MEOW! My name is June Buggie and I have something to say.
Everywhere I look on the Internet are reminders to not leave pets in hot cars.
There are posts on Facebook and Twitter.
There are posters on Pinterest.
There are a gazillion blog posts.
What I want to know is: Which of you idiots out there haven’t figured out yet that leaving any living thing in a hot car is a bad idea?
Apparently there are lots of you, because thousands of dogs die each year in a hot car, including K-9 officers and beloved family pets.
Look, the temperature inside a car rises quickly, even on what seems to be a comfortable day. In as little as 15 minutes, a dog can die of heat stroke.
So grandpa comes out and his precious baby is dead. Or the fashionista that takes her dog “everywhere” no longer has her dog. A police department loses a team member and a valuable investment.
The excuses start immediately:
- But I wasn’t gone that long!
- I didn’t think it was that hot!
- But I parked in the shade!
Tell it to a judge, human. Actually, in some states you will, because it’s against the law to leave an animal in a hot car.
What can you do to help a dog left in a hot car?
- Call law enforcement. Granted, dogs in cars are going to be of lower priority than some other crimes, so don’t assume they’re going to rush over to save the dog.
- Send someone into nearby stores to find the owner. Or go yourself if there’s someone who will agree to stand by the car and keep an eye on the dog.
- Have a witness, then free the dog. With smart phones all over the place, should be easy enough to get someone to video the event. Break a window and get the dog out of the car and cooled down. Yes, you may be arrested, but when you get your day in court, I doubt many judges are going to find you guilty of doing the right thing. Just make sure it truly was necessary to break the window.
One other thing: anytime a human talks to you about taking their dog everywhere, remind them to not leave the dog in the car!
No, I don’t care how quick you’ll be. Don’t do it. Don’t be one of the thousands of idiots that leaves a dog alone in a hot car.