mental health

Sweatpants Yoga for Oldsters Like Me

So I started doing yoga.

I know, right? I thought yoga was only for young rich white people who wanted to look cool too.

Turns out yoga is for everybody, including old, fat people like me.

My counselor suggested I give it a try as a means of dealing with stress.

So I found a web site with some suggested poses for folks like me, and gave it a try.

And ya know what? This is some good stuff!

ab3d736cf1ac0826207674294dc13931

This also looks good for someone like me.

Those pains I’ve been feeling in my muscles and joints? They are lessening. And I’m finding I need less coffee to get up and go. Which is good, because I learned coffee is not my friend. Coffee is a drug I use to encourage a drop of cortisol, an adrenaline hormone, to get me through the day.

The cortisol is probably responsible for my not sleeping well at night and my craving fat and sugar.

But I’ll get to that later. For now I’m using some simple yoga moves to help my body feel relaxed and counteract that cortisol. I’m also using deep breathing to help.

No yoga pants, yet, but I will keep you posted on how these new activities help my stress level this week at work.

10 Yoga Exercises for Seniors (these are the yoga stretches I’m doing now).

Breathe2Relax is a free app you can download on your android or iphone and use throughout the day. My counselor suggested I use it in the morning when I wake, at night when I go to sleep, and several times throughout the day, especially when I feel stressed. It’s easy to use and takes about 5 minutes tops to run through.

lg-icon-b2r_3

29 thoughts on “Sweatpants Yoga for Oldsters Like Me

1. I remember Jack Lalane doing this chair stuff many decades ago. I am very good at sitting in a chair with a book.

Posted by Carl D'Agostino | February 6, 2016, 7:17 AM
  2. I’ve been practicing power yoga for about 15 years and I will agree that any form of yoga truly does make your mind and body feel better. Keep going, the benefits increase with time.

Posted by bikerchick57 | February 6, 2016, 8:22 AM
  3. I’m glad you shared about this! I always figured I’d have to take some class (I hate classes) to learn yoga, and you know, wear yoga pants….I’d rather not….sweatpants are much better (they hide those annoying bulges better). For some reason it just never occurred to me to try it at home where no one can watch me. 🙂

Posted by Jan K | February 6, 2016, 8:48 AM
  4. I used to love yoga – but I always did it in a class, and I was in MUCH better shape.

I think this is a great thing for me to try because its doable on the days when leaving the house for a walk is either not inviting because of weather or not happening because of Sara (me.).

Thanks!

Posted by itsathought2 | February 6, 2016, 9:14 AM
  5. I’ve always wanted to take a yoga class. I do some poses occasionally. But learning over a book while bending is not conducive to relaxation. 🙂

Besides millions of stretchy cats and dogs can’t be wrong.

Posted by somethingwagging | February 6, 2016, 9:25 AM
  6. I’ve been trying yoga too, but I’m not for enough for a real workout. I’ll take a look. Thanks.

Posted by KDKH | February 6, 2016, 11:24 AM
  7. I do yoga every day and go to a class every week and I still feel like crap. I dread to think how much worse I’d feel if I didn’t do it.

Posted by annabellefranklinauthor | February 6, 2016, 11:43 AM
  8. Great, thank you, this is just what I need now, my back is very worn.

Posted by Rantasalot | February 6, 2016, 11:44 AM
  9. Reblogged this on ravenhawks' magazine and commented:
    I believe this is just what I need. I don’t really have a schedule that would allow for yoga classes as the distance I would need to go to find a studio is over 20 miles.

Posted by ravenhawks magazine | February 6, 2016, 12:18 PM
  10. Yoga is excellent as is Pilates but classes are always better as you have a tutor to correct you moves and posture!

Posted by willowdot21 | February 6, 2016, 12:56 PM
  11. So fun! What a great positive step to take. I have done yoga, but my RA decided it was time to stop that. Now, I do guided meditation – less physical, but accomplishes the mental part. I use an app called calm.com

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | February 6, 2016, 4:35 PM
  12. Yoga has so many benefits. (Started doing it off and on many years ago) The chair yoga moves are a great idea! I have a niece that teacher yoga to senior citizens. If you get interested, do try to find a qualified instructor as people can hurt themselves if they aren’t careful/not taught properly. ONce you’ve had someone watch and give you pointers/corrections, then you can use video/tv to keep going at home.

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | February 6, 2016, 4:38 PM
    • I am not going to a class. I hate the judgementalism of other participants.

Posted by rumpydog | February 6, 2016, 5:31 PM
      • Sounds like a real unpleasant bunch. May be worse now that yoga is trendy and popular. And featured in glossy gyms (some really bad classes out there charging waaaay too much)
        Used to be just the eccentrics and independents – not much snottiness then. Guess I lucked out each time to find smaller less than serious and very congenial groups. Now it’s just easier for me exercise at home on my own schedule (without the expensive showy outfits – those people there for a whole different purpose).

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | February 7, 2016, 11:56 AM
  13. Hmmm….I used to go to Hot Yoga school when it was popular in Japan, because I wanted to get rid of my stress…but the heat and humid of the room was too much to do Yoga, so I stopped going…..Besides, going to school gave me more stress like “I have to take lesseons regularly”……However, some of my friends tell me Yoga is really great to be on meditation, so after reading your post, I feel like I would love to try it again! Of course, not Hot Yoga….normal Yoga! 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | February 7, 2016, 3:24 AM
  14. Good for you! Keep calm and yoga on. You’ll love it and what it does for your body and mind. ღ

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | February 7, 2016, 9:40 AM
  15. That’s so cool, Jen! I’m glad you’re enjoying the benefits of doing yoga, and feeling better. 🙂

Posted by meowmeowmans | February 7, 2016, 10:19 PM