK | September 23, 2020, 4:48 PM
  24. This is such sad news. I am so sorry. XO

Posted by 15andmeowing | September 23, 2020, 5:21 PM
  25. Oh Jen, I’m so sorry. Thank you for giving Buddy his best life ever. We adopt seniors so I feel your pain. It’s never long enough but all any of us can do is give them their best lives ever for as long as we have them. You did that for Buddy.

Posted by Becky | September 23, 2020, 5:35 PM
  26. love you. love buddy. thanks for you loving buddy!

Posted by Susie Sexton | September 23, 2020, 5:46 PM
  27. So hard and so unfair…but what a wonderful loving bond you shared, and both of you are the better for it.

Posted by catladymac | September 23, 2020, 6:03 PM
  28. How could this be happening Jen?? I am typing thru my tears…OMG I am so very sorry that Buddy went to Summerland. Somehow we have to remind ourselves you were meant to adopt him & give him the best days of his Life being loved by you & the cats. It is NOT fair Buddy was sick or that he had to leave….but please know your LOVE kept him here; your LOVE gave him the BEST days of his Life. And Buddy is looking down on all of you….
    He sure was THE Goodest Doggie….
    Run free Buddy!
    And Jen please accept our condolences on your loss.
    Love Sherri-Ellen & **purrss** BellaDharma
    P.S.: When my Mingflower had to be put to sleep I had Vet come to our place. I was holding her & when Vet tried to give her drug to make her woozy she BIT ME!! She was in total Renal Failure & she too did not want to go….but she was suffering so much….I hope she finds Buddy in Summerland……

Posted by BellaDharma an LadyMew | September 23, 2020, 6:10 PM
  29. I’m so so sorry. He seemed like such a sweetheart.

Posted by Chanandler Bung | September 23, 2020, 6:34 PM
  30. Jen, I am so very sorry for your loss! Buddy was a very good dog and will be missed terribly.
    Love, Kathy

Posted by Kathy Reynolds | September 23, 2020, 7:20 PM
  31. Dammit. I’m sitting here crying because you are right, it’s just not fair. We are so sorry, Jen. Thank you for giving Buddy a lifetime’s worth of love in the short time he was with you.

Posted by meowmeowmans | September 23, 2020, 7:48 PM
  32. Awww. That’s a hard one. Of all the ‘bestest’ places to be for Buddy was the ‘bestest’ house with Jen and the kitties to make the end of his life the very bestest,

Posted by Kathy Michael | September 23, 2020, 8:46 PM
  33. Please accept my condolences, Jen. I wish there was a sadness emoji, instead of merely a “Like” button for these kinds of blog posts. I guess the best thing in this situation is that – for the very short time Buddy lived with you – he knew the feeling of what it’s like to have someone love and care for him.

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | September 23, 2020, 10:06 PM
  34. I can’t imagine the amount of pain you’re in. I am so sorry this happened to Buddy, and to you. I can only think how blessed you both were to have found each other, angels for each other, and had a perfect life for that short time.

Posted by Bernadette | September 23, 2020, 10:27 PM
  35. jean our tears are running … hugs to you …. for the goodest dog ever…

Posted by easyweimaraner | September 24, 2020, 1:52 AM
  36. I am so sorry. You had such a short time together, but you made him happy.

Posted by Clowie | September 24, 2020, 2:30 AM
  37. Sorry for your loss. You made him happy.

Posted by stanzebla | September 24, 2020, 3:30 AM
  38. Oh no, that must have been a terrible shock. I’m so sorry.

Posted by annabellefranklinauthor | September 24, 2020, 6:29 AM
  39. Sweet Jesus, woman! Worst news. So sorry for your loss. Cheers,H

Posted by helentastic67 | September 24, 2020, 7:48 AM
  40. We send respect, an gentle wooooos,

Nuk & family

Posted by Ra Husquiberian | September 24, 2020, 9:51 AM
  41. I am so very sorry to hear about Buddy! What a terrible heartbreaking thing to lose a beloved pet. Our heart goes out to you!

Posted by Dennis and Emily's mom | September 24, 2020, 10:02 AM
  42. I’m so, so sorry. Buddy was very special and he obviously loved you very much. Godspeed, sweet boy.

Posted by Michelle Lyon | September 24, 2020, 10:55 AM
  43. So sad. RIP, sweet boy. You will be missed by many.

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | September 24, 2020, 12:43 PM
  44. Well crap. This is just heartbreaking news. I’m so sorry for your loss. May the tender moments and companionship you shared provide a measure of comfort. 💔 RIP dear Buddy.

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | September 24, 2020, 1:23 PM
  45. I’m so sorry for the loss of your beloved Buddy💗Soft Pawkisses to comfort you in this time of grief🐾😽💞
    Fly free beautiful Soul✨

Posted by angelswhisper2011 | September 25, 2020, 1:14 AM
  46. I’m hear to pay my respects to Buddy, the goodest dog. *bows head* Life is so unfair. He died feeling love he never had when he was younger.

Posted by Cathy Keisha | September 25, 2020, 10:11 PM
  47. I am so sorry I missed this. So sorry for you loss.💜💜

Posted by willowdot21 | September 26, 2020, 12:33 AM
  48. I’m sorry. I know your pain. The love for a beloved pet never dies. I still sense my lost fur babies from time to time. Hugs. 💗

Posted by tcailleach | September 26, 2020, 9:44 PM

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )