mental health

Walking Toward the Light

When wading hip-deep through the Swamp of Depression, I thought I was just hurting on the inside. Now that I’m exiting the swamp, I can see a panoramic view of my depression.

This morning I saw a photo of me during a recent volunteer activity for a political candidate, and I saw my physical size honestly for the first time in a long time. I knew I’d gained weight, but I didn’t realize how I looked. I’ve always wondered how I could look in a mirror and see what I want to see, but not in a photograph. Easy to stop that reality from sneaking in: no photographs.

Little Girl

My recovery from depression has much to do with changing behavior patterns. I go shopping to buy food and choose foods that I think I will enjoy consuming when I buy it, but the next day it doesn’t sound appealing. Then I realize this was another of my soothing, feel good food choices. Also my tastes in food have changed with my medication.

As I was driving yesterday I found myself cussing about the slowpoke drivers clogging up the left lane, and I stopped and reminded myself that slow drivers are not the enemy, despite my having thought of them as such. Many of those I have directed my anger toward in my adulthood were not the people I was truly angry at anyway. I was actually angry at those adults who didn’t protect me as a child.

img_0909

Hissy Fit Jones

I told my therapist during my last visit that I didn’t care about glory. Instead I am content to work behind the scenes and let some other, more charismatic face enjoy the limelight. But I have since realized that is not true. I’m used to being invisible and ignored, or having others take credit for my work. I didn’t think I was worthy of recognition. But my fantasies have always been of me finally getting the credit I was due, even if I did have to go above and beyond. If recognition is what I truly want, I have to find places where I will be valued, and not taken advantage of.

The beauty of therapy is there is someone who believes me, and encourages me to own my truth.  I can tell my story to with no judgement or pity, and learn to live comfortably in my skin.

img_0908

Yella Fella

Medication helps too. I was out and about yesterday and was amazed at how I am now able to enjoy looking at the clouds hanging low in the sky, the flowers in bloom, and the birds grabbing a bite to eat before the heat of the day.

Cats also help. Yesterday morning Hissy Fit Jones gave me some licks on the side of my arm. That doesn’t often happen. Graybie Baby and I are sitting together as I write this post. We are all close and they are so generous with their affection. They always have given generously, but I have not always been in a space to be so accepting. Today I am, and I am grateful.

img_0912

Graybie Baby

The journey continues.

18 thoughts on “Walking Toward the Light

1. My husband also sees slow drivers as “the enemy.” I find them annoying, but they infuriate him at a level way beyond mine. I suspect he was another child who was never protected and who had to learn to protect himself in a world that didn’t much like him. He found his way into TV, got notoriety and praise and even a little bit of fame — and he is still depressive and insecure. Mind you, he is very fond of all of his awards and still loves being “recognized,” but the bottom line insecurity is still there as is the depression. At least he is no longer self-medicating with booze.

Posted by Marilyn Armstrong | June 25, 2018, 9:38 AM
  2. Thank you for your lovely post! We are so glad you are enjoying life’s daily moments!

Posted by SYLVIA E ROGERS | June 25, 2018, 10:26 AM
  3. Glad to hear the medication is helping and you’re enjoying things. Without getting into my situation, trust me, I understand.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | June 25, 2018, 12:18 PM
  4. I also can speak to the value of “kitty therapy” when coping with depression. It’s also good to have that other person who will listen to you without judgment.
    Oh, and I love your cats’ names! ❤️🐱

Posted by justdrivewillyou | June 25, 2018, 2:10 PM
  5. Speaking from experience – the kitties are a good reason to get up every morning. Keep on keeping on.

Posted by catladymac | June 25, 2018, 2:15 PM
  6. I am glad you are getting some relief through meds, therapy and kitties.

Posted by 15andmeowing | June 25, 2018, 4:59 PM
  7. We would all feel better if we didn’t have a demented idiot running the country

Posted by corkscot | June 25, 2018, 7:24 PM
  8. Thst is the beauty of cats. Even on our darkest day all they have for us is unconditional love. Chin up luv. Cheers,H

Posted by helentastic67 | June 26, 2018, 1:01 AM
  9. This is a beautiful and encouraging post, Jen. I’m glad the medication, therapy, and cats are helping you be able to see some of the good things that are around you.

Posted by meowmeowmans | June 26, 2018, 8:57 PM
  10. I’m glad you’re making it out of darkness. I can appreciate the winding journey through self-awareness and comfort with yourself; it sounds wonderful!

Posted by KDKH | June 27, 2018, 3:35 PM
  11. Good luck to you Hun you can do this 💜

Posted by willowdot21 | June 28, 2018, 9:55 AM
  12. Glad to hear happiness is creeping back in with little kitty paws! Love those kits but mine always needs puppy paws. In pursuit now! Enjoy.

Posted by Becky | June 28, 2018, 4:03 PM
  13. love love love!!!!

Posted by murphysmission | July 3, 2018, 5:30 AM

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w