dogs, pets

Yes, My Dog is Stubborn

OK, Rumpy time for a walk!

IMG_5960

Yay! Let’s go!

He’s so excited! So on goes the harness and leash. Poop bags? Check. Cookies in my pocket? Check. Keys, phone, glasses? Check. Check. And Check.

We’re out the door, door checked that it’s locked. Down the steps. Rumpy pees and……

He wants to go back inside.

IMG_5909

I’m ready to go back in please.

I beg. I cajole. I offer cookies. But no, he’s not going for a walk this morning.

Welcome to my life.

This does not happen often, but sometimes it does. Just like sometimes Rumpy refuses to eat breakfast. And while he’s never turned down a cookie, there have been a few times he buried them instead of eat them.

If it’s not a work day, I’ll try again a bit later to see if he’ll want to walk, but if he doesn’t want to go, we’re not going.

IMG_5947

No, I’m going to continue to sit right here. You can go walk by yourself.

Some of you may have a much better handle of this human/dog relationship, and never have to deal with your dog’s stubbornness.

For me, the relationship is one of give and take, and this morning is one of those days he’s giving it to me.

That’s OK though. Today is my birthday, so there will still be cookies.

IMG_5935

Did someone say cookies?

67 thoughts on “Yes, My Dog is Stubborn

1. No walk?? I hope you’re feeling ok Rumpy.. my dog is so stubborn, last night when I threw a tennis ball to him, he watched it until it hit him right in the snout, then he watched it fall to the ground & he looked at me like “why did you throw THAT ball?…. I wanted the pink tennis ball”.. Geez.. stubborn dog.

Posted by PhotoJacko | April 14, 2016, 8:50 AM
  2. Birthday and cookies, sounds like a good day to me!

Posted by Three Chatty Cats | April 14, 2016, 8:59 AM
  3. Maggie’s is the last wee thing. Got to sniff the flowers. Got to sniff the grass….. every solitary blade. Got to investigate the flower beds, oh look, more flowers.
    There I am saying ‘Maggie wee, good girl, wee wees for Mummy’, like some blithering idiot, and does she perform? Eventually. sigh.

Posted by pensitivity101 | April 14, 2016, 9:08 AM
  4. Maybe Rumpy is just tired and wants to sleep one hour more, like humans do sometimes.

Posted by Rantasalot | April 14, 2016, 9:15 AM
  5. That’s hilarious.

Posted by Lynn Thaler | April 14, 2016, 9:22 AM
  6. Look at the nice clump of fur…perfect for Trumping your dog!

Posted by FACE Foundation | April 14, 2016, 9:28 AM
  7. Happy birthday!

Posted by walksoftly | April 14, 2016, 9:33 AM
  8. Happy birthday!!

Pets hey, who would have them., It appears they never tire of finding new ways to push us to the end of the tether. This morning Poppy decided pretending to choke on some hay was a fun way to spend 10 minutes.. little madam!

Posted by 25castleson25clouds (@25cson25cs) | April 14, 2016, 9:40 AM
  9. Hahaha maybe he’s part bunny there is nothing more stubborn than a bunny! xx Rachel

Posted by speedyrabbit | April 14, 2016, 9:48 AM
  10. Our Bella is a cousin to Rumpy. Except when she wants something, like food!

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | April 14, 2016, 10:45 AM
  11. We once had a 70 pound Old English Sheepdog who would do this. That is why I have had little dogs since then.

Posted by Jan | April 14, 2016, 10:50 AM
  12. Happy birthday! 🐾

Posted by captaingreyhound | April 14, 2016, 12:10 PM
  13. Happy birthday! 🙂 I have a bulldog, I know ALL about stubbornness. Lol!

Posted by paws2smile | April 14, 2016, 12:44 PM
  14. Happy Birthday:) I can relate to the stubborn dog my husky/malamute mix does not go out in the rain but if it is snowing buckets he wants out we walk an walk then frozen wet mommy wants to go home he plops down in the yard and refuse to move. I know he loves the snow I like it to but only when I am indoors. So we begin the coaxing him in with promises of biscuits and pieces of chicken, Yep I can relate to stubborn

Posted by ravenhawks magazine | April 14, 2016, 2:33 PM
  15. Happy Birthday! Love to you all, Thank you, nia

Posted by niasunset | April 14, 2016, 2:57 PM
  16. Sounds like Mac! He won’t do anything he really doesn’t want to do. And I can’t make him. BTW, Happy Birthday!

Posted by bigdogmom2013 | April 14, 2016, 3:16 PM
  17. Happy birthday! I remember Cinnamon could be a little stubborn once in a while, but cookies usually worked. I think her stubbornness might have gotten a little worse as she got older.

