cats, pets

The Bubba Saga Continues…

The Bubba Saga continues.

Taking care of Bubba is a full-time job. Fortunately I have been doing a lot of working from home lately so I could be here to take care of him.

There was a flea issue. I had applied Revolution to each cat. But the vet found fleas on Bubba two weeks out from his most recent dose, so now each cat wears a Seresto collar, and even after that there were fleas, so I gave each a dose of Capstar . I’m also treating the house by vacuuming, rubbing diatomaceous earth in the upholstery and sprinkling it in the carpet. This seems to be working, but I still found a flea on Yella Thursday and one on Bubba today so more Capstar will be administered.

A one week follow-up visit after Bubba’s dental surgery found he was healing up. But we were back at the vet yesterday  and the vet noticed a lesion in his mouth. We’re gonna give it a couple weeks to heal on its own, but if it doesn’t, she’ll have to do another surgery to fix it. The thought of two surgeries back to back frightens me. And I can’t help but think that after all the work he and I have put into getting him healthy, this doing him in would be so horrible.

I talked to the vet about Bubba’s hiding behavior and why I believe it’s related to his arthritis. I decided to try Adequan again to see if it helps. I’m giving Bubba a shot every 4 days for 8 doses followed by one dose every 3-4 weeks. We’re 4 doses out and he’s already shown signs of feeling better. He’s not hiding or shrinking in fear from the other cats.

Then there’s the issue of his eating. I’ve tried a variety of foods but the only thing he wants to eat is tuna. I’ve given him cat food first whenever I fed him, and he’d eat a minimal amount, but soon he was back meowing at me to eat. I’d try the cat food again and he’d refuse to eat it, but if I gave him the tuna he’d gobble it up. He’ll eat a whole can in the span of one day.

That’s why were were back at the vet yesterday. He has to eat, so I don’t want to not feed him tuna, but tuna isn’t the best nutritional choice for a cat. The vet suggested I try mixing tuna in cat food, and if that doesn’t work, give him the tuna. She agreed with me that his eating tuna was better than his not eating at all. So far today he’s eaten more tuna than cat food, but at least he’s eating some cat food.

The other cats are doing ok, for the most part. The gang and I have a new nighttime ritual where they each find a spot near me and lie with me until I go to sleep. It’s comforting and relaxing. I feel we are each becoming closer as my time is divided between fewer furry family members.

As for me, I am feeling forlorn. My job search is going nowhere. Working two jobs makes a body real tired real fast. I’m looking around to move to a place where the rent is lower, but the thought of moving right now is daunting. It’s also not easy because apparently this is an area where corporate rental agencies bought up a shitload of houses, resulting in a huge increase in rental rates. But I need to live in a cheaper place so move I must, even if it means moving to a different town. I’m thinking of moving back to Murfreesboro. It’s a college town so I can find a cheaper place, and there’s plenty of places to apply for a part-time job, even though I will compete with younger candidates.

48 thoughts on “The Bubba Saga Continues…

1. *hugs* Fleas are a bear to get rid of. Do your cats go out? Fortunately I haven’t had an issue in a couple of years but I remember the Capstar, vacuuming, drops, etc. That’s when I found out that Frontline Plus wasn’t cutting it with our local fleas. I’ve had better luck with Advantage. Wishing you all the best.

Posted by Kate Crimmins | August 12, 2017, 4:11 PM
    • My cats don’t go out, which makes it all the more frustrating. Seresto is a more recent product but it doesn’t kill eggs so it’ll be a process. I’m avoiding chemicals because of Bubba but if this continues I may resort to it.

Posted by rumpydog | August 12, 2017, 4:24 PM
      • Wow. They somehow get in the house. My cats go into a screened porch but so far I’ve been lucky. I had an infestation when Jake, my indoor-outdoor cat was alive. He brought them in along with ticks even though he regularly got the drops. One of cats doesn’t do well with the drops so I’ve not used them this summer so far. Fleas are very annoying to get rid of. Capstar was a miracle.

Posted by Kate Crimmins | August 12, 2017, 6:52 PM
      • I don’t know if it’s me bringing them in or if they come in from the porch (the local squirrels have been seen hanging out there). I’m treating the area outside around the door too, just in case.

Posted by rumpydog | August 12, 2017, 7:36 PM
  2. You make me eternally grateful that we live somewhere without fleas. The rent increases are happening here, too, though. I’m sorry things look so grim.😔

Posted by KDKH | August 12, 2017, 4:19 PM
  3. “But not today. Today is the first day I’ve had the whole day off in over a month, and I’m enjoying doing nothing. No mowing. No cleaning. I’m lying in bed with my babies and playing computer games.” There you go! Sorry about Bubba and the job search. Love to you all.

Posted by Roy Sexton (Reel Roy Reviews) | August 12, 2017, 4:23 PM
  4. Enjoy your day off. It will feed your soul for the hard work ahead.

Posted by Bernadette | August 12, 2017, 4:28 PM
  5. Good for tough old Bubba ! And for your other furkids knowing when you need to rest and be cuddled,

Posted by Mary McNeil | August 12, 2017, 4:29 PM
  6. I sure hope Bubba doesn’t need that second surgery. We’ve a flea problem this end as well and our Bella has what appears an allergy to them. Hard to handle and already been to the vet four times. Good luck with everything your end.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | August 12, 2017, 4:34 PM
  7. We have bad flea problems here in Auburn, AL because there are many pets in our apartment building and the cats never go out. We use the new flea collar too and it has really helped Dennis because has a terrible flea allergy.

Posted by Sylvia Rogers | August 12, 2017, 4:44 PM
  8. Here is something you might try! I give it to my cats when they are sick or just need some extra nutritional support. GNC Ultra Mega High Calorie Booster. PetSmart sells it or you can go online. I don’t know if the GNC stores carry it, but you can always give them a call. It comes in a tube and it’s chicken flavored. I put in on my finger and get it into their mouths if they won’t lick it off my finger. You can also try a product called Bounce Back. It is a multi-species electrolyte supplement that you mix with water and use an large baby eye dropper. It’s usually sold where all the baby food is sold in your grocery story. If you can keep the others from drinking it, you can just add it to their water bowl. Another suggestion that I have tried is a product call Only Natural Pet B.S.S.T. If you go to their website, you will find all kinds of herbal remedies for everything under the sun for your critters. I hope this helps.

Posted by suzydstristan | August 12, 2017, 5:33 PM
  9. Back again. We’ve had excessive flea problems here too which the vet says is because of an early spring with not enough cold weather to kill them off. We’ve recently tried Advantage II and so far the problem on the dogs had been taken care of. Also, a product called Cedercide for Biting insects works really well. You can spray in right on your pets with no problem. Just be careful around the face. I also spray it on my carpet, furniture, etc. If you like the smell of cedar, you will like this. Hope this helps.

Posted by suzydstristan | August 12, 2017, 5:37 PM
  10. Just a warning about tuna. If you feed tuna, feed human grade. The tuna is cat food is what’s left that humans won’t eat and because of contamination of our oceans, fish of any kind, could be bad for them. Ground, human grade chicken or turkey is a better alternative. Any help or questions you might have, just email me, and I will try to help. I have had years of taking care of critter and have learned from experience. I don’t always win, but I keep trying.

Posted by suzydstristan | August 12, 2017, 5:46 PM
  11. Cedarcide is safe for all pets. It’s is cedar oil. You lightly spritz it on body and then in about a minute, you can use a flea comb to get the dead ones out. Another alternative is apple cider vinegar. Fleas hate it. SAFE! Just be careful around the face.

Posted by suzydstristan | August 12, 2017, 5:55 PM
  12. Did the vet recommend an appetite stimulant? That may help. Also, I am the tooth fairy for cats so if you email me at pilch92@aol.com and give me your address, I will send him some crocheted catnip toys.

Posted by 15andmeowing | August 12, 2017, 6:16 PM
  13. Bubba is a tough guy and hopefully he’ll hang in there. Are there are apartment buildings where the rent would be less than renting a house?

Posted by Lynda | August 12, 2017, 9:11 PM
  14. Flea’s are a big pain,and the usual stuff the little boogers are getting resistant to it,hope you find somewhere cheaper and that Bubba starts to eat more cat food,xx Rachel

Posted by speedyrabbit | August 13, 2017, 12:20 AM
  15. Thank you very much for your update about kitties and you, Jen. I’ve been worried of you since June Buggie and Rumpy have gone from your place……Oh please don’t feel forlorn because we are thinking of you, Jen. Of course, we live very far each other but we think of you a lot. I’m still worried of Bubba, even though he has started eating his cat food with tuna. I very much agree with what the vet say and as long as he eats tuna, I think it’s ok, it’s not enough for cat meal though…like you said. I hope that Bubba’s lesion in his mouth will be ok……I’ve just sent small something for your kitties to your current address, so I hope Bubba will love some of them….please look after yourself, Jen.
    Love, from Angel, Kevin and mom. ( with kitties, too)

Posted by eripanwkevin | August 13, 2017, 4:37 AM
  16. Bubba looks healthier in the pics you have posted. 😊 I am sure he will keep on going. The flea thing is a pain….actually, washing all bedding and any washable soft furnishings in hot detergent is best control. Also, throw out (if you can afford to) pillows and cushions. They are so easy for fleas to bury into, away from any control measures, and eggs can last for years. Vacuum every square inch of your place with the nozzle of your vacuum cleaner (to get the most suction) and while you are still finding live fleas, you must do this every day. No amount of applied controls to your pets will work well enough if there are hidden eggs still in your home. Flea eggs are tough little enemies.
    Good luck with the job hunt. If you find something, maybe you won’t have to move.

Posted by colettebytes | August 13, 2017, 5:13 AM
  17. Awwwwwwwhhhhhh, sounds like the perfect way to spend the day off to me. Is there any room in that bed for you? They must all be there to comfort you. And they are always the ones to feel the unrest you must have right now. Cheers,H

Posted by helentastic67 | August 13, 2017, 6:38 AM
  18. Savor the day off like your bud savors tuna. Hope he feels better soon.
    P.S. I use lavender essential oil for added flea control and CBC oil is a pawsome additive for arthritis/anxiety. We use it to supplement Elsa’s seizure meds and she’s been seizure free for a while now. Good luck.

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | August 13, 2017, 10:16 AM
  19. Mee-you Jenn yur Bubba iss a fighter!! Mee iss usin Advantage 18 flea treetmint…just 2 dropss efurry 2 weekss on mee fur an NO fleass. Wee had a wet wet Spring an summer so not sure if that meenss more or less fleass??
    An LadyMum said to tell you tur rite about tuna fur katss…it can lead to tummy trubull..
    Mee has an idea: Can you buy Blue Wilderness tuna? It iss berry tummy an tasty an not so hard on a kat’ss tummy an other organss….
    An LadyMum said a 1/4 Mirtazipine can stimulate appytite without messin a kat uppy; Nylablue was on it fur 18 months an it werked grate on her….
    Mee iss sendin POTP to Bubba an ~~~head rubsss~~~ to you Jenn!!!
    Siddhartha Henry =^,.^=

Posted by Nylabluesmum | August 13, 2017, 7:13 PM
  20. Your vet and I agree. When they get they level of picky about food, the “not the best nutritional choice” beats out not eating, especially because they aren’t terribly hungry and will not eat for a really long time. I’m glad you’ve found a way to relieve the arthritis. It has made it very difficult for many of our pets. And it’s pretty hard on the humans, too.

Posted by Marilyn Armstrong | August 13, 2017, 10:02 PM
  21. Glad to hear you have some good ‘me time’ with your furries. We’re having issues with fleas here too — our vet says that many of the standard treatments no longer work as fleas have become resistant to them. We do wonder why they still continue to sell them…

Posted by Animalcouriers | August 14, 2017, 3:15 AM
  22. kitten here being treated for ringworm for 5 weeks…how did this happen…it seems to have worked but now I have a patch…arghhhh..I know how you feel…

Posted by murphysmission | August 14, 2017, 4:40 AM
  23. Two ideas to get Bubba to eat a more cat-appropriate diet. One is to buy Weruva’s Pumpkin Jack Splash or the cheaper version by Petco Soulistic Luna Tuna. It IS real “human grade” tuna with added vitamins and minerals. It looks like people food. The second is to add nutrients to the human tuna. I think they make packets of nutrients for people to add when they feed raw.

Posted by Cathy Keisha | August 14, 2017, 11:04 AM
  24. Sounds like a well-deserved break is needed by the cats and you. Hope snuggling with your fur pack is restful.

Posted by noofmitchell | August 14, 2017, 3:42 PM
  25. My kitty Mary Jane passed away last night. She was 15 years old. Today was the hardest day ever. My one dog kept giving me hugs every time I started crying. Sasha the bird was trying her hardest to cheer me up. The other 3 dogs stayed by me as if to say I am here for you. I know working 2 jobs is hard. When raising my son I worked 2 full time jobs during the week and cleaned offices on the week end. I hardly slept and to this day I don’t know how I did it. I know being young had a lot to do with it because I wouldn’t be able to do that now. I hope your flea situation goes away. It is a lot of hard work to get rid of them.I hope you enjoyed your day off and your kitty’s

Posted by sassybrat1904 | August 16, 2017, 12:03 AM

Santa’s elves are watching you.... but they can be bribed with cat treats. #santa #christmas #housepanther #blackcat #blackcatsofinstagram #caturday #cat #catsofinstagram #catstagram #cats