Dinner for One

Last night I cooked dinner for myself.

img_7493

This is spicy spaghetti squash with black beans and sweet potatoes with apples

For some, cooking is a necessity. If they don’t cook, the family does not eat. For others, it’s a thing they do because they always have, or somebody has to do it and they do a pretty darn good job of it.

In this age of fast food, ready-to-eat food and restaurants on every corner, a person such as I really does not have to cook unless I choose to.

As I stirred the black beans and corn into the skillet sizzling with peppers and onions, I thought about my choosing to do this thing for myself, and it occurred to me: Cooking for me is an act of self-love.

img_7405

Battered and fried tofu- and yes, it tasted remarkably like chicken nuggets (after all chicken nuggets aren’t real chicken either)

I didn’t have to cook. I have prefab vegan meat-like thingies in the freezer. I could pop the top on a can of soup.

But I want to eat healthier. One of my resolutions for the new year is to move my diet away from the processed and to eat more home-cooked foods. That means planing menus and shopping. It means setting aside time on the weekend to cook as well as in the evening. It means prepping the crock pot in the morning before I head out to work.

img_7464

cauliflower with a vegan cheese sauce made from beans

None of this will happen if I don’t love myself. As a woman, especially as a woman of a certain size, I’m constantly bombarded with the message that I’m not good enough. So to counter-act all the outside noise with loving gestures such as feeding myself good food is one more way I tell the outside world to piss off! I AM TOO worthy of my love and loving care.

Yes, all of this food is vegan. That’s another thing I do for myself. I decided to go back to a vegan diet to lower my cholesterol, and a plant-based diet along with increased physical activity is the best way for me to make that happen.

What are you doing different this year to take care of you?

38 thoughts on “Dinner for One

1. what was the vegan cheese sauce like? i’ve tried a few recipes but don’t end up very well…

Posted by Thalia | January 12, 2017, 4:53 AM
  2. Cutting out a lot of comfort foods and looking into Yoga and meditation..me time…all about me 😁

Posted by Fozziemum | January 12, 2017, 5:47 AM
  3. Would love your recipe. I need to cook more too.

Posted by clingycat | January 12, 2017, 5:56 AM
  4. The tofu looks so delicious x

Posted by ananxiousmum101 | January 12, 2017, 6:28 AM
    • It is good and quite easy to prepare. Drain and pat dry the tofu. Cut I to squares and season to taste. Dredge through a mixture of flour, salt, pepper and paprika then allow to sit I. Flour 5 minutes. Dredge a second time and drop in skillet of heated vegetable oil. Stir often for even browning.

Posted by rumpydog | January 12, 2017, 7:12 AM
  5. So, I’m big on the cooking for 1! But sometimes I like to cook like a Nona……and freeze the leftovers & gift some also. But I confess I’m a meat eater so you won’t be thrilled to hear I made Brinner for Dinner tonight. That’s Breakfast for Dinner! 😔

Posted by helentastic67 | January 12, 2017, 7:14 AM
  6. I’m also trying to be more mindful of food by cooking more and keeping track of what I eat. I’m keeping a food journal and tracking more health statistics.

Posted by The Good Greatsby | January 12, 2017, 7:55 AM
  7. By necessity we’re adjusting our meals to healthier. We bought a spagetti squash yesterday and that black bean spaghetti squash meal looks so good. So does the cauliflower dish. This gives me some good ideas for this end. Thanks.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | January 12, 2017, 9:09 AM
  8. “Cooking is an act of self-love”, yes, yes, yes! I love this concept! It’s easy to buy takeaways but you’re valuing yourself by cooking. 👍

Posted by alimklemme | January 12, 2017, 2:00 PM
  9. I’ve given some serious thought to the vegan lifestyle and finally realized I just couldn’t do it. There aren’t too many vegetables I like. And there are only 3 I like both raw and cooked: broccoli, mushrooms and potatoes. I guess mushrooms count as a vegetable, right? I would’ve included spinach, but I’ve lost my taste for that.

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | January 12, 2017, 3:06 PM
  10. Spaghetti squash just doesn’t do it for me, Jen. Maybe if I think of it as squash and not spaghetti… 😉 xoM

Posted by Margarita | January 12, 2017, 6:20 PM
  11. If you want a really quick dish how about vegan chili? I don’t usually use canned food, but this is made of canned food. 1 can of pumpkin, 1 can of white beans, and 1 can of a spicy tomato product. Heat in a pot. Season to taste. It is really good.

Posted by corkscot | January 12, 2017, 6:31 PM
  12. All looks fabulous! What time is dinner, again? If you have a recipe for that vegan cheese sauce, I’d be super grateful for the share. 😇

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | January 13, 2017, 12:10 PM
  13. Cooking for one definitely means taking time for oneself. For me eating better means eating less late in the evening.

Posted by Donald McKenzie | January 16, 2017, 12:20 PM
  14. Nice one…Try reading.my post too

Posted by vaikavi | January 20, 2017, 9:57 AM
  15. I am glad we are able to share our path with each other. Vegan recipes are a great treasure. Check our what I do to improve my health on my site. I am happy to share the story with everyone. Check my slow-simmered squash soup recipe. The best dinner for the family! Namaste.

Posted by mindfulbreathsite | April 7, 2017, 1:57 PM