Posted by jowensauthor | April 14, 2016, 4:49 PM
  18. Happy Birthday! Try walking a cat. 😉

Posted by The Island Cats | April 14, 2016, 6:03 PM
  19. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Posted by corkscot | April 14, 2016, 7:16 PM
  20. Oh, yay! Happy birthday! I hope there are cookies AND cake! I am stubborn like Rumpy a lot. When Mom wants to walk and get some steps in on her AppleWatch, I usually flop down in the middle of the street for a street nap. She stands there and stands there, and sometimes has to drag me into the gutter if a car comes. Eventually, I get hot or bored and start moving again.

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | April 14, 2016, 9:16 PM
  21. Dakota does that too… he’ll go up to three days w/o eating… But a walk… now that he doesn’t pass up any more – he’s discovered a Golden down the street… now at the age of 10, he’s got puppy love. It’s funny to watch him prance past her house, tail up, head up, quickly glancing over “is she watching? is she watching?”

Happy Birthday!

Posted by TechGnome | April 14, 2016, 9:18 PM
  22. Happy Birthday! Hope Rumpy helped you celebrate later 😀

Posted by Animalcouriers | April 15, 2016, 4:27 AM
  23. My dog has days like that, but mostly when it rains. Even if it isn’t raining at the moment, if the sidewalk is wet, all he wants to do is go back inside. Happy birthday!!

Posted by Andrea Kenner | April 15, 2016, 4:53 AM
    • It was wet outside yesterday but wasn’t raining when we were about to go walk. Maybe he sensed it was going to start soon. Who knows with him. But today we went for a nice long walk and all was well. Thank you!

Posted by rumpydog | April 15, 2016, 9:23 AM
  24. Not surprising, since some days I feel the same way so why shouldn’t the dog? 😉
    ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆♪ღ♪* Happy★Birthday to you★♪ღ♪ Hope it’s grand and there are loads of cookies. ღ

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | April 15, 2016, 8:05 AM
  25. Happy Belated Birthday Jen! Hmmm…. Rumpy sometimes refuses to eat breakfast….? Oh no! Please be careful Rumpy! June Buggie might steal your meal!!!!

Posted by eripanwkevin | April 15, 2016, 10:01 AM
  26. Chelsea is stubborn too; it’s part of her charm.

Posted by The Hook | April 15, 2016, 1:44 PM
  27. McKinley will not walk in the rain. In fact, she will try to hold it all day if necessary. I have to drag her 12 pounds of “No! Just – no!” outside in a raincoat and force her to stay out in the rain until she goes.

Posted by anotherboomerblog | April 15, 2016, 5:25 PM
  28. When you are not in the mood for a walk, ya don’t go… Me I have me fake limp which works a treat on me Humans on those occasions. Some days are just not walk days, no reason needed…

R

Posted by Ralph | April 16, 2016, 12:04 PM
  29. Hahaha, that’s one stubborn dogs!
    But a very cute one!!

Love xx

Posted by Valerie Desmet | April 19, 2016, 3:57 AM
  30. Rumpy is of the Clan of the Curly Tail. They are so different in temperament and personality than other dogs. Clowns, sweet, but so stubborn. We’ve really had to switch gears and expectations with Molly. While she loves walks, there have been days – lovely nice days of not too hot weather – when she just locks up and says,”No go”
    Ours is not to reason why….
    Happy Mirthday! and lots of paw waves!

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | April 19, 2016, 4:10 PM
  31. Stubborn dogs can be the best! Bob is so stubbron its unbelievable he just looks at me like sheesh you know I wont do that why are yo0u asking

Posted by retro rover | April 20, 2016, 10:03 AM
  32. Ha! Just to get our girl to go out into the back yard when it is raining is an excercise in stubborn.
    “Yes you DO need to pee, trust me, it’s been 8 hours! Go, go, gwan, gooooooo.”
    “Are you really sure you didn’t need to poo, too?”
    Walkies are always welcome, however. Maybe because it never gets hot here?

Posted by heretherebespiders | April 22, 2016, 3:27 PM
  33. Talk about stubburn, my 10 week old (hand raised) boerboel pup, wil olny seem to know her name when she feels like it. I still have hope for the future.

Posted by Lily White | July 14, 2016, 5:44 AM
  34. Thought my dog was the only one like that. Very excited until the leach goes on. Then he backs out and wants nothing of it. It thought they all like to go for walks…should be a given…apparently not hey. However, it does get easier.

Posted by Martin Liebenberg | August 23, 2016, 9:34 AM

‪I'm eatin so good! Jen says she is as happy as a pig in slop!!! Now maybe I can gain some weight. ‬#eldercat #gingercat #cat #cats #catsofinstagram #cats_of_instagram #catstagram