activism

A Reprieve for Bela

We learned last week that Bela the German Shepherd was accepted by Best Friends Animal Society. Now we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief that he will not die before his time.

Bela's owner died recently. Her will stipulated her German Shepherd either be placed with Best Friends Animal Society, or euthanized, cremated, and his ashes mixed with hers.

Bela’s owner died recently. Her will stipulated her German Shepherd either be placed with Best Friends Animal Society, or euthanized, cremated, and his ashes mixed with hers.

And we can all forget that it was even an issue.

I feel bad for Best Friends for having been thrust in the middle of that media frenzy, thanks to the jerks that leaked the story. Best Friends staff actually learned of Bela by reading the newspaper article.

It’s only my personal opinion, but Best Friends pretty much HAD to accept Bela. If not, the nut jobs would have mounted a media campaign against them, egged on behind the scenes by the animal agriculture industry. Their donations would have dropped, and more animals would have died.

But they did accept Bela, and now some of us are scrutinizing their motives. Did they take in Bela because it was the right thing to do, or did they realize all the donations that would come their way for having done so?

The worst part about this story is that we forgot Bela even before a decision was made. Just like we forget the millions of other animals euthanized each year. Just like we forget the animals that live lives that make death look preferable.

Out of sight, out of mind.

22 thoughts on “A Reprieve for Bela

1. I’m glad for Bela… but there is something in the background of the story what’s a little bitter…..

Posted by easyweimaraner | December 26, 2014, 11:13 AM
  2. good news!

Posted by Fergus Gold Post | December 26, 2014, 11:15 AM
  3. I agree. It’s too easy to push one case and make a big splash while completely ignoring all the others in need. It’s all about people and their agendas.

Posted by Bernadette | December 26, 2014, 12:00 PM
  4. People are just crazy. They make decisions without having all the facts. You can see that in the newspapers all the time. And even worse, they take issue with people who do have the facts. May this dog be able to adapt to a totally different life than he was used to.

Posted by katecrimmins | December 26, 2014, 12:01 PM
  5. Well said. I could not agree more.

Posted by Mel | December 26, 2014, 12:24 PM
  6. They took in Bella because that is what they do. they have worked with dogs like Bella before and might be able to rehab him or at least give him a very good quality of life

Posted by Indy | December 26, 2014, 12:44 PM
  7. My people visited Best Friends Animal Society a few months ago when they were in the area. It’s an awesome place. They really care about the animals there.

Posted by Bongo | December 26, 2014, 1:55 PM
  8. For my money Best Friends has done more good than not for hundreds of animals through the years. Whatever the motives for taking Bela, he’s there. He’s safe. And, they continue to do good work. My humble opinion.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | December 26, 2014, 2:47 PM
  9. I’m pleased that Best Friends has got publicity out of this. However, I agree with you that we have a long way to go before we can rest easy that we are doing the right thing by animals on this earth — whether farm animals or pets.

Posted by anniegoldfisher | December 26, 2014, 9:32 PM
  10. I should have added wildlife. Killing them and destroying their habitats isn’t the best way to go.

Posted by anniegoldfisher | December 26, 2014, 9:32 PM
  11. I heard about Bela and was so happy. Now she just needs furever home.

Posted by Hi folks. It's BJ Pup | December 27, 2014, 1:01 PM
  12. I’m glad that Bela was saved! Whatever the reason was….he is alive…..

Posted by eripanwkevin | December 28, 2014, 7:23 AM
  13. I agree with you that if the shelter didn’t do it, they would have had an immediate and nasty blowback. Unfortunately, the solution may not be in Bela’s best interest as you noted so eloquently in an earlier post. I would not want my dogs sitting in a cage day after day to be adopted, especially with their age and health issues. I’d rather they be put down after my death. Nor do I want to worry about how they would get treated by someone else who may or may not love them as much as I do. Granted, I’d be dead, but still. . . they deserve better.

Nancy

Posted by dogear6 | December 28, 2014, 9:50 PM

1. Pingback: I’ve Partnered with Best Friends Animal Society! | Rumpydog - February 3, 2015

Yella is all worn out! #zzzzzz #fatcat #cat #cats #caturday #catstagram #catsofinstagram #gingercat