The Best News I Heard All Week!

This week’s good news comes to us from Medina, Ohio, located a half hour west of Akron.

It’s legal to euthanize animals in gas chambers in Ohio, but Medina County voted recently to no longer use such inhumane methods.

cleveland dot com

Photo: John Kuntz, Cleveland Plain Dealer

And when an anonymous donor agreed to make a $10,000 donation to the Medina Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals if their agency would take possession and destroy the gas chamber, the County Commissioners sold it to MSPCA for $1.

MSPCA then held a fundraiser, eliciting donations for a chance to take a whack at the darn thing. Thirty people donated a total of $2500 for a chance to hit the gas chamber with a sledge-hammer. What was left was sold for scrap.

85 woman cleveland

Photo: John Kuntz, Cleveland Plain Dealer

Hooray for Medina County!

28 thoughts on “The Best News I Heard All Week!

1. Hooray! I would have liked to have a good wack at that darn thing!

~ Amy

Posted by hutchagoodlife | March 23, 2014, 6:49 AM
  2. Horray!!!! I was so moved to look at those two pictures and to read the story! Glad they destroied the gas chamber! What a horrible machine that is……

Posted by eripanwkevin | March 23, 2014, 6:51 AM
  3. Barbaric..i would have nuked the damn thing..an abomination hugs Fozziemum xx

Posted by fozziemum | March 23, 2014, 7:18 AM
  4. We agree, that IS great news!
    Bet lots of people had fun taking a whack at that horrid thing!
    Purrs Georgia and Julie,
    Treasure, JJ
    and Angels Tiger and Tillie

Posted by Georgia and Julie | March 23, 2014, 7:32 AM
  5. Wow, awesome! Awesome! What a great story. And a great post as well.

Posted by bitcodavid | March 23, 2014, 8:34 AM
  6. This is great news. And, thank you to the anonymous donor.

Posted by Hi folks. WooWoo | March 23, 2014, 9:53 AM
  7. Disgusting that they even used it. Cheers to Medina County for their humane action. I shutter to think of where they may still may be. And, yes, Max & Bella stepping up and agreeing with you, “we’d like to pee on it!”

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | March 23, 2014, 10:09 AM
  8. Oh good for them!!!! I would have loved to take a few wacks at the thing also!!!
    thanks for sharing!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | March 23, 2014, 10:21 AM
  9. Sorry that we were not there to take a whack at the death machine.

Posted by corkscot | March 23, 2014, 10:44 AM
  10. Gas chamber for anipals is forbidded by PM law!

Posted by Shiva & Jaya | March 23, 2014, 11:37 AM
  11. Absolutely da pawsunest newz we read all week too Rumpy!!!
    Gas chamberz are barbie-arick n me shudderz when me finkz of so many beeuteefull 4 leggedz killed needlessly in such a bad way 😉
    Lub Nylablue n Sherriellen Mum too xoxoxo

Posted by Nylabluesmum | March 23, 2014, 12:03 PM
  12. Now that IS great news – although I was shocked that a machine like that existed and was actually used on quite a few poor animals… what is it with us humans!

Posted by marina kanavaki | March 23, 2014, 2:13 PM
  13. Yay! Awesome! Such fantastic news 🙂

Posted by paws2smile | March 23, 2014, 2:48 PM
  14. You keep hitting awfully close to home lately! I’ve lived very near to Medina, too. At least it’s good news this time.

Posted by heretherebespiders | March 23, 2014, 3:15 PM
  15. How awful that such practice still happens to those poor animals.. I am so happy its now being smashed to pieces.. I hope too the law that allows such a practice is soon smashed as well..
    Wonderful that someone donated to help it stop..
    Sue xox

Posted by Sue Dreamwalker | March 23, 2014, 3:39 PM
  16. Chi Chi the Chihuahua (my adopted brother) would have liked to hike a leg in the general direction of that machine for sure and our person sure would have enjoyed womping it with a hammer or three. Thanks for sharing such good news!

Posted by savedbydogs | March 23, 2014, 3:52 PM
  17. That is such great news; I hadn’t heard that story. Thank you, Rumpy!

Posted by Moxie Reviews™ | March 23, 2014, 6:20 PM
  18. Excellent post and an excellent idea!!!

Posted by prancer pie | March 23, 2014, 6:32 PM
  19. Reblogged this on vedadhorner.

Posted by Veda | March 23, 2014, 7:25 PM
  20. Woohoo! another one bites the dust. We don’t stop till they are all destroyed.

Posted by kanzensakura | March 23, 2014, 10:27 PM
  21. Great news! But it seems like those chambers must be used because they’re cheaper to operate (as horrible as that is). Support your not-for-profit organisations people! (not sure if this particular shelter is not-for-profit

Posted by wilsonthelab | March 24, 2014, 3:10 AM
  22. What a fab idea and brilliant brilliant news!

Posted by 25castleson25clouds | March 25, 2014, 12:24 PM