Accept What Is, and Live Anyway

Women have very little idea of how much men hate them. Germaine Greer (The Female Eunuch)

One of the many hurts I’ve experienced since the presidential election is the sad reality that so many Americans hate competent women. Yes, hate. They don’t just dislike women. They despise women with a backbone who speak their mind, especially when they do so against ideals of male superiority.

I should have known that. After all, I’ve experienced that myself. But I’d passed it off as a redneck, fundamentalist religion thing that pervades the Southeast. But, no, men AND women all over hate on women. They hate me.

It’s a freeing concept. I thought it was me that brought it on myself. If only I acted dumb or kept my mouth shut I’d fit in better. Maybe if I baked some cookies… But it’s not just me. You don’t like women. Now I know it doesn’t matter what I do. I’ll never be liked. I can play the role of good woman and fit in, but where’s the fun in that?

8e68a9c76f23a7f376183a03941ce45e

from a 2012 article on Maxim of how to “cure a feminist.”

I’ve been watching people. Take yesterday, for instance. A casual conversation within our work group. The male director tried to impress us all with his knowledge. The male middle manager sat beside him and kissed his ass, and these two together practically dominated the conversation.

The conversation during a morning meeting of all women consisted of who’s cooking for Thanksgiving.

Yesterday afternoon during a conversation with a co-worker, she mentioned that if she had a husband she’d do this and this and this…. I asked her why she had to have a husband to do it. She then proceeded to tell me how she wanted to be a kept woman. He works while she stays home and tends to the home.

And another co-worker asked why I had so many creepy men in my life, like I was doing something to attract them. I should have reminded her that she probably does too, but it’s so common she’s closed her eyes to it.

What does all that have to do with anything? Well, it has to do with the fact that the men thought they were smart and deserved to be heard, while the women talked about subservience to men.

I have the audacity to believe I am not inferior to any man. I also happen to think I’m smarter than a lot of them out there. What? No she didn’t just say she’s better than a man at something! Trump that bitch! Throw her ass in jail with Hillary!

surfing

from themindfulword.org

Oh piss off already. I accept that I will be kept down because of my gender and beliefs. It used to make me mad. Now I just write you off as not worth my time and refuse to allow you to take away my peace of mind.

So while women clean and cook and shop and men sit on their asses watching football, I’m going to go hiking. Hate on me all you want.

14 thoughts on “Accept What Is, and Live Anyway

1. I sometimes think that some man never left the caves of neandervalley… Like the doofus who honored my freestyle parking with writing BACK TO THE KITCHEN on my dusty rear window…

Posted by easyweimaraner | November 22, 2016, 7:01 AM
  2. We all wish we were there to go hiking with you! Of course, it would be like herding cats! We’ll bring love, loud purring and a sweet potato pie! ^..^<

Posted by Annabelle Essert (@RainbowCatsx8) | November 22, 2016, 2:12 PM
  3. Don’t put me in the same category as the Neanderthals you’ve encountered! I can view any woman as an equal, as long as she demonstrates capability and respect. I never cared much for Hillary Clinton because I never felt she could connect with people. Despite her lengthy and impressive record of working for families and children (which often really means working for adult females), she has more baggage than a Samsonite warehouse. I voted for Jill Stein, even though I knew she had a slim chance of even getting near the White House. I like Nancy Pelosi and Wendy Davis also and I absolutely loved Ann Richards. But I don’t care for Barbara Boxer and couldn’t stand either Nancy Reagan or Barbara Bush.

I’ve confronted women who think their gender gives them the right to say or do whatever they want to me. When I talk back, some drop into a Princess Barbie caricature. Women shouldn’t demand to be treated as equals to men in business and politics and still expect to be placed in the same category as infants and children when it comes to their health and welfare. Back in the 1970s, Richard Farrell (the only man to attain an executive position within the National Organization for Women) rightfully pointed out that economic and social freedom for women would benefit men, too. Ann Richards pretty much reiterated the same several years later in a speech some conservatives twisted around to make it mean she was anti-male and anti-family. It’s a proven fact that societies where women have equal opportunities are more productive and have higher standards of living.

I try to look at the individual and take into account their personalities and individual qualifications. Anyone who brings race or gender into a discussion has already lost the debate.

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | November 22, 2016, 4:32 PM
  4. Happy Thanksgiving, Jen! Enjoy the hike. I’m going to sit on my ass and enjoy an easy day. 😉 xoM

Posted by Margarita | November 22, 2016, 5:50 PM
  5. I hear ya. My husband’s family are quite male chauvenist and ironically the people they rave about are successful women of the family. But those womenareclever they marry non chauvenists and that helps them be successful. Kudos to independent types. My sister is one of them.

Posted by Catherine Johnson | November 22, 2016, 6:43 PM
  6. To paraphrase what someone famous (actually it was Wittgenstein) once said, a desire to generalise manifests our contempt for the particular.

Posted by mrpipponders | November 23, 2016, 11:17 AM
  7. I’m going hiking too, then I’m going to make tacos. 🙂

Posted by Kate | November 23, 2016, 2:19 PM
  8. Nice Share and Nice Post ..
    ❤ ❤ LOVE it ❤ ❤
    Come and visit my blog ..

Thanks u

Posted by KLIKQQ | November 27, 2016, 12:26 AM

RumpyDog Fan Club!

We got a #tulip! I helped water it! #dog #dogs #dogwisdom #dogstagram #dogsofinstagram #dogsofinsta #spring