cats, pets

I’m Getting Better. The Cats are Getting Worse.

I told you last April about Little Girl’s fearful behavior and Graybie’s aggressive behavior toward her.

Since taking her to the vet, I’ve tried Feliway diffusers and calming collars. I’ve bought interactive toys and engaged in play with the cats. I’ve given Little Girl time alone and fed her away from the others.

Little Girl, who is so afraid of Graybie she pooped under the bed.

Things got a bit better, but they have since taken a turn for the worse. She is now peeing and pooping outside the litter box. Little Girl acts fearful of Graybie, and he, in return, acts aggressively toward her.

I took Little Girl back to the vet today, and we talked about next steps. I’m taking Graybie in Thursday for an exam. I’m moving the cat tree into my bedroom to give her a safe space for climbing, and I’m going to engage in play one on one with Graybie daily.  I’m also starting them both on meds.

The vet is also making contacts with the folks at Auburn Vet School to find out if there is a Cat Behaviorist in the area.

Graybie, who acts like a turd toward Little Girl.

In the meantime, if you have any suggestions about things I can do to address Little Girl’s fearful behavior and Graybie’s aggressive behavior, I am open to anything.

23 thoughts on “I’m Getting Better. The Cats are Getting Worse.

1. Are there videos on YouTube or on line that might be of help with positive reinforcement play is all I can think of in addition to what you’re doing. Good luck with this.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | August 7, 2018, 1:58 PM
  2. Poor Little Girl; I feel so sorry. I hope you find a solution soon. They look like my two black kitties, Izzy and Lizzy; so pretty.

Posted by justdrivewillyou | August 7, 2018, 2:10 PM
  3. I have had to separate cats during my lifetime…at least once? now, I am working on my idiotic human “marriage” and have decided to run away with Russell Crowe who named his favorite horse “Honey” and whom I adore and understand. because I too want to throw a phone. Divorce is an option for humans, but after 50 years of “marriage” I am trapped in hell! plus, I no longer believe in veterinarians? help? at the end of my rope! god bless, little girl. maybe she needs her own space like I do? I love your writings! and I am pretty sure “James Mason” from “Bigger than Life” movie is the other human in my household…see the film.

Posted by murphysmission | August 7, 2018, 2:18 PM
  4. I don’t have any suggestions. You are doing everything I know. Maybe they will put Graybie on a sort of tranquilizer. Hugs.

Posted by Kate Crimmins | August 7, 2018, 2:41 PM
  5. Have you tried Hemp CBD oil? It often assists with anxiety in dogs and cats (and people). It really helped my Silky terrier with his anxiety. It has no THC and can be legally purchased on the internet. CBDAmericalShaman.com even has a fish flavor for cats; I used beef and cheese flavor for my dogs.

Posted by KDKH | August 7, 2018, 4:39 PM
  6. I can only offer” purrayers” that things will get better for you kitties. Giving Little Girl her own safe space as much as you can is probably the best thing you can do at this point.

Posted by catladymac | August 7, 2018, 5:15 PM
  7. I hope you get many comments with good tips and tricks… and maybe one will solve the problem… hugs to you we hope for good news from the cat-front ;O)

Posted by easyweimaraner | August 8, 2018, 12:38 AM
  8. Damn cats I tell you! When I bought Mika home almost 2 weeks ago she pee’s and poo’ed on the couch! She kept stalking me and making strange noises u til I realised she was waiting for me to get off the couch so she could ‘use’ it! I just had to wait her out. She gave up and used the tray. Damn cats! It’s all I have. Cheers,H

Posted by helentastic67 | August 8, 2018, 5:37 AM
  9. I’m more into dogs than cats, so wish you luck. Is it jealousy perhaps? Who came first into the household, Graybie or Little Girl?

Posted by pensitivity101 | August 8, 2018, 8:21 AM
  10. I think there’s serious instinct at work. It seems very harsh, but I think you’re facing DNA at work.

Posted by Marilyn Armstrong | August 8, 2018, 4:56 PM
  11. MasterB is aggressor by the neighbourhood cats. I I take him out under armed guard, and squirt the super soaker at any cat who comes within fifteen feet of him they tend to move off, while he seems to think they are leaving him alone without any intervention from me. He then behaves more confidently, and has been known to sit companionably with one of them. I suppose I am trying to modify the behaviour of both sides.
    Does Graybie like Catnip? If you get really good strong catnip he may get blissed out by it and ignoreLittle Girl.

Posted by Isobel | August 9, 2018, 11:12 AM
  12. We’re so sorry. Is it possible to separate them for a while, Jen? Sometimes, these situations require a “reset”/reintroduction, even if the kitties have been around each other their whole lives. In any case, we sure hope you all can figure this out.

Posted by meowmeowmans | August 12, 2018, 10:35 PM

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )