About That Farm Bill…..

Well, it looks as though Congress is headed home for summer recess without passing a farm bill. No word yet on whether the King Amendment remains intact.

Rep Steve King of Iowa (photo from wikipedia)

Rep Steve King of Iowa (photo from wikipedia)

Unless you’ve had no exposure to the news, then you know this is the guy that said that Hispanic immigrants are usually coming into the country to smuggle drugs, and they have calves the size of cantaloupes. Yeah, he’s got class alright.

But it isn’t just Hispanics he seems to detest. He’s got it out for animals too.

In case you aren’t familiar with Iowa Representative Steve King’s stance on animals, I thought I’d share a few tidbits with you today.’

In 2012, King voted against an amendment that would make it illegal to watch animal fighting or to entice someone else to watch. When asked about his vote, he said, “On the legislation that passed in the farm bill that says it’s a federal crime to watch animals fight or to induce someone else to watch an animal fight, but it’s not a federal crime to induce somebody to watch people fighting. There’s something wrong with the priorities of people that think like that. There’s something wrong with Wayne Pacelle and the Humane Society of the United States way of thinking like that.”

In 2011, he voted against an amendment that would have repealed provisions of existing law that prohibit the United States Fish and Wildlife Service from using appropriated funds to designate a species or habitat as endangered or threatened.

In 2009, King Voted NO on protecting free-roaming horses and burros.

In 2007, he voted against a federal law upgrade against animal fighting.

He voted against the Horse Slaughter Prohibition Bill of 2006.

In 2005, he voted YES on deauthorizing “critical habitat” for endangered species.

King’s score with the League of Conservation Voters is 5%. I’m sure his denial of climate change has something to do with that.

King’s score with the Humane Society Legislative Fund is 0%, not surprisingly.

Defenders of Wildlife rate him at 3%.

Representative King doesn't like us very much.

Representative King doesn’t like us very much.

Isn’t it funny how one man seems to wield so much power in determining how animals are to be treated?

That’s why we need all of you to get ready to fight for us when Congress reconvenes. The Farm Bill will be buried under the fight for a budget, so we must be diligent to ensure this amendment is not in that bill!

41 thoughts on “About That Farm Bill…..

1. He sounds like quite the humanitarian! honestly how anyone can have an attitude such as his and sleep at night is beyond me.Of course if he has enough cronies on side and ‘takes care’ of the right people he can do anything.I do hope Americans can put a stop to his absolute disrespect for all living things.
    Hugs Fozziemum

Posted by fozziemum | August 2, 2013, 5:53 AM
    • He has said all sorts of things against people and against animals, and yet here he is- an elected official. Makes you wonder about the people who elect him.

Posted by rumpydog | August 2, 2013, 6:00 AM
      • Indeed..we have a horror in New south wales for the ‘shooters party’ one of my personal favourites..not..lovely man elephant shooter rhino you name it..yet some morons have decided he represents the good upstanding shooters in the country..one look the people who voted for him answers my question..i despise guns..our Simba was shot and killed broad daylight for fun! we sold our house and moved….cost a small fortune but finding 11 acres with no neighbours 3 hours away ..was worth it..here our pets are safe..idiots who have no respect for animals naturally can’t extend that to humans ..if only people understood this..and they hold their heads high..astounding..

Posted by fozziemum | August 2, 2013, 6:06 AM
      • Shot for fun? That is sickening.

Posted by rumpydog | August 2, 2013, 6:47 AM
      • Devastating..we waited a year then decide we couldn’t stay..i had to lock the dogs in the dogs in the house whenever we went out,and was terrified my pet sheep would get shot…we sold and left it all behind..we named our Property Samovila..a Russian fairy who was the protector of all woodland creatures..and I know Simba is with us here..everyday I send my thoughts to the person who did this..i don’t know who..but I hope they feel my fury!!

