Jen's thoughts

What We Call Family

I looked up the definition of family at Merriam-Webster online. There are many definitions, but the first one was: a group of individuals living under one roof and usually under one head

I think that fits the grouping that lives in my home.

True, to others it may seem as a single woman living with her pets, but within the household are individuals who care for and relate to one another.

bffs

Wait! You two aren’t supposed to get along!

So when, on Sunday morning, Junior was limping and would not put weight on his right rear leg, Rumpy and I were both concerned. Rumpy smelled of Junior’s leg to try to determine what was wrong, while I called to see if I could get him in to see a vet that day. As it was, the emergency vet clinic told me their X-ray machine was not working and Banfield (you know I was desperate if I called Banfield) said the best they could offer was for us to come in and sit around in hopes they could work me in. Or I could have driven 80 miles to the next closest emergency vet.

Since I didn’t see or feel any indications of a break, I chose to wait until Monday and see our local vet. I gave JB a pain tab I’d been given for Bubba over a year ago to use when his arthritis flared up, and Monday morning I dropped JB off at the vet.

IMG_5215

I don’t want to go walkies. I want to wait right here for June Buggie to come home!

In the meantime, I tried to get Rumpy’s and my minds off the possibilities of what could be wrong with our evil kitty, but Rumpy refused to walk. He wanted to lay around and wait for JB to come back home. No fair, Dog! I don’t want to worry about what could be wrong and if it could be fixed, and if I could afford to fix it, and what if it’s time to say good-bye? I’m not ready for that! So I took a nap.

And when the vet’s office hadn’t called by 2 pm, I started panicking. Should I call them? Are they waiting until the end of the day to share bad news? What could it be?

As it was, the bad news was Junior showed his ass and scratched up a vet tech. But no break or dislocation. I was told to let him rest and he should be better in a few days. Oh, and give him these pain pills- at your own risk!

IMG_5723

Poor little guy. Old age is not being kind to our Buggie.

I awoke on a cold Tuesday morning to find June Buggie lying on the pillow beside my head, and Rumpy on the floor beside my bed. Buggie is acting like he’s fine today. He has jumped on the counter and begged for coffee creamer. Right now he’s lying beside the laptop while I type this missive. And Rumpy took a nice long walk in the crisp, cool air to celebrate his little buddy being OK.

That is family: we love, comfort, and support each other.

35 thoughts on “What We Call Family

1. >Rumpy you are the bestest big brother ever :o) It’s a superbig gift when we can say: we are family :o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | January 19, 2016, 10:13 AM
  2. Yes, family is the entire unit. When one is ill, no matter pet or human, the household is on edge. So glad that it wasn’t serious. JB not big on pills, huh?

Posted by Kate Crimmins | January 19, 2016, 10:15 AM
  3. Long may it stay so!!

Posted by willowdot21 | January 19, 2016, 10:46 AM
  4. oh dear Jen and Rumpy, my heart was going to stop! I am glad to hear it is fine now. I wish this situation stay long… Love you, nia

Posted by niasunset | January 19, 2016, 10:59 AM
  5. ours is me ,Speedy and Hubby,and its the best little family ever,glad JB is ok,xx Rachel

Posted by speedyrabbit | January 19, 2016, 11:08 AM
  6. The scrapping between the two is simply a cover for their real affection for each other…can’t risk damaging the image/having word get out. HA HA! RC and Molly are pretty much the same way.
    Good luck with the pills – not my specialty. (RC has aged enough to enjoy a fleece sleeve with a pet heating pad inside during cold spells and in chilly rainy days. She’s not leaping as much anymore and that pad from previous ancient cats seems a comfort.)

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | January 19, 2016, 11:16 AM
  7. Good news.JB may have just twisted a little and it worked itself out.

Posted by BJ Pup (Lynda) | January 19, 2016, 11:39 AM
  8. Pets ARE family! Adopted, yes, but family nonetheless!

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | January 19, 2016, 1:35 PM
  9. Love this, and agree 100% Just before I read my emails this morning Love Bug and I were talking about how lucky the four of us are to be each other’s family. X

Posted by bumpyroadtobubba | January 19, 2016, 1:53 PM
  10. I’m so glad he seems to be okay. Sorry it cost so much to find that out. But that’s what we do, right? 🙂 I really love those interspecies relationships, and I agree that one human with a houseful of pets is just as much a loving and concerned family as (and maybe more so than) many all-human families!

Posted by nissetje | January 19, 2016, 1:58 PM
  11. Ditto what mostly everyone else wrote, very glad he seems to be okay and you have your great family to love, support, and comfort each other. ❤

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | January 19, 2016, 2:48 PM
  12. That is for sure family! We worry together and wait together and support each other when the waiting is finished. Get well soon, JB. We’re all pulling for you.

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | January 19, 2016, 5:04 PM
  13. That’s what a family is. It needn’t be made of just the bipeds – it just needs to have members that care for each other, and in that manner of speaking, there are families who aren’t really families. Glad to know that JB is feeling better.

Posted by Anand | January 19, 2016, 7:00 PM
  14. Has Rumpy had much success diagnosing injuries through sniffing in the past?

Posted by The Good Greatsby | January 19, 2016, 8:55 PM
  15. Reblogged this on ravenhawks' magazine and commented:
    Looks Like Family to me

Posted by ravenhawks magazine | January 19, 2016, 10:04 PM
  16. Most definitely you guys are family! Glad to see the kitty is feeling better and thus Rumpy feeling more like himself. ღ

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | January 20, 2016, 10:49 AM
  17. For once, you’ve struck me wordless. Well, maybe one word: Awwwwww.

Posted by somethingwagging | January 22, 2016, 8:16 AM
  18. I totally agree to your definition of family! Oh my dear…poor June Buggie……he still looks so young, his real age is not though….I hope his leg won’t get worse any more….I understand how you felt whil you were waiting for the vet call….Rumpy must have been so worried about his precious brother…..waht a beautiful family you have! 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | January 24, 2016, 9:39 AM