Jen's thoughts

Choosing My Battles and Moving On

March 11th is Humane Lobby Day in Tallahassee, Florida. It’s an opportunity for ordinary folks like me to talk to my elected officials about my stance on legislation impacting animals.

I’m not going to attend.

Rumpy is the ultimate Peaceful Warrior

Rumpy is the ultimate Peaceful Warrior

I know! I know! If I wasn’t going to go, why did I make such a big stink about how I was treated at the pre-lobby day meeting?

In truth,  if I had not gone to that meeting, I would go to Lobby Day. But I did go to that meeting, and it made me do some serious soul-searching. I’ve decided that not only am I not going to lobby, but I’m letting the whole animal welfare commitment thing go.

See, I started focusing on animal welfare because I believed that people outside the small clique of advocates should be encouraged to get involved. Only then could we truly make things better for animals. But after three years, I now see that this is their territory, so I will leave them to it.

I also think it’s time I started swimming with the current. I have a decent enough following. I’ve written before about changing my focus. I’m ready to do it. Actually, I’ve already started. I’m writing again from the perspective of Rumpy and June Buggie, and I’m focusing on things that affect me personally. I’m ready to broaden my horizons!

So I need your help in designing a new slogan. The “I’m Cute. I’m Funny. And I’m committed to animal welfare,” needs to go. I need something new that grabs you like ear candy. Something that will live on. Got any ideas?

37 thoughts on “Choosing My Battles and Moving On

1. Good luck! Personal photos are usually good, but I’m afraid I haven’t any original suggestions.

Posted by pensitivity101 | March 2, 2015, 6:35 AM
  2. Sounds like a great idea. I don’t have any suggestions for you (I am pre-coffee at this point). You are creative. Give it time and it will come.

Posted by Kate Crimmins | March 2, 2015, 6:43 AM
  3. I shall put my thinking cap on!

Posted by willowdot21 | March 2, 2015, 6:46 AM
  4. I understand. It is very difficult to change anything that involves politics. There is just too much power and money involved. probably the best most of us can do is set a good example for others to follow, then hopefully, they will set a good example and so on… As far as the design, I think a good cartoon drawing of Rumpy would work well. I’m not an artist but there are so many talented, artistic people out there.

Posted by Charles Huss | March 2, 2015, 7:05 AM
  5. I don’t blame you. People – good intention or none – get in the way of what’s best for animals every time. How about “I’m cute. I’m funny. And I’m all about living and letting live.”

Posted by Roy Sexton (Reel Roy Reviews) | March 2, 2015, 7:07 AM
  6. Dog paddling through life? (will try to think of something better. sounds like a good plan. )

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | March 2, 2015, 7:33 AM
  7. Let every dog have his day. Every day.

Posted by PoshPedlar | March 2, 2015, 7:57 AM
  8. omigod….this is absolutely exquisite…I am right there with you….I can so totally relate…(my next break-up involves my humorless, sarcastic, hubby-dubby….he has been just as huge of a pain in the ass as “animal welfare” and he is too in love with his own popularity to take a stance for anything that will either make him look sissy or controversial or not one of the good ole boys…ignore that part about the “spouse” if I’m just having a bad day in a string of bad days? ha!) so I need marital (or martial–ha!) advice as well. I love rumpy’s face whenever I see it! so keep that beauty in the logo! YAY FOR THIS GREAT POST AND ITS TRUTHINESS!

Posted by murphysmission | March 2, 2015, 7:58 AM
  9. I’m the person my dog thinks I am :o) I’m not good with creating catching slogans… :o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | March 2, 2015, 8:15 AM
  10. You’re already carrying so much with your job, it’s emotionally difficult to keep up both ends. I’m sure there will be a particular cause now and then that fires you up.

Posted by Bernadette | March 2, 2015, 8:42 AM
  11. Meant to add–let yourself have some serious fun here! Talking like Rumpy and June Buggie is just as important!

Posted by Bernadette | March 2, 2015, 8:43 AM
  12. Good luck. I look through quotes on whatever subject I need a slogan for. Sometimes, exactly the right one pops up.

Posted by Marilyn Armstrong | March 2, 2015, 9:22 AM
  13. All that matters is that you keep writing. Write about spaghetti and meatballs if you want, but write. I was born with a keyboard in my hands – which makes for some difficulties because it’s hard to type, wearing boxing gloves. Here’s the thing. As a fellow blogger, writer and burgeoning author, I love your work.

Posted by bitcodavid | March 2, 2015, 10:09 AM
  14. ” I’m a Cute and a Fun Loving Husky! ” how about that?the main thing is that you enjoy writing your post and Have fun with it,can’t wait to see more,xx Rachel and Speedy

Posted by speedyrabbit | March 2, 2015, 11:50 AM
  15. We’re cute, Jen’s funny and she’s/(we’ve) got something to say

Posted by bumpyroadtobubba | March 2, 2015, 1:33 PM
  16. Good for you girl! I found almost as soon as I stopped focusing emotion on all that was wrong with natural gas and fracking the more momentum arose from the country to do something about it. My power was almost acting as a cog in the wheel to changes I wanted! There is more power in focusing our energy in what direction we want the flow to go vs doing the salmon thing. How about Rumpy, June B. and Me……..?

Posted by saymber | March 2, 2015, 1:35 PM
  17. The Cookiesaurus and his Cohort.
    Will Blog for Cookies.
    I’m cute, I’m funny and I’m the secret Cookiesaurus.

Posted by Annabelle Essert (@RainbowCatsx8) | March 2, 2015, 6:09 PM
  18. There are lots of great suggestions here! I’m thinking you don’t even need to change the slogan if you don’t want to, because you are “committed to animal welfare” even if you’re taking a different path.

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | March 2, 2015, 8:45 PM
  19. Best wishes with your new venture, Jen. Regardless of where you go with your blog, I hope you never give up your passion for animal welfare. That one group may be too arrogant to recognize your value, but the rest of us do.

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | March 2, 2015, 9:29 PM
  20. Rumpydog – Adventures of a Husky and His Mistress. Although June Buggy might not like being left out. . .

Nancy

Posted by dogear6 | March 2, 2015, 9:58 PM
  21. Best wishes on the pathway to finding peace. Sam & I know you’ll find the perfect moniker that will best describe your merry band of fur and their lives. I too have found there is such soul sucking and exhaustion whenever you’re dealing with pet advocacy and its current state. ❤

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | March 3, 2015, 9:28 AM
  22. “Ruff Times”

Posted by zendictive | March 3, 2015, 5:04 PM
  23. hmmm….’I am a spokesman of four legs, I’m smart, so is my June Buggie! ‘ 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | March 3, 2015, 11:06 PM
  24. It is good that you tried to change something it is a pity that this is always very hard when it comes to politics! Thanks for sharing! Greetings!

Posted by manwithvanbarnes | March 25, 2015, 10:33 AM