Posted by fozziemum | August 2, 2013, 7:19 AM
      • How sad that someone thought that was acceptable behavior.

Posted by rumpydog | August 2, 2013, 4:04 PM
      • Exactly..

Posted by fozziemum | August 2, 2013, 6:36 PM
    • IMHO the man is a Sociopath. Only Sociopaths can sleep at night free of conscience. 🙂

Posted by Girl for Animal Liberation | August 2, 2013, 9:20 AM
  2. I did my emails and phone calls! I consider it my civic duty. Thanks, Rumpy for getting people active.

Posted by Russell Smith | August 2, 2013, 6:03 AM
  3. So agree. THanks for writing about this nut job. He is scary period, but his desire to harm animals is just crazy.

Posted by Mel | August 2, 2013, 7:15 AM
  4. My dad did the phone calls, but we only reached the Bureau of Mr. Lucas (OK). I hope this “KING” will never rule.

Posted by easyweimaraner | August 2, 2013, 7:19 AM
  5. This man is a piece of shit. Maybe he’ll die of a heart attack and the world will be free of sociopaths like him!

Posted by Girl for Animal Liberation | August 2, 2013, 9:20 AM
  6. Reblogged this on Girl for Animal Liberation and commented:
    Do you want to know what a Text Book Sociopath looks like? Well here you go folks this man is an example of a Sociopath. Read on to learn just how sociopaths think…

Posted by Girl for Animal Liberation | August 2, 2013, 9:21 AM
  7. Very sad and frustrated…..why that representative was chosen in Iowa? Who support him? Something wrong in this election….

Posted by eripanwkevin | August 2, 2013, 9:57 AM
  8. I really don’t like this guy’s actions… how did he even get elected!!!!

Posted by Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom | August 2, 2013, 10:10 AM
  9. This guy is disgusting.
    States can and are passing legislation about animal fighting – and those watching them. (may be more efficient and quicker to do that at state level)
    But the public federal lands/habitats are a big concern and people need to speak up at all levels.
    It would help if each federal bill only addressed a single issue (without all the extra ‘stuff stuck in to gain support)- so it would be easier to point out exactly who is voting for or against what issue. Good legislation is being sunk by bad totally unrelated issues stuck in quietly – and those “secrets” clutter up the main issue making it hard to read and keep up with what is happening.
    You can’t blink. He’s not the only problem – just one of the most obnoxious ones

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | August 2, 2013, 10:26 AM
  10. How sad and disturbing that this nutjob wields so much influence. We’re with you in this fight, Rumpy!

Posted by meowmeowmans | August 2, 2013, 10:39 AM
  11. Thank you Rumpy for posting this. I hope more people see and read it. I contacted my state representatives about this last week and urged others to do the same. This, ahem, human, ahem, deserves hisses, growls, and poops. Anyone who isn’t compassionate to animals is no friend of mine.

Posted by kanzensakura | August 2, 2013, 11:10 AM
  12. well I do not like Representative King at all!!

Posted by willowdot21 | August 2, 2013, 2:28 PM
  13. I guess the only thing of importance to him is money!

Posted by Clowie | August 3, 2013, 3:18 AM
  14. I already didn’t like him. Now, well now I despise him. Thank you for this great information.

Posted by Valentine Logar | August 4, 2013, 7:37 AM
  15. I don’t pay much attention to politics or politicians. Few seem truly concerned with what is good for society. If they show concern, it is probably just a show. What most really want is to solicit the support of their party, secure votes from their supporters, get reelected, and feed their ego.

Posted by ILoveDogs | August 4, 2013, 9:35 AM
  16. mummy say he seem’s to be a tool!, I agree with her,xx Speedy

Posted by speedyrabbit | August 4, 2013, 11:34 AM
  17. Seriously? The difference is that people can CONSENT to fighting, animals cannot. This is so elementary it makes me laugh to think people like this get elected.

Posted by trbobitch | August 11, 2016, 8:56 AM